Movie Trailers: Star Trek: Into Darkness - Announcement Trailer

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Star Trek: Into Darkness - Announcement Trailer

So this time they're battling Space Sherlock?

Watch Video

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Is it just me, or does Benedict Cumberpatch's character look a lot like Michael Eddington from DS9?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So who was supposed to have returned? And why can't I bring myself to get excited over this? Also I think Gene Rodenberry is spinning in his grave right now.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
When did we last have a star trek movie that wasn't about vengeance? Don't get me wrong; I'm glad the franchise isn't dead (I enjoyed the remake and my mom will be thrilled when I tell her about this), but I honestly can't remember the last movie they had where the villains weren't motivated by revenge.

Remake: vengeful romulans
Nemesis: vengeful clone
Insurrection: vengeful outcast children
First Contact: vengeful borg queen (admittedly the least vengeful of the bunch)
Generations: dude just wanted back into nirvana

So yeah, counting the movie for this trailer, that's five in a row. I know there's more to this universe than revenge; it'd be nice to see it on the big screen.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
So who was supposed to have returned? And why can't I bring myself to get excited over this? Also I think Gene Rodenberry is spinning in his grave right now.
Its most likely Gary Mitchell.

qou2600

Oct 20, 2009
I saw a lot of water in the trailer, hopefully one of the characters is a whale biologist.

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
So, its about revenge... again.

Revenge for what? I don't know about you, but just some guy (no matter how hot his voice may be) wanting revenge for some undisclosed reason does not make me care.
Is revenge now some sort of codeword in Star Trek that is supposed to just automatically make me interested?
Can't we have a villain with some other motivation for a change?

Maybe it is just my wonderfully forgiving nature, but I can't relate to revenge that well.
At least not as well as this trailer seems to think.

Ah yes, I forget, maybe I'm not actually supposed to relate to the villain, but to the protagonists... Ok, what is their motivation?
I guess staying alive somehow. It's not like the trailer tells me more than that.

I'm sure the movie is going to be very pretty, lenseflares nonewithstanding, but I do remember a time when Star Trek was about interesting characters/societies and moral quandries...

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Is it just me? I feel like every other star trek movie is about someone/something returning for revenge.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
I could have sworn that I've already seen a half of those shots before. I'll try to stay optimistic about this.

But still, I miss the 90s.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
aceman67 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Its most likely Gary Mitchell.
Already confirmed to be Khan.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Woodsey said:
Where's your proof? The only place that even mentions that Cumberbatch is playing Khan is IMDB, and they have "(rumored)" next to that.

Startrek.com says nothing.

Memory Alpha wiki says nothing.

Wikipedia says nothing.

If it was confirmed, as you say it is, This site would be reporting as such, along with EVERY OTHER star trek news site, most notably trekmovie.com

I suggest you go back and watch the TOS episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before", because you'd see a lot of similarities between some characters.

- Elizabeth Dehner [http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Dehner]
- Unnamed Female Science Officer

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Total agreement with the "too much revenge" theme of this thread. (hmm Star Trek "In the future, there is only revenge...")

Also, that's one damn generic looking trailer.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
aceman67 said:
Woodsey said:
Where's your proof? The only place that even mentions that Cumberbatch is playing Khan is IMDB, and they have "(rumored)" next to that.

Startrek.com says nothing.

Memory Alpha wiki says nothing.

Wikipedia says nothing.

If it was confirmed, as you say it is, This site would be reporting as such, along with EVERY OTHER star trek news site, most notably trekmovie.com

I suggest you go back and watch the TOS episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before", because you'd see a lot of similarities between some characters.

- Elizabeth Dehner [http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Dehner]
- Unnamed Female Science Officer
Hmm, read in a couple of places that they'd confirmed. Might have misread or they might have been bullshitting - in either case, the final shot of the Japanese trailer is meant to be pretty explicit, I believe. More so than "blonde woman with bob".

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
OK, I'm now excited. Looks like stuff is going to hit the fan, and not in a good way. Keep on dazzling me J.J.

Although for a teaser trailer, I didn't see that many lens flares. Bah, I'm sure that will be fixed in the actual trailer at some point.

shieldheart204

Oct 17, 2012
Ok, I was motivated by this trailer... wait, what was that? Oh, right this is a trailer of the TRAILER that will be released December 17, a couple of days after The Hobbit. Huh. Awkward.

I liked the reboot a lot, that being said from my first experience of the Star Trek Universe. Yet a lot of people (MovieBob) say that it was not Star Trek essence. So I really wonder if they will return to the core with this film or if they will simply continue mutating the franchise from what I hear.

So Question to you Star Trek Fans, if you did hate the reboot, why was that? I want to know why the hate or disappointing experience.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Hey, did anyone else notice that Andy Chalk has recently put up a very similar thread? I love it when users manage to find things before the staff.