Movie Trailers: Decay - Trailer

Danarok

Oct 19, 2008
It's a amateur film done on a budget of ~£2k by a bunch of PhD students on site at CERN. And apparently it's already been released online for free viewing. So yeah, whilst that was definitely some hammy acting and dodgy visuals, it doesn't look too bad for a student film. Would have preferred it if they'd gone in for a subject matter maybe a bit more weird and surreal given they had whole CERN thing to play around with, rather than just using it as an excuse for a stage a zombie outbreak.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
DK does look like it was made by students which is the problem.

Also Shotgun coining the abbreviation DK?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Danarok said:
It's a amateur film done on a budget of ~£2k by a bunch of PhD students on site at CERN. And apparently it's already been released online for free viewing. So yeah, whilst that was definitely some hammy acting and dodgy visuals, it doesn't look too bad for a student film. Would have preferred it if they'd gone in for a subject matter maybe a bit more weird and surreal given they had whole CERN thing to play around with, rather than just using it as an excuse for a stage a zombie outbreak.
Yeah, they could only really have gone for something clever that we've never seen before (using their science brains and setting to discuss something cool and sciency) or they should have gone for something utterly silly and fun. Serious zombie movie should never have been on the cards.

YazBar

Jun 23, 2010
I had to laugh when the trailer read "THAT NOBODY EXPECTED?", at this point it would be unexpected if it WASN'T zombies

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Oh god.. just

Why?

Why do you have to be so dumb looking.

Why does every new scientific discovery end up with someone thinking it will create zombies?

How could a field that gives everything Mass even CREATE zombies?

Like CERN doesn't get enough Flack because some newspaper jerk nicknamed The Higgs Boson ''The God Particle''

Ugh.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Orange Monkey said:
Oh god.. just

Why?

Why does every new scientific discovery end up with someone thinking it will create zombies?

Like CERN doesn't get enough Flack because some newspaper jerk nicknamed The Higgs Boson ''The God Particle''

Ugh.
As mentioned it's by students who work at CERN, they know it's not going to create zombies, it's a joke/a fun hobby.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
wizzy555 said:
Orange Monkey said:
Oh god.. just

Why?

Ugh.
As mentioned it's by students who work at CERN, they know it's not going to create zombies, it's a joke/a fun hobby.
If that's the case why didn't they go with something that might actually be fun, like inter-dimensional aliens? Yeah it would be a half-life ripoff but that's going to get called anyway.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Vausch said:
If that's the case why didn't they go with something that might actually be fun, like inter-dimensional aliens? Yeah it would be a half-life ripoff but that's going to get called anyway.
I can ask some of them if you like, but it could be something as simple as zombie makeup is easy.

I must admit I had a similar reaction when I heard it but we physicists aren't the most creative bunch.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
wizzy555 said:
Vausch said:
I can ask some of them if you like, but it could be something as simple as zombie makeup is easy.

I must admit I had a similar reaction when I heard it but we physicists aren't the most creative bunch.
Guess that makes sense. Considering the budget I guess that might be a bit much.

Yeah, that's for us artists with engineering degrees XD

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Vausch said:
Realistic looking alien costumes are expensive, fake blood is relatively cheep.

Diceman

Aug 21, 2008
Orange Monkey said:
Oh god.. just

Why?

Ugh.
Exactly this.
Oh look, new science? IT'LL KILL US ALL!
And obviously the "dangerous radiation" doesn't just... I dunno... cause cancer or something. Nope, zombies.

Diceman

Aug 21, 2008
Also I get it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek or whatever, but it looks just utterly awful, so it doesn't even get the funny-parody save.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
scw55 said:
DK does Also Shotgun coining the abbreviation DK?
Nope, DK will forever refer to Donkey Kong. Besides, if you need an abbreviation for a five letter word then there's something wrong with you.

OT: Wow, lotta hate in here. I'm not claiming to be a professional movie critic or anything, but considering 1: it's a student film and 2: it's completely free to watch and 3: it's budget was incredibly low, aren't you guys being a bit too harsh? I mean it's a zombie movie for god sakes, at least they're actually giving the REASON for there being zombies rather than the general standard of "Wake up one day and oh shit! Zombies!"

Just seems to me you guys are grading this a bit roughly considering the nature of what it is...we're not talking about something that's supposed to tople Lord of the Frickin' Rings here. Some zombie fans made a zombie movie and they're giving it out for free, it's not meant to be the next Dawn of the Dead...or even Shaun of the Dead.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
Norix596 said:
Is anyone really sick of zombies... about two years ago?
hell no, if you read and/or watch the walking dead. :) they do it right!

i get your point though, but that happens to most things... becomes popular and mainstream then its done to death until the next "trend"
none of that matters, if its done well then it will be good even if the content is repetitive at the time. If its just reused drivel and you know it, just ignore it and find better quality entertainment.

Like there are trailers and such that come out and you instantly know its terrible, but yet still gets made. Try and support the more creative and unique.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Watched the whole movie. It is as bad as its setting is awesome. :)

Although, I have to admit that it suffers from a kind of Uncanny Valley effect, because the camera work and post production are actually fairly high quality, making the viewer judge this project by real movie standards.