Movie morals we need

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Usually, in movies, there's a moral to the story. Something like "Spend more time with your family and less time at work," or "that new immigrant neighbour you've got is probaby a perfectly decent dude," "follow your dreams and believe in yourself, and you're sure to succeed," and so on.

I think it's time for some harsh truths.

I think we need movies where the kids learn that Daddy has to be at work a lot of the time in order to make a living. We need movies where being devoted to your dream of being a writer or something doesn't automatically make you good at it, and the protagonist learns that devotion isn't the same thing as skill.

Any other family unfriendly morals we need?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm...saving the world with your ex doesn't mean that you should get back together. Or hell, when you're single and save the world with someone of the opposite gender who is also single, doesn't mean you should hook up.

Wanting to win a competition in a sport you just started really badly doesn't mean you automatically win against people who've been doing it for ages.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
You'll find nutjobs and radicals in every walk of life, and someone isn't necessarily a good person just because they have the same outlook as you.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
We need a movie that's moral is that you should stop looking for moral and life advice from movies.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
That you don't automatically get the girl just because you won a competition against the other guy who likes her. In fact, I'd like to see the girl tell both guys to piss off for treating her like a trophy to be won in a contest.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I guess that Kingpin was abit of hash reality but it still worked out for the main character in the end and there was also that alternative ending to Dodgeball.
Still I kind of agreed there should be a film with the moral of pursuiting your dream vs the hash reality weighting on your dream (like the many competition/ rival you will face and the weight of having the bills to pay).

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
That there's no "happily ever after", even if you get a "happy ending checkpoint". That while it's okay to be happy and enjoy the moment, you shouldn't get complacent.

Life goes on even after the movie ends. Even if through sheer power of will and guts you defeated unsurmountable odds, it doesn't end there. Life will throw more challenges at you.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
'You don't get to be rich without stepping on some people on the way up, even if you're a kid' (The Social Network)

'It's stressful and unrewarding to be too smart and self-aware' (Forrest Gump)

Not a movie, but the Simpsons episode 'Homer's Enemy' became a favourite of many people (including Matt Groening himself) due to its harsh message and dark ending.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
"Your parents don't love each other anymore and have kept you seperated from your twin sister because you didn't love them enough, you lowly piece of shit." -The Parent Trap, in which Linsey Lohan is surprisingly decent

I particularly like this one, because somewhere in that malstrom of bad implications, it tells children that having children does not strengthen relationships; it doesn't renew bonds, and it doesn't make your failing marriage alright. Kids strain things; they put a damper on your sex life, they cost lots of money to safely make and raise, and adults use their beautiful ability to create life irresponsibly, which is why you, the next generation, must be responsible.

But then you realise it's Disney, and they just decided to remake a movie with a bad moral.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
We need a movie that's moral is that you should stop looking for moral and life advice from movies.
Or perhaps a film in which a motley group of film makers discover that the people who watch their films don't need to be told what to think.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Hmmm...saving the world with your ex doesn't mean that you should get back together. Or hell, when you're single and save the world with someone of the opposite gender who is also single, doesn't mean you should hook up.
Dayum, I wasn't expecting to be ninja'd on this one. I completely agree, and I think I love you in a totally platonic way.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Saving Mister Banks--the Disney movie about Walt Disney trying to get P.L. Travers to sell him the rights to Mary Poppins--briefly brought up a very interesting idea about mothers. It's shown in the movie that Travers' real-life mother was not a very maternal person, and not well-equipped for raising children. It's to the point where you kind of wonder if she wanted children at all. I don't think there are enough stories that show that some women just shouldn't have children, and that that is okay.

At one point, she discovers that Disney has made Mrs. Banks a suffragette, where she was just sort of...absent in the book. When she questions the story team they explain they needed her to be something because she seemed neglectful to be a housewife, but not the primary carer of her children. And then she rounds on them and asks something to the effect of, "And what's wrong with that? Maybe some people just aren't meant to have children."

In so many movies and stories women are just expected to be maternal and good with kids, and want kids of their own. If a woman isn't good with kids, she's usually the villain and is shown to be a generally shrewish woman. And the ones who are the heroes and don't want children have to wear their desire to be unattached as a huge aspect of themselves. It becomes their whole character: I'M SO INDEPENDENT I DO NOT WANT CHILDREN, I AM SUCH A RADICAL! And even then the "lesson" those characters often learn is they really DID want children anyway. There's nothing wrong with women not wanting children, and there's nothing wrong with a woman who's just not good at it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, a pregnant woman decides if she wants to keep the baby or not, and decides that an abortion is the right answer.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Jolly Co-operator said:
That you don't automatically get the girl just because you won a competition against the other guy who likes her. In fact, I'd like to see the girl tell both guys to piss off for treating her like a trophy to be won in a contest.
I'd actually like to see a movie where through the competition both guys realize how much they have in common and decide to say Eff you to the girl who was stringing them both along for her amusement and then end up as life long buddies.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Pink Gregory said:
AccursedTheory said:
Or perhaps a film in which a motley group of film makers discover that the people who watch their films don't need to be told what to think.
Lovely sentiments, but humanity has always gotten our morals and life advice from stories.

In fact, one of my favourite books at the moment is about Celtic Myths and Legends. Some great morals in there (mostly, "don't trust fairies"... Which I think is a lesson we can all take away).

Also, I'd argue that yes, most people do need to be told what to think. When people aren't told what to think, some dickhead comes along (like Hitler, or Nigel Farage) and tells them the WRONG things to think.

Edit: I'd like a ROMCOM where the lad who's been breaking his back to impress a girl ultimately realises that she's a high maintenance ***** who isn't fucking worth it. Then she learns that being a high maintenance ***** is fucking shitty, and becomes a reasonable human being.

Both genders (in traditional gender roles) can learn from that.

Other than that, a ROMCOM about a couple of Gay Blokes could be fun. Not even referencing the fact they're gay, just ... a fucking normal, shitty romcom (of the sort I only watch when I'm sure no one will find out), but with two dudes.

Moral of the story? Gay people are the same as the rest of us.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
The greatest one i can think of is a horror film.

where the internet and mobile devices are gone and people need to learn to communicate face to face.

and yes i am aware of the irony of this being online

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Pink Gregory said:
AccursedTheory said:
So what you're saying is that you want a blank screen with no sound or images. The entire point of film is to inspire people to think or feel a certain way. That's what it's there for.

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
Well, here's a few that desperately need some attention;

-Just because it's 'normal' doesn't mean it's right.
-There are no good people, only those who help you and those who hurt you.
-You WILL die
-Religion is nothing more than a best guess
-True happiness is being ok with the fact that you never will be
-Luck ALWAYS plays a roll. Careful planning and preparation does not guarantee an opportunity.
-Possessing power does not mean you deserve power.
-Having command over people does not make you a leader.
-Money-oriented greed is both immoral and drives the world.
-What you earn will never be what you deserve.
-No matter how big your problems, everyone else's are going to be more important, ALWAYS.

There, I'll add more if I can come up with them. Oh, and also:

-Your driving is absolutely below average.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
I like this thread.

How about, "The day isn't always saved by so-called 'heroes'." And that hero worship is unrealistic.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
phoenixlink said:
The greatest one i can think of is a horror film.

where the internet and mobile devices are gone and people need to learn to communicate face to face.

and yes i am aware of the irony of this being online
I see this idea working just as well (or better) as an Idiocracy-style comedy.