MovieBob leaving The Escapist

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Basement Cat said:
3) HERE'S THE KICKER: You have to go through every single post you've ever made in any thread ever that remains in your Post History Box and delete it.
There is a slight problem with this. if you post A LOT and the list gets very long, there is actually a cutoff where your oldest posts no longer show up in your post history, which means either find them manually or forget about it.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Kameburger said:
I'm sorry to intrude on your back and forth, but I can kind of see how this would ultimately be large aspect of why he was let go. One of Bob's, in my view, biggest problems maybe from the standpoint of an employee, was that Bob, in all areas of his commentary has an utter contempt for people who disagree with him so much so that even if you take the stance like "I disagree but what he says is still entertaining" you'll eventually be driven away by the extremes to which he will drive home the point that he cannot stand dissenting opinion. And he not only understands this about himself but he views it as one of his most virtuous qualities and looks for it in others. He thinks that this is called bravery. He thinks that people on the other side are evil and worthy of his disdain, but also that neutral parties are almost worse in their enabling of those he disagree's with to exist at all.

I never cared too much about GamerGate, but his outspoken support for the harassment and bullying of those who might have been sympathetic (not even so far as support) was producing comments that made me completely cringe. He has on numerous occasions called South Park cowardly for more often then not entertaining the idea that there are two sides to some issues.

Unless you're company is marketing itself as being in the theater of the extreme (Like your Foxs and MSNBCs), and even then, you're probably going to find yourself without a job at one point or another when you start radicalizing too much in one direction. To defend that point, Both Fox news and MSNBC got rid of Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermen respectively at a point with the only possible conclusion being that they were more extreme then their respective employers were ready to stand 100% behind, and their loss of immediate revenue would pay off in the long run. I think similarly you'll notice about these layoffs as well is that there were a lot of the more outspoken voices among them. Ross Lincoln for example was certainly in this extreme category, and to a milder extent Greg Tito was the same. And that's not to position them good or bad, but for better or for worse these guys are guys who would be more at home discussing the political implications behind games as much as the games themselves, and I have to wonder if that's a safe position at the moment. After all a company has to secure sponsors, and while you could say well X company might be cowardly for not wanting to advertise a controversial figure who some see as "righteous" if you're a company that depends on these sponsors then likely you want to make their decision as painless and risk free as possible.
I think that you have hit the nail on the head for me. I used to watch Escape to the movies pretty regularly, than he started doing Big Picture. That is when he started to sour me. I am not a fan of absolutes at all. So when he did his GMO big picture and basically said if you are against them you are stupid, while failing to examine any reason to be against them besides "oh they are scary" it bothered me. At which point I started watching less and less of his stuff. Every time I would view his stuff because it was about something that interested me it only seemed like he had gotten more and more one sided. It final got to the point where I valued his opinion so little that I would check bylines on articles before reading them and if his name was on it I wouldn't even bother clicking.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Bat Vader said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Honestly, I grew to hate the guy once he started calling those of us in the forum "subhuman scum" for even discussing the GamerGate.

And now that he's no long Escapist staff, it's no longer against forum rules to say this: Fuck JerkBob and his bullshit.

I'm normally not happy when someone gets canned, but he's clearly talented enough and liked enough that he'll continue to make money.

And all you saying you're leaving the Escapist, you guys gotta mellow the hell out. They're going to make new content for the site, and hire new people. I look forward to be able to get movie reviews on this site again.
They should mellow out because a content creator you dislike left? I'm genuinely sad that he was fired because I liked his content. Him and I basically had the same taste in movies so a move he liked I knew I would most likely like too. I'm not going to leave, I will just continue to watch Bob's reviews if he continues to do them at his own site.

Edit: Before someone labels me an SJW for liking Bob's content let me just make one thing clear. I couldn't care any less about GamerGate and Anti=GamerGate stuff. I treat both with extreme apathy and I don't care what Bob's opinions were either on the subject.
I mean because people are stating because Moviebob is gone suddenly theres a lack of content.

Obviously theres going to be new content made to fill the void. There will (hopefully) be a new person to review movies.

Bob is going to go on to make money despite himself, because he is talented. But all this mass exodus really means is a huge opportunity for new people to entertain us.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bat Vader said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Honestly, I grew to hate the guy once he started calling those of us in the forum "subhuman scum" for even discussing the GamerGate.

And now that he's no long Escapist staff, it's no longer against forum rules to say this: Fuck JerkBob and his bullshit.

I'm normally not happy when someone gets canned, but he's clearly talented enough and liked enough that he'll continue to make money.

And all you saying you're leaving the Escapist, you guys gotta mellow the hell out. They're going to make new content for the site, and hire new people. I look forward to be able to get movie reviews on this site again.
They should mellow out because a content creator you dislike left? I'm genuinely sad that he was fired because I liked his content. Him and I basically had the same taste in movies so a move he liked I knew I would most likely like too. I'm not going to leave, I will just continue to watch Bob's reviews if he continues to do them at his own site.

Edit: Before someone labels me an SJW for liking Bob's content let me just make one thing clear. I couldn't care any less about GamerGate and Anti=GamerGate stuff. I treat both with extreme apathy and I don't care what Bob's opinions were either on the subject.
I mean because people are stating because Moviebob is gone suddenly theres a lack of content.

Obviously theres going to be new content made to fill the void. There will (hopefully) be a new person to review movies.

Bob is going to go on to make money despite himself, because he is talented. But all this mass exodus really means is a huge opportunity for new people to entertain us.
Hopefully. Besides Unskippable and Feed Dump does the LRR crew still release new skit videos on here? It feels like they stopped. I miss all the cool adventure type things The Escapist used to do. There was that haunted house thing they did for Halloween a few years ago and the Puzzle Adventure they did back in 2010 I believe. I miss those. I would love to see those come back. Are they even doing March Mayhem this year? I feel like we would be told if they were.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Now that's kind of a shame.
I know that I haven't always agreed with Bob, but he was always quite an eloquent and intelligent contributor to this website. To be fair to Bob, he always did have a high opinion of himself - but I always thought he had the intellect to back it up.

But for all his venom, I don't think he would have spread most of it if it were not for this whole Gamergate thing. Personally, I think this Gamergate thing has brought out the very worst in everyone. From the common gamer, to Bob himself.

Come what may, I do wish Bob well. I find him to be a good man at heart and that I do hope he's back up on his feet quite soon.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Regardless of what people think of MovieBob ... I actually enjoyed the majority of his content.

Reminds me of when people despised Jim Sterling at first because of his commentary + videos. Then by some miracle, the lad really improved and became an astounding member, if not a top tier guy on par with Yahtzee (is that why Yahtzee decided to do a series with him about making rhymes? Lol).

MovieBob is less or more the same. Love em, hate him... you can't deny he's done some incredible work around these parts.
It's really sad to see him go. At least it didn't go down like how Extra Credits went. Anyone remember that contravesty? Ugh .......

Still, he'll be missed. Least he can make a name for himself elsewhere and hopefully pick right back up.
I plan to support Bob by buying his book and watching his content on his site. Whatever happened to Extra credits anyway? I remember there was something about payment and an arm or something.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
Good. I'm tired of hearing how horrible middle America is and how women are oppressed violently by the patriarchy. I'm tired of hearing about how everyone who disagrees with him is a boorish asshole who hates blacks/women/minorities. I'm tired of hearing him arguing about how modern gaming is a parade of death and despair and retro games are untouchable masterpieces of design.

I miss the old Bob who would speak viciously and never pull his punches. His early reviews, when he says Megan Fox is hot in the same way a bacon cheeseburger is delicious, were fucking awesome. He was vicious. He was uncut, and he wasn't afraid of offending people. Then he says that "Check your privilege" in one of the Big Picture episodes. Then everyone who wasn't on his side got lumped in with the sociopathic dudebros. Then movies started to NEED to be cast according to race and sex, according to him. I'm sorry Bob, but you've become the cancer that is eating away at society now.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Rednog said:
Good.
He can go sit in the same toxic trash dump that Extra Credits is in. Seriously there's only two guys who I consider absolute scumbags and it's Moviebob and James Portnow. Hopefully the escapist will get some good content to fill the gap.
Wait, I'm actually a little taken aback by this. How is James a scumbag? Genuinely curious.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Good.
He can go sit in the same toxic trash dump that Extra Credits is in. Seriously there's only two guys who I consider absolute scumbags and it's Moviebob and James Portnow. Hopefully the escapist will get some good content to fill the gap.
Wait, I'm actually a little taken aback by this. How is James a scumbag? Genuinely curious.
During a convention and after on twiiter he trashed Total Biscuit; he accused Total Biscuit of being a GG leader, of corruption, taking money from developers and lying about it, lying to fans etc. Just a whole litany of toxic tweets and nonsense. TB replied and James's reply was pretty much if I cared for your response I would have @'d you directly, and I'm too busy for you I'm at a friend's wedding. During this slew of crap TB was at chemotherapy.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Rednog said:
Good.
Wow, Extra Credits always seemed pretty inoffensive. They always left me feeling chipper. If you don't mind me asking, what on earth did James do to put him on the same level as someone like moviebob? I know he disproves of gamer gate, but I haven't seen him do anything to bad that I'm aware of. He certainly hasn't been calling people subhuman. Unless he has, of course.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
Yep if Yartz leaves now so do I, Jim, Movie Bob and Yartz are 99.5% of the reason I came, now it's just zero punctuation...

Dr. Crawver

Nov 20, 2009
Rednog said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Good.
During a convention and after on twiiter he trashed Total Biscuit; he accused Total Biscuit of being a GG leader, of corruption, taking money from developers and lying about it, lying to fans etc. Just a whole litany of toxic tweets and nonsense. TB replied and James's reply was pretty much if I cared for your response I would have @'d you directly, and I'm too busy for you I'm at a friend's wedding. During this slew of crap TB was at chemotherapy.
So, he had and voiced his opinion about one man that you disagree with and so that makes him a toxic personality?

Can you give me any links to some examples, because honestly without definitive quotes I'm not going to really believe it's as toxic as you say, not to mention that I do actually kinda agree with a bit of the sentiment. I personally feel TB is horrendously over-hyped and put on a far higher pedestal than he deserves.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
He hasn't really. EC came out against GG, then had a bit of a slap-fight with TB, who himself has been advising GG and using a fair number of their talking points lately.

Dunno how TB and EC feel about each other now, but that's largely immaterial. GG picked up on "James is against TB and said mean things about a cancer patient" and "anti-GG" picked up on "TB discounted death threats made against anti-gg and is siding with GG" and things have gone stupid.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
"Glad" to know that the mound of shit that is GooblyGaga is still alive and well here.

Anyways, as occasionally toxic as Bob could be at times I'll still probably miss him. I certainly respected his opinions on things and could generally with few exceptions see where he was coming from even if I disagreed with him. I'm unlikely to migrate to another site solely for his videos, so unless he makes drama again in the future this is probably it.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Good.
So, he had and voiced his opinion about one man that you disagree with and so that makes him a toxic personality?

Can you give me any links to some examples, because honestly without definitive quotes I'm not going to really believe it's as toxic as you say, not to mention that I do actually kinda agree with a bit of the sentiment. I personally feel TB is horrendously over-hyped and put on a far higher pedestal than he deserves.
No, he didn't voice his opinion. He slandered Totalbiscuit, he lied, plain and simple. And when he was called on his blatant lie his response was "I hear what I hear" if you're going to accuse someone of taking bribes, do a little research. When TB responded to his accusations on twitter here http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skam53 James waited, like a fucking coward, until TB said he would be leaving twitter to get chemotherapy to respond. Turned out TB hadn't left yet and responded to Portnow's cowardly attacks point/tweet by tweet here. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skbco2

These tweets in an attempt to discredit TB's points about the problems with industry corruption, by the way, was after TB had done several favors for James. Like promoting him and having him as a special guest on (I believe the first episode of) his popular podcast.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Good.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/905/925/b2b.png

I wouldn't personally call him a toxic individual, but he did pretty much attack the guy over nothing. The "I hear what i hear" bit is what really bothers me, it shows such a lack of concern for the truth of what he was saying.

Edit:
Ratty said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Good.

No, he didn't voice his opinion. He slandered Totalbiscuit, he lied, plain and simple. And when he was called on his blatant lie his response was "I hear what I hear" if you're going to accuse someone of taking bribes, do a little research. When TB responded to his accusations on twitter here http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skam53 James waited, like a fucking coward, until TB said he would be leaving twitter to get chemotherapy to respond. Turned out TB hadn't left yet and responded to Portnow's cowardly attacks point/tweet by tweet here. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1skbco2

These in an attempt to discredit TB's points about the problems with industry corruption, by the way, was after TB had done several favors for James. Like promoting him and having him as a special guest on (I believe the first episode of) his popular podcast.
I disagree with bringing up the chemo thing so strongly. TB's been going through a rough time, but he's never asked anybody to handle him with kids gloves and he's never held back from weighing in where he feels appropriate. I honestly dont think the guy would want people to use it as a shield against criticism (legitimate or otherwise)

Dr. Crawver

Nov 20, 2009
Ratty said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Good.

Thank you for only providing evidence to one side of the story, and not actually show any of the tweets in question that are slander. I'll read what TB has to say, but without the context I'm not going to really be able to make a full reasonable judgement on it all.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Dr. Crawver said:
Ratty said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Good.

Thank you for only providing evidence to one side of the story, and not actually show any of the tweets in question that are slander. I'll read what TB has to say, but without the context I'm not going to really be able to make a full reasonable judgement on it all.
I did not link to James's tweets which TB responds to in the second link because TB copied them into the twitlonger to respond to them directly. TB goes over what James said at the convention in the first thing I linked but if you want confirmation there is a youtube video of the panel where James says this which you can look up if you care to.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Dr. Crawver said:
Ratty said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Good.

The second twitlonger actually did contain all the tweets James made on the subject. The only other piece to this is the original video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3QZqD3OQbM

Dr. Crawver

Nov 20, 2009
The Bucket said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Dr. Crawver said:
Rednog said:
Good.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/905/925/b2b.png

I wouldn't personally call him a toxic individual, but he did pretty much attack the guy over nothing. The "I hear what i hear" bit is what really bothers me, it shows such a lack of concern for the truth of what he was saying.
Scanned it to read the twitter quotes themselves, and I won't disagree that the tone is a little...questionable, especially since it does seem to have the vibe of forgone conclusions wrapped in a question, but really if this was enough for people to make people demonize James, I really do find that sad, since he's gone all over the world to genuinely help the games industry.

Feels a little bit like a storm in a teacup, which so much of this always is.

Want to say thank you though for actually providing a source with the twitter comments, even if it means I now have even more of TBs own writings to read just to see his side :p