Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
From the point onward that wish was made Handsome Man became Steve Trevor. That's it. No issues of consent or these hilarious rape takes. Maybe that's the hot take: people making it "problematic" (including the online journalists) are brainless. Or pick and choose when to put it working at the very least.
I feel like most people pushing the rape angle don't really believe it but are using it as an opportunity to either bash DC or to try and de-legitimize actual date rape accusations.

As for my own hot take- Pirates of the Caribbean should never have been a franchise. They should have stopped with the first movie.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I feel like most people pushing the rape angle don't really believe it but are using it as an opportunity to either bash DC or to try and de-legitimize actual date rape accusations.

As for my own hot take- Pirates of the Caribbean should never have been a franchise. They should have stopped with the first movie.
Or, hot take, stop showing handsome man. Why would I believe it if your keep pointing out its not Trevors body. It isn't Freaky Friday. Knowing which who'scontrol of which body isn't important. Stop making it important. Also, it's a wish. You didnt need to hamstring yourself doing it this way

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Everything they did with Steve Trevor was fun and great right up until they showed him being someone else to the eyes of everyone else except Diana or the audience. It’s just muddies the water and makes shit look weird where they could just have had the magic rock will him, a career, a house and memories for everyone except Diana to be altered to always know who he is. It’s convoluted and weird but who cares it’s a magic wishing rock. And I say that as someone who bar that one point thinks the movie was kickass.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I'd have to sit down and rewatch ww84, but the weird bodytheft subplot was only one of many many plotholes, pacing and bad editing decisions. I really get the impression they filmed a few different story directions, but had to shave things awkwardly or test audiences hated them. This is the magic of WB afterall.

I think it's pretty obvious though in some version of this film she wasn't losing her powers. I think Steve was supposed to have a much bigger role in the film and likely her decision to let him go involved giving the other guy his body back, but it either didn't work or needed to be cut and so they filmed a couple scenes of her vaguely losing her powers to make the edit work.

The suit really bothered me, it didn't seem to serve any real purpose in the film, like they had intended to do more with it, but they had to cut it for whatever reason. There's a ton of scenes and subplots that don't really going any where. Theres scenes leading up to then alluding to Predro seducing cheetah and stealing the stone, but then she seems perfectly fine with it later on. The whole thing with them flying to the middle-east which was impossible for a number of reasons. The movie is a mish-mash of odd cuts. Is she hiding being wonder woman or not?

I thought I was going a bit crazy, but apparently most people noticed, however are willing to ignore that stuff because flashy bang bang. Directors glossing over logic for cool effects does not work for me. I'm willing to look over somethings as long as the context works, WW84 had problems..a lot of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: deleted20220709

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Everything they did with Steve Trevor was fun and great right up until they showed him being someone else to the eyes of everyone else except Diana or the audience. It’s just muddies the water and makes shit look weird where they could just have had the magic rock will him, a career, a house and memories for everyone except Diana to be altered to always know who he is. It’s convoluted and weird but who cares it’s a magic wishing rock. And I say that as someone who bar that one point thinks the movie was kickass.
Like I discussed before with you, 100% hard agree.

• Bakugo, Endevor, and Mineta are the worst and weakest elements of My Hero Academia. We're either supposed to like, admire, find them sympathetic, or funny. All of them are neither of those. They're all unsympathetic jerks and nothing the show does can get me to like them or admire them. Fuck Mineta the most of all! Dude should be put on the sex offenders list! Jerk characters or villains who become less jerks or good guys can be done right. Though lately, with anime especially, writers are getting this wrong and fucking up. To see examples done the right way, check out Yu Yu Hakusho or Kill La Kill.
  • The Matrix did not need any sequels, though I do love the Animatrix.
  • A lot of horror films from the early-late 2000s are crap and have not aged well.
  • The live-action DOA movie is actually a decent adaption of the games. It's got Kevin Nash in it, so that's a plus.
  • The live-action Sonic movie should have never been green lit. Either do 2D animation or 3D animation. What does not help is that these live-action adaptions are just copying each other by taking cartoon characters and putting them "in the real world". Rocky & Bullwinkle, Under Dog, The Smurfs, and Alvin & The Chipmunks! All of these movies are the same shit!

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
  • The Matrix did not need any sequels, though I do love the Animatrix.
Animatrix explored pretty much everything people were curious about or interested in about The Matrix which makes the sequels all the more disappointing because they were a lot of hot air and noise to not say a whole lot. With the animatrix, you learn a lot more about the machine than in either movie. It examines the flaws in the matrix that make it a compelling concept. Similar to the Star Wars Prequels, The Matrix sequels are what you get when you give indie directors a bunch of money and take guardrails off in regards to writing, direction and editing. It's funny how often the best films are made on a tight budget with a small crew and the worst are made when the budget is enormous and there a 1000 voices in the room.

Hot take: "Dead Like me" is one of the most compelling TV shows ever produced and desperately needs a reboot, if only to keep exploring the concept.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Animatrix explored pretty much everything people were curious about or interested in about The Matrix which makes the sequel all the more disappointing because they were a lot of hot air and noise to not say a whole lot. With the animatrix, you learn a lot more about the machine than in either movie. It examines the flaws in the matrix that make it a compelling concept. Similar to the Star Wars Prequels, The Matrix sequels are what you get when you give indie directors a bunch of money and take guardrails off in regards to writing, direction and editing.
Ironic, because I was excited for a sequel at the time, and all the hype from The Animatrix helped out. And then my family and I saw Reloaded in theaters opening weekend......

Confused and pissed off does not even begin to describe the feelings I had. What does not help was all The Matrix clones and bullet time fest films were already getting tired and done to death. I was so burned out on Reloaded, that I did not even bother to see Revolutions until my first few months in college when it became available on home video. Also, I said this before, but Dark City is better than the entire Matrix franchise. Ironic, because some of the sets used in Dark City, Matrix borrowed from during production.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Mad Max Fury Road is the most overrated movie I've seen in awhile.

Immortan Joe is not this brilliantly conceived villain.

And it wasn't even a movie where Max was a major character.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And it wasn't even a movie where Max was a major character.
The franchise has been that way since Road Warrior. He was not much of a major player in that and Beyond Thunderdome. The only difference being is that he got more lines when portrayed by Mel Gibson.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
The franchise has been that way since Road Warrior. He was not much of a major player in that and Beyond Thunderdome. The only difference being is that he got more lines when portrayed by Mel Gibson.
Other points still stands.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Other points still stands.
Immortan Joe was okay; not my favorite villain, but he served his purpose. I don't find the movie overrated, and Fury Road got the recognition it deserved. Especially when you have a scene such as this:

That won a lot of people over.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Sure, why not? Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice is by far the best movie in the DCEU. Yeah its weird and contrived, and the plot is over complicated but at least they were trying to have one. Justice League, Suicide Squad, Hareley Quinn, Aquaman, Wonder Woman I & II they just sorta have scenes strung together. They don't really tell a story, at least not a coherent one. Actors say lines and scenes do happen, but its not really in service to anything. Its all clearly hacked together editing, but since they didn't have a vision of where to go or someone keeping track of continuity, the movies just kinda meander for two hours and stop abruptly.
But BvS actually tried to tell a story, with like a beginning, middle and end. Its not a good story, but it doesn't have the cynical laziness the other movies have.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sure, why not? Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice is by far the best movie in the DCEU. Yeah its weird and contrived, and the plot is over complicated but at least they were trying to have one.
The story is average and feels extra, forced, and unnecessary. I don't hate the film, but I don't love it either. The main problem is that it:

Justice League, Suicide Squad, Hareley Quinn, Aquaman, Wonder Woman I & II they just sorta have scenes strung together.
Fixed. I call bullshit on half of that. I get you don't like them, but they do have a coherent story. You're a bit more on the nose with WW84, and a lot more on the nose with JL and SS (2016). Birds of Prey has a flawed story, Aquaman has a straight forward story that is basically King Arthur and Devil May Cry 3, and the first Wonder Woman story was pretty coherent. I don't know what movie you were watching with that last one. The other problem with B v. S is that it's a sad bore. Even with the director's cut, I don't have much motivation to watch after the first time. Speaking of JL, still have no interests in the Snyder Cut.

DCEU Rankings:

• Man of Steel - S
  • Batman V. Superman - C+
  • Wonder Woman - A
  • Shazam! - A
  • SS (2016) - C
  • Aquaman - S (Smokin' Sexy Style!)
  • Birds of Prey - A
  • Wonder Woman 1984 - B

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The story is average and feels extra, forced, and unnecessary. I don't hate the film, but I exactly love it either. The main problem is that it:

Fixed. I call bullshit on half of that. I get you don't like them, but they do have a coherent story. You're a bit more on the nose with WW84, and a lot more on the nose with JL and SS (2016). Birds of Prey had a flawed story, Aquaman has a straight forward story that is basically King Arthur and Devil May Cry 3, and the first Wonder Woman story was pretty coherent. I don't know what movie you were watching with that last one. The other problem with B v. S is that it's a sad bore. Even with the director's cut, I don't have much motivation to watch after the first time. Speaking of JL, still have no interests in the Snyder Cut.

DCEU Rankings:

• Man of Steel - S
  • Batman V. Superman - C+
  • Wonder Woman - A
  • Shazam! - A
  • SS (2016) - C
  • Aquaman - S (Smokin' Sexy Style!)
  • Birds of Prey - A
  • Wonder Woman 1984 - B
OK. I need to launder my pants after my experience with your Marvel vs. DC. I didn't know they were still making those. F'n awesome.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
OK. I need to launder my pants after my experience with your Marvel vs. DC. I didn't know they were still making those. F'n awesome.
He never stopped. Sometimes they take break or hiatus, but kept on going. It's why I never unsubscribed.

Reactions: gorfias

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don't think I ever saw that movie the whole way through. Did see the sequel with the ship, though.

(Also, ask people to list movies/franchise that either of them have been in, and they'll likely hit "um...er" long before saying Speed)

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Everything the Wachowski Sisters have made after the Matrix movies was better than the Matrix movies. Yes, even the original.
Christopher Nolan hasn't made a good or even an enjoyable movie in a very long time. The last one was Dark Knight, and that was held up my the actors alone.
Southland Tales was a great work of satire that has gotten more relevant with each passing year ever since it came out.
Most of the MCU before Civil War was tedious, generic and had a lot of uncomfortable, conservative subtext.
Most of the MCU after Civil War is still tedious and generic, but has slightly less conservative subtext.
The only truly bad Star Wars prequel was Attack of the Clones. Phantom Menace was fine, Revenge of the Sith was good.
The only good Star Wars sequel was Last Jedi. Force Awakens was carried by good will alone, Rise of Skywalker was torturous.
Once in a blue moon, when he actually works with a good screenplay, Michael Bay can produce a genuine masterpiece. Pain and Gain was a brilliant movie.
Alien³ was a better sequel to Alien than Aliens.
End of Evangelion was a worse ending to Evangelion than the actual series finale.
People are underestimating how genuinely good Cobra Kai is.