Movie Defense Force: Event Horizon - You Won't Need Eyes To See

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Event Horizon - You Won't Need Eyes To See

"Why does this need defending?" LOOK JUST LET ME HAVE THIS, OKAY!?

Watch Video

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
I had absolutely no idea this was considered a bad movie by some. I know it's not a perfect movie, but it does suspense so damn well, I just assumed many had labeled it a 'good' or at least average film.

As an unrelated point I crack this one out each Halloween and challenge friends and family members to watch it with me, as it's hilarious to see people's first reactions to the film as they're normally so horrified by it. I find people just don't expect it to be as scary as it is.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I was waiting for this one ever since I came across all the awful reviews it got. I only watched it recently, but I really enjoyed it.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Blazing Steel said:
people just don't expect it to be as scary as it is.

and that's why it gets you...
"Oh look it's Sam Neill, he's a nice guy.... oh god what is he doing!!!!"

Agreed Jim, this is an overlooked classic, an overlooked "I'm not going to sleep for a week" classic!

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
putowtin said:
Blazing Steel said:

The denial which even I went through the first time, where you tell yourself that "He's not doing that! He can't! Nope Nope Nope..."

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Definitely lost in the Warp for a while there, but changed in a way that is far more subtle than red goat-demons swinging hellfire swords at you because RAEG.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Of the many horror films I've seen, and I too am not an easy scare, this is the one movie that legitimately scared me. Both the first time I saw it as a kid and even recently. Shame how underrated it is.

Sep 24, 2008
It's amazing how keyed into the world you think you are via the web, but you're still so ignorant of the views of your favorite things.

I saw Event Horizon in the theater when it came out. I got a girlfriend from it. I love it. I love it good.

The ending always felt weak to me. I wanted the Ship to go into full Batshit crazy instead of electing an Omnipresent Avatar like Jason Voorhees.

But now that I can feel that the Omnipresent Avatar was touched by one of the Dark Gods* to do his bidding, everything is so much awesome.

somewhere on Mars, the names of the Valiant who first came across the Terrible Enemy are etched and muttered reverence to.

*Ten bucks says it was Tzeentch.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
How was this ever bad or panned!!! I'm out raged this is a fantastic film, a master class of horror and sci-fi I love it and it sits as one of my most loved fimls ever. Don't feel this needed defending but spreading the word of a great film never hurts and you defended it well from whatever philistines would attack it.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Jim, this format is clearly running out of steam. I like to listen to you talking about movies. You should just face the fact that there is not an infinite number of movies around that are a) well-known enough for people to care, b) considered bad by many and c) not really that bad.

Just retool the show to Jim Sterling's Movie-Hour and send Moviebob a fruit basket and you won't have to face the same question over and over all week.

Would be a shame about that jingle, though, it is really catching.

DSP_Zulu

Jun 4, 2013
stupid facebook plugin never lets me post....

i wanted to reply to the guy who asked how this could possibly be a prequel to Warhammer 40k...

... an unprotected ship heads into The Warp..... (no Gellar Field)...

and you have the Event Horizon.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Whenever I watch Event Horizon I like to think of it as the 'Dead Space' movie.

Also I don't think I've ever actually met someone who hated this film - does a film qualify for a Movie Defense Force just by virtue of being hated by critics?

Because I can think of a loooooooooooooong list of films that critics despised and everyone else on the planet loved.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Blazing Steel said:
putowtin said:
Blazing Steel said:

The denial which even I went through the first time, where you tell yourself that "He's not doing that! He can't! Nope Nope Nope..."
it certainly took me by surprise, as the hunky scientist is usually to good guy. instead Lawrence Fishburn ended up being the protagonist, and i thought that was really cool, and his role wasn't a role that black people normally play as, and he puled it off quite well.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Event Horizon is considered a horror? really?

I've seen it many times and it's a good thriller as well as a good film but not really a horror.
i thought the same thing, still i throughly enjoyed the movie.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Personally I like to think of it as "The Shining in Space" :3

Anyone else ever slow down/pause the film when they're watching the video log of the first crew? Particularly about half-way through the movie when it just starts playing by itself and the images come through really clear.

There's some really fucked up stuff going on in that video log. o.o

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
That's a great movie, on par with the Alien movies. I certainly didn't enjoy it any less. It needs no defense.

Pandorum on the other hand could have used some spotlight. I liked that one a lot as well, but it's not all that well known, I think. Granted - I saw it on TV, and didn't expect anything of it.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
"Why does this need defending?" LOOK JUST LET ME HAVE THIS, OKAY!?
Exactly what I thought, actually. This is a very good movie and, yes, this is one of the few that actually managed to affect me. It's not even that bloody, but then most gore fests actually fail to be scary anyway. The implications and hints in Event Horizon are scarier than mere blood ever could be.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Everyone I know who has watched this movie agrees that it was a hard R rating away from being an instant classic.