Movie Defense Force: Repo! The Genetic Opera

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Repo! The Genetic Opera

This week's Movie Defense Force comes in a little glass vial. A little glass vial? A little glass vial!

Watch Video

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I actually liked the film, but it's fanbase seems very closely tied to the Rocky Horror fanbase (which I've grown to hate) so I don't think I could ever really get into it. Some of the exceptional high points of the movie for me were: The main character has a very Darth Vader-like vibe to him and Paris Hilton actually performs surprisingly well in her role.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I quite like this movie. Songs were catchy, the singers were quite good, it's always fun to see Paris Hilton's face fall off, and Zydrate Anatomy continues to be a favourite song of mine.

Granted the whole poisoning the medicine bit left me rather confused the first time around but rewatchings made it easier to comprehend.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
This is definitely one I am glad to see defended (by someone other than me)

Was the directing perfect? Not even close
That "Seventeen" song was shit? Absolutely
Deeply flawed film? No question

But it just had so much personality. I gotta love it on some level for just being something I haven't seen done 1000 times before

nayrbarr

Aug 11, 2010
I've always loved this film. My friends do not. Thanks for making me not feel alone in that.

(Also, *finally* I've been waiting for this since the series started!)

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
I will take this movie over Rocky Horror any day! No complaints from me Jim, this one definitely needs and deserves to be defended!

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Do people dislike this? I always liked it, it's quite refreahing and some of the songs are quite good (except seventeen that one is downright awful). I like that it fully embodies the time period in which is was made, everything about it just screams early 00s and i find that kinda charming.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
This was a nice change up for me. I was worried that this series was already falling into a rut. Not that the movies didn't need defending, but afraid that the defending method was already becoming stale.

I really enjoy this series Jim. I don't know if that means anything to you or not, but there it is. The only criticism I'd ever have said is that for a few episodes it seemed like things were just getting bogged down in the "people say X, but X doesn't matter" routine. And routine isn't what this show should offer. It's best when it's an episode like this, where it's a celebration of thing rather than focusing solely on it's detractors. So here are your appropriate KUDOS.

I did not care for REPO. But it had nothing to do with the premise, the design or even the acting. I just couldn't get into the musical side of it. And as someone who counts many screen musicals among my favorite films, that's a deal breaker. But my daughter likes it. Some of her friends like it. And good on them if they do. My generation had Rocky Horror, maybe REPO is their version of that. And there's nothing wrong with that.

btbushi

Jul 8, 2009
One thing I think you could have mentioned but didn't while discussing the movie's singing talent was Sarah Brightman (Blind Mag) of Phantom of the Opera fame.

Fun to see Repo! but this episode seemed to have less analysis of flaws, perceived or actual, than your previous ones. Lots of fun though, thanks for doing this!

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
I adore this movie!

Why? Because it has Sarah "la luna" Brightman in it!

Is the movie flawed? Sure. (Not enough Sarah Brightman, gosh darn it)

But does it have a very distinct charm? Certainly :)

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
This is one of those movies you can't base your opinion off of its poster.
I remember seeing the poster and being like "TIME TO JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER!"

and then since I did that I was disappointed with the film XD

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
My friend and I got this at Blockbuster when it was a new release for our "shitty movie night" and were surprised to find both of us actually liked it. Chase the Morning is goddamned beautiful.

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
Fappy said:
I actually liked the film, but it's fanbase seems very closely tied to the Rocky Horror fanbase (which I've grown to hate) so I don't think I could ever really get into it. Some of the exceptional high points of the movie for me were: The main character has a very Darth Vader-like vibe to him and Paris Hilton actually performs surprisingly well in her role.
She plays a spoiled, wealthy heiress to a major company that has a penchant for cosmetic surgery. She was essentially playing herself. Except her face falls off. And that's hilarious.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Jim, that looks immense! I thank you but I can't believe I never heard about this.

Clearly I need to pay more attention to what's going on in cinema generally.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I love this movie. In fact, a lot of people into more campy style horror I know really dug this film in a big way. It was something different and I think a lot of the music was actually pretty good (with a few huge stinkers in it).

sid

Jan 22, 2013
It looked weird and awesome enough for me to hit it up on google, watching it right now. Can't believe I never heard of this

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I remember this one. I was kinda disappointed in it honestly. I most kept watching it cause it has a great aesthetic but I found the singing to be spotty. Zyadrate Anatomy and Chase the Morning are awesome but if I?d been watching it in a theater I probably would have left at Mark It Up (yes it meant to be bad but it did it's job too well, isn't very funny to me and has out of place cartoon sound effects) or 17. Thankless Job sounds fucking awful to me as well but makes up for it by being funny at least. That actor can sing when he?s not doing the forced growly low voice thing. I wasn't fond of Rotti singing either.
I hear Paris Hilton actually donated much of the clothing in that movie so point for her! I've seen people avoid the movie just because she's in it but she isn't that bad.