Movie Theatre Etiquette

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Shaun_Emmerich said:
Well, it was packed, except for the seats in the very very front (we all hate those, don't we?).
I personally don't mind the front. There are times when it isn't a good place sit, but it can be kind of fun being that close to the action...

OT... That's besides the point. Yeah... the guy was a total douche. I know there are some theaters where the ushers come in and ask people to move and fill up all the seats. Perhaps you should have gotten one of them to intervene. Either way, its good that you kept your cool (mostly). Better than stooping to that douche-waffle's level.

Shaun Hastings

Apr 28, 2010
SilverUchiha said:
Shaun_Emmerich said:
Well, it was packed, except for the seats in the very very front (we all hate those, don't we?).
I personally don't mind the front. There are times when it isn't a good place sit, but it can be kind of fun being that close to the action...

OT... That's besides the point. Yeah... the guy was a total douche. I know there are some theaters where the ushers come in and ask people to move and fill up all the seats. Perhaps you should have gotten one of them to intervene. Either way, its good that you kept your cool (mostly). Better than stooping to that douche-waffle's level.
Really? I had to sit there to watch I Love You, Man (which I had waited months to come out) and I wasn't walking out without seeing it. Though, my neck didn't take too kindly to holding my head in the same awkward, angle for almost 2 hours.

Anyways, I didn't want to make a big deal out of it because I knew my mum just wanted to get out there and my dad would have probably made a bigger deal out of it than it needed to be.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
At my movie theatre, you can choose your preferred seat when you order the tickets. Saves you from having to deal with douchebags like that guy.

Shaun Hastings

Apr 28, 2010
Gardenia said:
At my movie theatre, you can choose your preferred seat when you order the tickets. Saves you from having to deal with douchebags like that guy.
Aw damn. The Maritimes really need to get with the times and get that over here.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Shaun_Emmerich said:
SilverUchiha said:
Shaun_Emmerich said:

Really? I had to sit there to watch I Love You, Man (which I had waited months to come out) and I wasn't walking out without seeing it. Though, my neck didn't take too kindly to holding my head in the same awkward, angle for almost 2 hours.

Anyways, I didn't want to make a big deal out of it because I knew my mum just wanted to get out there and my dad would have probably made a bigger deal out of it than it needed to be.
True enough. That front row is really for a group of friends who go out to movies all the time (like the time my group of friends and I went to see Iron Man or Tropic Thunder). Probably not a good row for parents to sit. I know mine wouldn't like those seats. haha

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I think he was trying to look like a badass in front of his girl. Hope they broke up after she saw how big an ass he was.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Axolotl said:
Shaun_Emmerich said:
It is because when you're in my family, you don't exactly see each other enough. So anything out with the three of us is considered a family event.
But you won't be interacting with them on any level. You'll be sitting in a darkened room not talking while something else occupies your attention. If you want to spend time with your family then why not actually do something where talk to one another or some other form of interaction?
Good god, man. Are you trying to play the contrarian here? That's how things work. When people see movies with other people, they sit with them. No, it isn't "inconvenient" for the OP to sit apart from his mom, but it is socially unacceptable to be as much of a dick about moving to another seat as the "large guy" was.

Those who have any shred of social skills in their bodies should be able to understand this. Therefore, the only conclusion I can come to is that you are engaging in some sort of "softcore trolling", if there is such a thing.

Quit it. You're annoying me.

On topic, yes, Mr. Emmerich, you were most definitely justified in your anger at his behavior. Although, I can't say that my response would have been so noble; I probably would have called him out on it.

Shaun Hastings

Apr 28, 2010
Dr Snakeman said:
On topic, yes, Mr. Emmerich, you were most definitely justified in your anger at his behavior. Although, I can't say that my response would have been so noble; I probably would have called him out on it.
Thank you! And er, I guess now I can say it but it's Mrs. Emmerich, actually. But that doesn't matter! And yeah, I was pretty close to saying something but as you've probably read, my mum grabbed me first.

sammi43055

Feb 23, 2010
I have noticed that people always want to leave a seat or two between themselves and others. Unfortunately when there are large amounts of people in the theater, it would be nice if people would close the gaps so others could enjoy the movie with their friends and family.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Shaun_Emmerich said:
Gardenia said:
Aw damn. The Maritimes really need to get with the times and get that over here.
I saw my first movie in '92, and it was like that then as well. I thought all cinemas would have adopted that by now.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
Citrus Insanity said:
The thing is, he was there first, and he was already comfortable. It would have been courteous of him to move over for you, but he certainly wasn't obligated to. It was a bit rude, but you're blowing it a bit out of proportion.
How was it blown out of proportion, if she asked politely and his mother demonstrated that they were not squeaky? I think the guy was just being a dick and was making an excuse not to move. Yes hes not obligated to move but its just common courtesy, I mean yes you can also be a dick and pick your nose in a restaurant but its also a dick move.

Not trying to start anything I just don't see how it was out of proportion.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Shaun_Emmerich said:
Dr Snakeman said:
I guess now I can say it but it's Mrs. Emmerich, actually.
Oh. Well, that's awkward. I don't know why I assumed you were a man. No offense intended, ma'am.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
I would have given him a large, unfriendly remark about his behavior and possibly some other things as well. Then I'd leave and go do something else. It's disheartening to see people so selfish, but there is little we can do. Although we cannot always expect people to move. I used to move a lot when people asked, but in school, it's just the popular kids wanting to sit next to other popular kids in a seat I've been sitting in since the day the school year started. I'm not going to move next to the kids who are jerks just because you can't stand them and want my spot instead.

But in a simple movie theater where it's a simple matter of a few seats over, then there's no excuse. Hope your next visit is more pleasant than your last, OP.

Shaun Hastings

Apr 28, 2010
Dr Snakeman said:
Shaun_Emmerich said:
Dr Snakeman said:
I guess now I can say it but it's Mrs. Emmerich, actually.
Oh. Well, that's awkward. I don't know why I assumed you were a man. No offense intended, ma'am.
No, no, it's okay! The user name throws everybody off. It's just a combination of names of two of my favourite video game side characters. xD No biggie.

TheIr0nMike

Mar 3, 2008
Guy was a ****, and I hope the only reason nothing was done was because your mom pulled you away.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Schwerganoik said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
The guy was a dick. Seriously, if he couldn't move down one seat so your family could sit together, he's an asshole.

I wonder what other body parts I could describe him as...
A ****?
Right!

That's the word I was looking for.

Shaun Hastings

Apr 28, 2010
MizPiz said:
Guy was a ****, and I hope the only reason nothing was done was because your mom pulled you away.
Well, that and I've never actually hit anyone... So... Hitting someone for the first time in public, with tons of other people around you... well, makes me seem like the bad guy.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Cyrax987 said:
Citrus Insanity said:
The thing is, he was there first, and he was already comfortable. It would have been courteous of him to move over for you, but he certainly wasn't obligated to. It was a bit rude, but you're blowing it a bit out of proportion.
How was it blown out of proportion, if she asked politely and his mother demonstrated that they were not squeaky? I think the guy was just being a dick and was making an excuse not to move. Yes hes not obligated to move but its just common courtesy, I mean yes you can also be a dick and pick your nose in a restaurant but its also a dick move.

Not trying to start anything I just don't see how it was out of proportion.
I didn't say what she did was out of proportion, I said the big fuss she's making out of it is out of proportion. The guy wasn't outspokenly rude, and he wasn't trying to start anything; he just wasn't courteous enough to change seats. He was there first, he wasn't nice enough to move, so accept it and move on. Life isn't always fair.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I find it strange the guy wouldn't move. I'm not overly polite or suggestable but if a stranger asked me nicely if I could move slightly, I'd do it. I think most people would, not out of kindness or etiquette simply because it takes far more effort to be a jerk and refuse.

But yeah if he doesn't want to move thats fine in my book also, maybe he has crippling haemorroids and they've only just settled but he was too embaressed to say that, okay so that's perhaps a little extreme, but we never know the full story and I'm willing to give strangers the benefit of the doubt.