Movie Defense Force: The Chronicles of Riddick

ErythorbicAcid

Apr 17, 2009
I freaking loved that movie, I don't even care. It had a really cool Conan in Space feel to it. Shoot, he even became king at the end of it!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I don't love this movie? Why? I never watched it...heck, I never watched any of these movies...probably should fix that someday. I've heard good things about the games too. A game based off of a movie that's actually good? A rare breed indeed.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Many seem to expect a lot more from this film than I was, I loved Pitch Black and this flick was pretty fun. Had a lot of fun art direction and good action, it was cheesy at parts but many movies are. People liked Star Trek and that was both disgustingly off what the series has been for years and took itself super serious.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
As the films are released the progressively get better in my opinion.

Riddick > Chronicles of Riddick > Pitch Black.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I have never claimed to love 80s movies and I actually liked Chronicles of Riddick. Not as much as Pitch Black, obviously. In fact, that's why (I'm sure) most people didn't like CoR... because it was so far from Pitch Black that if you watched it for a sequel to Pitch Black you'd come out of the theatre dissapointed.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Mangue Surfer said:
The problem is that the film is boring.
Truth, this is the movie's biggest problem. It's a handful of good scenes amid a gelatinous mass of gunk that takes forever to slog through to get to those good bits. I have no problem with the movie's plot being silly or Necromongers being suddenly The Big Bad Thing out of nowhere or any of that (except the prison planet's sun issues - that always bothers me, the whole "we can't even afford flying through the sunlight in our spaceship" thing becoming "well actually a human body can survive direct contact with that sunlight for quite a while as long as you douse it with water first, you'll just steam up a little" by the time they're making their escape - so much for consistency or holding to its convictions there, eh?), it's just freaking dull.

It's the kind of movie I might turn on in the background just for ambient noise while I'm doing something else, looking up to it when I hear one of the aforementioned good bits about to happen.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i also enjoyed this movie that i watched it several times. sure its not as good as pitch black but its enjoyable with some wise cracking remarks from diesel and some goofy action scenes. at least its better then the third one which really wasnt that good.

ripdajacker

Code Monkey
Oct 25, 2009
I loved this when I saw it years back, it was for some time my favorite movie. The crazy setting and the apparently how serious the movies takes itself, thattook me some ting to actually comprehend.
The scene where Vin Diesel saves that chick and the sun comes up and he's flexing and the water is evaporating of him. It just doesn't get any cooler!

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I'm in complete agreement here. this movie was aa lot of fun to watch. Isn't that what watching movies should be about at least some of the time?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
blackrave said:
My problem with Chronicles of Riddick wasn't with the movie itself
My problem is that it is sequel to Pitch Black
It isn't, it tries to be, but it isn't.
It is it's own movie that shares some of a characters with Pitch Black.
And I think many people went to Chronicles expecting Pitch Black 2.
I very much like this movie but you have a great point. The single biggest problem I had with this movie is that Riddick was a bad ass human being in Pitch Black. He was human. Very human. A single man vs. man fight was deadly dangerous for him. That made it all the more mind blowing when the "did not know who he was messing with" scene comes!

In this movie, he's a superman! This is NOT the Riddick of the first film and all the tension is therefore, gone.

Oh. And it's a little bit racist. Riddick isn't a bad ass because he's a bad ass. It's the race of Furions he comes from that matters. Uh huh.

That doesn't mean it wasn't successful in its own right. I love the opening snow scene, and there is a bit of homage to the first film: them running again, this time trying to beat the sunrise. Plenty of quality visuals many fantasy fans likely missed due to the bad word of mouth this movie got.

Best movie defense I've seen in ages. I hate when he takes a really bad movie and says, "but it was great for what it was". That isn't enough. Take movies that really got hate they didn't deserve because they were actually good.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Huh, once again I had no idea this movie hated, Jim running out of obvious picks? While I didn't think it was love by everyone like Hook was, I had the impression that most people thought it was just meh or didn't see it.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Alcaste said:
Wait what? I was completely unaware that people didn't like this movie. I loved it so much, I guess I was blinded to everyone's hate.
Yeah, I had the same feeling watching this. It was a fun action movie that didn't care what people thought about it. Jim hits upon a good point, I think. Some types of movies were just better when they weren't trying to be smart and self-aware.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I absolutely enjoyed these movies. I still joke about that teacup sequence and what he held up right afterwards. I wasn't sure why people disliked it at all in any significant numbers.

I do find it surprising that this was a $105 million budget movie. But I guess it was CGI intensive for 2004. But a 29% rotten tomato? That's far too harsh for a movie with so many redeeming qualities for people who like this kind of thing.

DoveAlexa

Oct 28, 2009
I love this movie, I have watched it more times than I can count, including the dvd commentary versions. I was watching it when it played on tv when I owned the dvd, and then watched the dvd later.

I am wholly not part of the irony swilling crowd.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
I thought Chronicles was okay, but it wasn't the fact that it took itself too seriously that brought it down for me. Everything on the prison planet I actually enjoyed. The stuff that didn't work was the Elementalist lady, Furions, destiny and the Necromonger political process.

You compare it to the 80s but one thing 80's action flicks did right was truncated the plot for the sake of more action. A lot of those classics, especially the Arnie films were extremely light on plot. Bad guy has motivation, somehow incites Arnie to action, and Ahnald kills everyone in his way to the final confrontation. Myabe 10-15 minutes at best was ever spent on the side plot.

Think about Running Man's sub plots. A resistance movement against the oppressive corporations, codes needed to hack the satellites and the whole truth of the Butcher of Bakersfield. Combined total of maybe 10 minutes of footage and dialog, a lot of it just an excuse to get you to another set piece. Heck, I bet 90% of people who claim to love that movie would forget one of those sub plots if you asked them about it.

That is where Chronicles fell down. It didn't need to go into Riddicks history. It didn't need Judy Dench monologuing about how odd the universe is, and it certainly didn't need Thandie Newton (can't think of anything I have liked her in) doing the whole convince my hubby to take over the throne garbage.

The movie was at its best when it just let Riddick be Riddick and let the situation unfold without all the overarching plot threads. Incidentally, that is also why Pitch Black was such a superior experience. It didn't try to overcomplicate what it was. A bunch of people crash land on a hostile planet. Each of them with just enough history (based on how long they lived) to make them interesting and give them a sense of progression as they try to survive.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
My only problem with the movie and what makes it so hard to stomach for me is that, it's supposed to take place in the same universe as Pitch Black.

You know the gritty sci-fi alien/Star Ship Troopers knock off.

Now you could argue that there wasn't really enough established in that movie to say that none of this stuff that was later presented in Riddick didn?t exist but at the same time, there wasn't anything previously that hinted that it could either which is why Space Elementals and evil Knights just feels like it was completely pulled from someone?s back passage.
I also am not a fan of the retooling of the Riddick character either. I preferred when his was morally ambiguous and dangerous as opposed to a reluctant hero.