Movie Defense Force: Rampage

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Mossberg Shotty said:
Of all the movies you could choose to "defend" I don't understand why you would pick this one. I saw it a few years back and absolutely despised it. It's not a clever, realistic movie about the horrors of mass murder, its a celebration of it. The movie is completely glorifying the serial killer.

Maybe I could understand if he died at the end or something, but no. He lives, gets rich and posts a video on the internet explaining how awesome he is, and that only good things can come from murdering your fellow man. In fact, he's portrayed as something of a hero, the way he "opens everyones eyes to how corrupt society is."

Some of the scenes literally turned my fucking stomach, like when he mows down an innocent group of young women after showing them his face. But you only have good things to say about that, right?
Real life doesn't follow a three act structure. Real life doesn't play fair - good people suffer, bastards live like princes, and sometimes murderers escape.

The movie turned your stomach? Good! That's the whole point!
Thats a weak excuse. I'm quite familiar with the fact that life isn't fair, and that good things happen to bad people, but I don't see anything redeemable about this portrayal, and that doesn't even seem like the point its trying to hammer home. And saying "Thats the point" can be plastered onto anything as justification, but that hardly makes it valid. That would be like if I said that the point of Indie movies was to wate two hours of your life. Also the whole thing about how the film somehow encourages the idea that 'murder is bad; seems to fall a little flat.

Sorry, but you don't get points for pointing out the well established/painfully obvious.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
It looks well made, and I was disturbed by just looking at the clips. I think this movie should exist But as someone who is a good friend of a girl that survived five shots from the Utøya massacre I dont think I would stomach to watch it.

They should make a good movie that conveys the sudden dread and fear from beeing in a chaos caused by a single sad person going postal. PTSD for children abounds!

Hypocritically I would not condem a fetish-torture movie pshycological and physical on this this rampage guy after we got him humanized. I think there might be some evolutionary mechanics that makes me want something like that. A instinct of revenge or justice. I dont want that to happen to actual mass murderers though, because we should distance ourselves from them, even if we should understand them.

I feel confident in using Us/them terminology here. They are human, but they are the worst kind. If your life goes is shit dont go blame everyone and everything else.

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
There are some Uwe gems out there I think his ego is what gives him the bad rap. Rampage was pretty good and when I saw it I always wondered why he doesn't bring more stuff like this out. I also thought it was based on the game Rampage, of course, and I was dissapointed that it didn't have giant gorrilas, lizards or wolves.

His House of The Dead movie was fun to watch as well, I enjoyed it.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
Ariseishirou said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I wouldn't call this American violence, I'd call it violence.
But everyone's speaking in an American accent.

Hollywood thin? Really? I must live in Hollywood then.
Where do you live, then? CDC stats list the average BMI of every single state but Utah as overweight, and Utah is under by a sliver (http://www.insureme.com/insurance/bmi-index-state)>

You've obviously never eaten in a StarBucks during an election year.
I think it's "Starbucks" and yes, I absolutely have. And there were plenty of fat people in it. Or are you suggesting that they stuff them full of thin people on purpose during election years for the cameras? Because that proves my point, really.
Yeah, his anecdotal evidence is WAY WORSE than yours.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Undeadpool said:
Ariseishirou said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I wouldn't call this American violence, I'd call it violence.
But everyone's speaking in an American accent.

Hollywood thin? Really? I must live in Hollywood then.
Where do you live, then? CDC stats list the average BMI of every single state but Utah as overweight, and Utah is under by a sliver (http://www.insureme.com/insurance/bmi-index-state)>

You've obviously never eaten in a StarBucks during an election year.
I think it's "Starbucks" and yes, I absolutely have. And there were plenty of fat people in it. Or are you suggesting that they stuff them full of thin people on purpose during election years for the cameras? Because that proves my point, really.
Yeah, his anecdotal evidence is WAY WORSE than yours.
CDC statistics are anecdotal evidence these days?

Since we're talking about the American obesity epidemic, let's have on about their failing public education system while we're at it. Seems relevant right about now.