Movie Defense Force: Freddy vs. Jason

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
One I haven't seen yet. Not sure why I never got around to watching it. My friends that enjoy terrible horror flicks liked it but it always seemed there was something else I wanted to watch more. Too bad netflix doesn't have it streamable. I'll have to correct this mistake in my film viewing post haste.

Scorpid said:
I'd like to see him do a Sunshine review. That's a movie I thought was great but everyone else seems to hate.
That's my favorite Danny Boyle flick. Massively under-rated.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
Who didn't like this movie who liked the wo frnachises? Granted, it wasn't scary in the least, but come on, none of the films are scary past maybe the secon or third one. It was a "dream match" that they actually made a movie for before this became something we could believe was possible. Post-Avengers, this makes sense as a great way to get butts in seats. Before that, when this film actually came out? It was unthinkable.

And I also liked how the two had very diffferent styles of combat, how the "dream master" clashed with the "unstoppable force" both in their early kills and the match itself. And Jason won, which is what I wanted to have happen. I loved watching this movie, and I'd watch it again any day wth some friends, popcorn, and a free license to riff on it as much as I wanted.

I still think about that fat jerk's line, "This Everclear is kicking my ass!"

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
This is how old horror franchises are kept current. Not by rebooting them and transposing them to the time that they started - where it was not only possible, but entirely likely to live in areas that are utter technological deadzones, but by taking all the prior lore and mythology and inflicting it onto the current generation of hot 18-20somethings. I find movies like this to be so much better than the string of remakes we've had. It sticks nicely to the original characters and keeps them relevant in an age where everyone's more aware of their environment than ever, communication lines are far more easily accessible, and people are often more likely to fight than flee. Even the drunk partiers' first reaction was to light Jason up, not that it stopped him. Instead of a crispy critter, they got a mass-murdering machete-wielding maniac, on fire! It's still a fun horror romp without being so tongue in cheek that it stops being scary.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Jim, you wanna know why I was disappointed? Ash didn't show up.

The cliffhanger ending to this movie made people want to see Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash, talks of the script were made, the script WAS made, but the movie was just never brought to light. Instead we got the comic, which admittedly was a lot of fun (the sequel not as much, didn't enjoy the artwork and Ash didn't do anything).

So yeah, I admit that's a bit of an odd reason but it felt like the Jason Goes to Hell set up Freddy Vs. Jason while Freddy Vs. Jason set up F v. J. v. Ash, yet it left us disappointed. It's somewhat of a retroactive hate for me.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
The only thing I remember out of this movie was that the girl I was with while seeing it became so bored by the film she randomly offered me oral during it, which I accepted...and yeah, I don't remember anything about the movie.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
I agree pretty much but I can't go so far as to say its better than any of the solo efforts. Nightmare 1 and 3 are simply better movies, imo. And the first Friday movie, while not necessarily "good" is notable for being one of the 2 main movies (the other being Halloween) that catapulted the slasher genre into mainstream popularity.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I haven't seen any of the Nightmare on Elm Street films, mostly because they're not on Netflix (at least in Canada) and my parents wouldn't let me watch them as a kid. I have seen the Friday the 13th films though and yeah they were terrible, entertaining, but terrible. I did like Freddy Vs. Jason. As Jim said, it did seem like a step up from the source material of either franchise, and the means in which the two entities were brought into conflict was actually quite clever as opposed to being contrived as is usually the case with big crossover events.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I think the reason this movie got so much hate can be boiled down to one word: Sequelitis. Or to expand that into an URL:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Sequelitis
The longer both series got, the more ridiculous their overall stories became, and it culminated here in many fans' minds.
It would seem most of Jim's choices will be horror movies, since they're the ones with sequels that get cranked out the most. Can we get MovieBob involved in this? Pretty please?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I love the Freddy and Jason characters. An i think FvJ was excellent, the story worked, they stayed true to both source materials and best of all, made Freddy a scary psycho again instead of a clown. I was a first dissapointed that Kane Hodder wasnt Jason. But when you look at the film, it works with the new guy. Jason is tall, slow and afraid of water. Freddy is shorter, faster and afraid of fire. It also works when they fight with Freddy ducking and dodging hits and Jason being unable to.....although that guy is a tank and can a lot of damage. An just watching Robert Englund play Freddy is a joy to see, i like a killer that takes so much glee and enjoyment in what he is doing. Unlike the Elm St remake, god that sucked.

Best of all, if you read any of the other scripts for this movie, they were terrible. Pity we never got a Freddy v Jason v Ash. I read the script and it was great. I think they made it a comic book in the end.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Hmm... Well, I think I should watch this sometime...
And now is as good a time as any.

EDIT: Alright, I watched it. Was a pretty interesting comedy.
I was expecting horror though.
Oh well.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
When I first saw Freddy VS Jason for the first time I really liked it, I guess that's because I didn't have too high expectations. My only expectation was to be entertained.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Outside of Blair Witch 2, which I never watched, every single Movie Defense Force has been movies that I enjoyed, and spend a while not even realizing that they are disliked by many. Freddy Versus Jason is definitely a stupid slasher flick, but it is very good at being a slasher flick, and I was genuinely impressed at how they made the disparate mythos fit together in clever ways.

Also, how someone can go from Jason X to this and say that THIS is bad is beyond me.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
It's debatable if Versus had better special effects than the original Nightmare on Elm Street. I mean, do you remember the face-in-the-walls-and-ceiling scenes? That shit was dope.

Pennywise12528

Jun 25, 2012
I was waiting for this one, since it being in the intro genuinely gave me a surprise. I had heard grumblings about Friday the 13th fans feeling that Jason was misused in the film, but I mainly came from the other camp and had an absolute blast.

I also agree for the most part with the review, but I'm not entirely sold on the concept of FvJ being the best visually out of either series. The best off of Jason's plate, maybe, but some of the NoES films really took the fact that there's pretty much no limit to stages you could plop Freddy in and ran with it. Ol' Burnface has slashed his way through an unearthly cathedral, a minotaur-worthy labyrinth made out of boiler-room equipment, M.C. Escher's stairways [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_%28M._C._Escher%29], a literal planet-sized junkyard, the moment of his own conception in the prison of a hundred maniacs, and the magic schoolbus.

The actual scripts could vary from okay to godawful, but those sets man. Those sets.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I was under the impression this movie was almost universally enjoyed.

Surprising choice for a defense force episode from my perspective.
Next you'll tell me we need to defend Rocky 4 or Commando.

As for the video I pretty much agree with everything.
The original Nightmare movie would be the closest contender for best flick out of the bunch but that's really just preference.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
yeah, the idea is good and was amusing to watch. has some good kills in it and compared to the previous titles, it is better made. maybe i will watch it again when i see it in my rental store.

btw, i have the feeling he will do the fifth element one day.