Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Enough with Henry Cavill.

I have nothing against him but with the news that he's coming back as Superman while also going to be the Highlander and continuing to be the Witcher means one guy is the main dude in three different genre franchises, and it's a bit much, ok?
Yes, I know he's a fellow gamur that paints Warhammers and builds PCs and AHKCHOOLLYs his way around the Netflix studios about book lore but certainly there are other muscly white dudes that can play super-heroes?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I have nothing against him but with the news that he's coming back as Superman while also going to be the Highlander and continuing to be the Witcher means one guy is the main dude in three different genre franchises, and it's a bit much, ok?
Erm...not seeing why this is a problem, surely people (especially action hero types) can have more than one franchise they headline?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Enough with Henry Cavill.

Yes, I know he's a fellow gamur that paints Warhammers and builds PCs and AHKCHOOLLYs his way around the Netflix studios about book lore but certainly there are other muscly white dudes that can play super-heroes?
I didn't know he was going to be part of the Highlander reboot. Neat. Besides, last I checked, Henry Cavill is not coming back as Superman. I do find it sad, and I wish some of the haters or non-fans would shut up as well. Albeit for different reasons. I get some of these haters don't like him, but the man ain't a bad person, nor did he "ruin the pure legacy of Superman!".

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I didn't know he was going to be part of the Highlander reboot. Neat. Besides, last I checked, Henry Cavill is not coming back as superman. I do find it sad, and I wish some of the haters or non-fans would shut up as well. Albeit for different reasons. I get I get some of these haters don't like him, but the man ain't a bad person, nor did he "ruin the pure legacy of Superman!".
I don't even know what is a pure legacy of Superman... lol wut?!
No Cavill was fine as Superman- DC movies suck because they're written and directed poorly and are lame and stupid and boring. Also Gal Gadot is very bad at acting.

No it's fine he's superman, just when I started watching Witcher I'm like "oh look, Superman is Witcher." It's weird, and unnecessary. And now Highlander? Y'all don't get distracted and weirded out by that? It's silly, no? Ok maybe I'm the only one here. I stand by it, though.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I have not seen Black Adam, but I call 🐂 shit on that.
Kinda speaks for itself -

Critics: 39%
Audience: 90%

They’re there to see The Rock kick ass.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't even know what is a pure legacy of Superman... lol wut?!
Christopher Reeve is what most of the haters and blind dumb fans are referring towards. I respect the guy and everything, but the old Superman movies weren't perfect either and had their own flaws. Even the good and best ones of that era.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
No it's fine he's superman, just when I started watching Witcher I'm like "oh look, Superman is Witcher." It's weird, and unnecessary. And now Highlander? Y'all don't get distracted and weirded out by that? It's silly, no? Ok maybe I'm the only one here. I stand by it, though.
In a way, I think I can see what you're saying. I haven't seen Highlander, but I imagine that part of the appeal is seeing modern day dudes swinging around swords in like a parking lot or whatever. Some of the impact of that weirdness is gone when it's starring Henry Cavill, one of the most popular sword-swingers today. I would probably be thinking, "Hey look it's Geralt but now he's wearing a trench coat and shades".

That said, I don't mind at all if he gets more roles. Unlike the Rock, he seems to be willing to play a wide variety of roles. However, like the Rock, he seems to be really bad at picking projects. His stint as Superman started good, but we all know where that went. His popularity skyrocketed because of The Witcher, but I think people vastly preferred the first season over the frankly pretty shit second season. The man needs to star in a universally acclaimed movie or show ASAP.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Kinda speaks for itself -

Critics: 39%
Audience: 90%

They’re there to see The Rock kick ass.
One of the first audience reviews I read went, " ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐: This movie isn't perfect, but-"

So don't give it 5 stars my guy. I think definitely the majority of people who watched it liked the movie, but I really don't think that overwhelming 90% is representative at all.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Christopher Reeve is what most of the haters and blind dumb fans are referring towards. I respect the guy and everything, but the old Superman movies weren't perfect either and had their own flaws. Even the good and best ones of that era.
Yeah basically they too weren’t so super, man.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not seeing it. I mean, Conan the Barbarian is the Terminator and also fought the Predator and was the Running Man (which is a bit like fighting the Predator, really).

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
In a way, I think I can see what you're saying. I haven't seen Highlander, but I imagine that part of the appeal is seeing modern day dudes swinging around swords in like a parking lot or whatever. Some of the impact of that weirdness is gone when it's starring Henry Cavill, one of the most popular sword-swingers today. I would probably be thinking, "Hey look it's Geralt but now he's wearing a trench coat and shades".

That said, I don't mind at all if he gets more roles. Unlike the Rock, he seems to be willing to play a wide variety of roles. However, like the Rock, he seems to be really bad at picking projects. His stint as Superman started good, but we all know where that went. His popularity skyrocketed because of The Witcher, but I think people vastly preferred the first season over the frankly pretty shit second season. The man needs to star in a universally acclaimed movie or show ASAP.
Yeah except, despite all being played by Henry Cavill, Geralt of Rivia, Superman, and MacCloud are all very different people and that tends to be reflected in the way they talk and behave on screen. I feel Cavill is talented enough to sell those very different characters.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah except, despite all being played by Henry Cavill, Geralt of Rivia, Superman, and MacCloud are all very different people and that tends to be reflected in the way they talk and behave on screen. I feel Cavill is talented enough to sell those very different characters.
He is, I think he's a very capable actor. It's very much a first impression thing. The first thing I thought when I saw him in Mission Impossible was "Why does Clark Kent have a dumb mustache", but that feeling went away pretty quickly.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Not seeing it. I mean, Conan the Barbarian is the Terminator and also fought the Predator and was the Running Man (which is a bit like fighting the Predator, really).
Only one of those roles was a legacy franchise icon (Conan). Now, Terminator is such but not at the time.
Of course I'm not saying people that play superheroes or franchise shouldn't do other roles, lol, duh. I'm saying that having the same dude play a bunch of characters we already know is weird, that's all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Only one of those roles was a legacy franchise icon (Conan). Now, Terminator is such but not at the time.
Of course I'm not saying people that play superheroes or franchise shouldn't do other roles, lol, duh. I'm saying that having the same dude play a bunch of characters we already know is weird, that's all.
I don't know why it's this weird to you. This is nothing new, and something that's been going on in Hollywood for a long time. You know how many roles Liam Neeson had in some action or spy thriller after Taken was a big hit. Neeson can act his ass off, but half of his rolls after that was practically Brian Myllis but with a different occupation. Nearly everyone has played a superhero, super villain, or some super powered being at some point in film or TV. It's been that way for a decade and more now. You can thank Marvel & DC for that. Welcome to the world of filmmaking and the systemic industry at large.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
> you know how many rolls Liam Neeson had in some action or spy thriller after Taken was a big hit

But, again, none of those roles were known/beloved franchise characters. The only such character I remember him playing is the villain in the Bale Batmen flick.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But, again, none of those roles were known/beloved franchise characters. The only such character I remember him playing is the villain in the Bale Batmen flick.
That was before Taken, and he had a super minor cameo as a hallucination in TDK Rises. So? My point still stands. Beloved franchised/characters or not. I think the only reason you're so weirded out by this, because you didn't expect them to get so many rolls. Well, that's what happens when you do a great job at your acting gig or diversify your roles. Henry Cavill became the new Superman, because of his role in Immortals. Which in itself is funny, because while the character he plays is fine, Theseus doesn't amount to much in the overall story.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just realized Sonic 2 (2022) is a better Uncharted movie than the official Uncharted movie.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Ah, ok. Still disagree, though, and there's lots of examples of that. The new Batman was in the Twilight adaptation and the Harry Potter adaptaton as characters we already knew, for example.
And let's not forget Ben Affleck as both Daredevil and Batman. As much as some would like to forget both.