Movie Defense Force: Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God - A Shockingly Faithful Film

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God - A Shockingly Faithful Film

Bruce Payne is still the greatest.

Watch Video

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I have seen this movie many times, and I enjoy it without irony. It's what I wanted the first movie to be, and even on its budget of six dollars, it does its best and works within its limits with enough humility not to become pretentious, but with enough ambition to make the best of what it gets to work with. The plot was a bit weird to me--wait, so, they don't know how divine magic works? But there's a cleric right there healing people and making earthquakes and shit; why don't they know how divine magic works? Did no one ask the clerics?--but the Easter eggs alone make up for that. I call Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God a genuinely successful movie, though I do so while pointedly ignoring how much the CGI kind of made me cringe. The dragon god looked like Liu Kang's animality at the end of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

(PS: Mr. Sterling, you should totally do an episode about Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. I'd love to see how deep you have to dig to defend that one.)

lucidofdreams

Sep 19, 2010
What I've always told people when asked about the D&D movies is "Wrath of the Dragon God is what we wanted our campaigns to be, but the first D&D shows what it always ended up like."

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I think I saw this once.

I'm not entirely certain - because I had to get seriously drunk to watch it all the way through... still, I do faintly recall laughing

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
That last bit killed me! "The best CG since Jurassic park (silence) ok that was a lie (more awkward silence)"

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
You should do Death to Smoochy jim. That was a movie I thought was really good and weird black comedy that everyone else hated. Give it a shot. John Stewart won't shut up about how bad of a actor in it he was.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Having seen this and the first D&D movie, this is the superior film. The pacing is better, the characters are a bit more interesting and best of all it's actually faithful to the source material. I do not consider this a bad film in any regard.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Scorpid said:
You should do Death to Smoochy jim. That was a movie I thought was really good and weird black comedy that everyone else hated. Give it a shot. John Stewart won't shut up about how bad of a actor in it he was.
I don't care what anyone says. I liked Death To Smoochy.

I honestly can't imagine why it has such bad reviews and word of mouth. I thought the actors were great in their (admittedly over-the-top) roles, the story was pitch black while staying whimsical, and I thought many of the characters were endearing (if a little broken).

Maybe there was a big party with all the movie critics and Danny Devito made an ass of himself that year or something.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
After having seen a few of these videos, I wonder; what are the exact lyrics of the opening theme? There are some parts that I just can't figure out.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
I remember watching this for a laugh and expecting a similar train wreck to the previous movie. I was super surprised to find that this movie was actually really, really good and a lot of fun!

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
bluegate said:
After having seen a few of these videos, I wonder; what are the exact lyrics of the opening theme?
I would be happy to provide you with the precise and exact lyrics:

Movie Defense Force
[something that sounds like the word "override"]
Seeing good in movies that society thinks suck
Movie Defense Force

[something that sounds like the words "gopher pie"]
If you came to laugh at bad films, I'm afraid you're out of luck
Movie Defense Force

[something that sounds like the words "miracles die"]

I...I have hearing problems. I watch TV with the closed captioning on.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
the fact there are 2 Dungeons & Dragons movies raises the question of how many more they made. With a low enough budget, they could crank out at least 1 a year.
JimB said:
I have seen this movie many times, and I enjoy it without irony. It's what I wanted the first movie to be, and even on its budget of six dollars, it does its best and works within its limits with enough humility not to become pretentious, but with enough ambition to make the best of what it gets to work with. The plot was a bit weird to me--wait, so, they don't know how divine magic works? But there's a cleric right there healing people and making earthquakes and shit; why don't they know how divine magic works? Did no one ask the clerics?--but the Easter eggs alone make up for that. I call Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God a genuinely successful movie, though I do so while pointedly ignoring how much the CGI kind of made me cringe. The dragon god looked like Liu Kang's animality at the end of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

(PS: Mr. Sterling, you should totally do an episode about Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. I'd love to see how deep you have to dig to defend that one.)
OMG, YES! There's not enough video game movies Jim tried to defend, and there may be too many for him to try! Come on, Jim. Take your best shot!

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
HA! Yes, I love this one most because it has classes, and D&D mechanics talk, and to be blunt, the barbarian woman breaks a mold or two since women generally get relegated to archers, healers, rogues, and mages, or equivalents depending on setting.

I frikking love DnD!

Captcha: runny nose
Nope, stuffy.

Jan 12, 2012
Darth_Payn said:
the fact there are 2 Dungeons & Dragons movies raises the question of how many more they made. With a low enough budget, they could crank out at least 1 a year.
There's one called Book of Vile Darkness that came out a couple of years ago in the UK; I don't know the relationship with the previous two films, as I've never even seen a copy of it. I suppose I could find it on some torrent site, but I keep hoping against hope I'll see it on some cable channel at 2 in the afternoon.

OT: I remember very little about this movie other than the cleric dying in a spectacularly gory and schlocky fashion, but I think it was influential in me starting D&D. It did make it seem cool to go in there straight-faced and just try and be heroes, rather than the snarky antiheroes I was used to seeing.

Also, do you want to see this movie? The whole thing's on Youtube! No idea why it hasn't been flagged for copyright, but it's been up for a few months, so maybe the copyright lapsed or the people making it are just glad that someone out there is enjoying it.
[HEADING=3]Watch Here[/HEADING]

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Darth_Payn said:
The fact that there are two Dungeons & Dragons movies raises the question of how many more they made.
There's one called Book of Vile Darkness that came out a couple of years ago in the UK; I don't know the relationship with the previous two films, as I've never even seen a copy of it.
It came out a year or two ago here in America, too. Syfy plays it now and then; it's been on in the last month or so. It has fuck-all to do with either of the first two movies. Some prick doesn't get chosen to be a paladin, so he becomes evil in a quest to save his father from evil, and there's this guy who can turn into bugs who's fucking immortal and immune to all harm and all fucking Xanatos on everything, the GMPC of the movie if I've ever seen one. It's not good on its own, and it's even worse because it promised me I'd see a mind flayer and instead of a mini-Cthulhu they made the mind flayer be just a human guy with his mouth stitched shut who used psychic powers to talk through the mouths of half-clad, crawling, human female slaves. I could not have been more disappointed.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Ah yes I was also quite surprised by this moving actually being dnd. I mean it was not very good, but I liked it quite a lot anyway as like I said it was actually dnd.

Rebel_Raven said:
HA! Yes, I love this one most because it has classes, and D&D mechanics talk, and to be blunt, the barbarian woman breaks a mold or two since women generally get relegated to archers, healers, rogues, and mages, or equivalents depending on setting.

I frikking love DnD!

Captcha: runny nose
Nope, stuffy.
If you love dnd and mold breaking I would highly recommend the book NPCs by Drew Hayes, it has loads of both and is very funny to boot.