MovieBob leaving The Escapist

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
McMarbles said:
Well, Jim's gone, and now Bob's gone. Soon, the Escapist will be a perfect little echo chamber where no one will ever have to hear any opinions they're not comfortable with.
Seriously. While politically I aligned with him most of the time when it came to movies it was always hit or miss. I love the first two Expendables movies and Man of Steel. He does not. So yeah when he took pot shots at Man of Steel I was a little angry but after a certain point I realized why and it was because of earlier videos he had done. He's totally pissed off about everything being dark, grim, and gritty and was hoping that the comic book films were finally getting away from that with Iron Man. When they didn't in Man of Steel it saddened/angered him and it doesn't help that it really wasn't the best written movie out there.

The utter lack of introspection and the want to do that is what is really killing the game industry. Jim was the one showing us consumer practices we would have to change if we wanted the AAA side to get better. More often than not Bob was the one telling us at the same time we should be introspective. Without the desire to be introspective or challenge audiences with a piece that requires them to be that we wouldn't have films like Selma or 12 Years a Slave. Gamers as a whole don't listen to understand yet. They listen to fight and because of that we will never have our 2001 or 1984.

faeshadow

Feb 4, 2008
Strazdas said:
Skatologist said:
Odd, recent twitter activity from him points out he feels legitimately regretful for using the terms
Its almost as if he is sorry to be fired. No wonder he regrets saying it - it cost him his job. There is still nothing to indicate he regrets the notion itself, merely getting caught using it. in fact the first tweet you quote flat out says he simply needs to find a "different insult".
It's like that line from Gone With the Wind.

"You're like the thief who isn't the least bit sorry he stole, but is terribly, terribly sorry he's going to jail."

Bob isn't sorry he said that nasty thing. He's just sorry that saying said nasty thing got him fired.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
magicpokey said:
I'll say this one time. I respect the hell out of moviebob, I've been a fan since the early days of Game Overthinker and loved everything he did on this site. Here's the problem. The people who do the awful things are always the loudest voices in the room. It isn't glamorous to be the guy calling for moderation and civil discourse, because the crazy people are louder and usually more entertaining. But those of us on the side of progressive social issues need our voices heard as well. And it takes a lot of guts to be as vocal a mouthpiece as Bob was and still is.

I agree with 99% of everything Bob said here and on twitter. I think Swatting, Doxxing, and all the other -ing's that are used to harass and bully people you don't agree with are morally reprehensible and have no place in a civil society. When you take part in or encourage the type of behavior that the worst of #gamergate was associated with, you deserve to be called out. When you use an anonymous position of power to lash out at people like that just because you disagree with them (or, more often you are shocked that they had the nerve to be a woman in the games industry) then you deserve to be called subhuman.

Call me a Social Justice Warrior. Call me whatever you want, wrong is wrong and if the only way to defend this culture that we are a part of is to get a little dirty, then i'd rather get dirty on the side of RIGHT than Politically Correct any day.

I stand with Bob. I will follow him anywhere, because I respect the hell out of him, and I want him to continue fighting the good fight. Today is a sad day for The Escapist. And I, for one, won't be back any time soon.

-Brian "Magicpokey" Shoop
Clearly you havent really read or even understood what bob actually wrote in those twitters of his.

"There are no bad tactics, only bad targets"

And it wasnt people getting called out, it was people losing their jobs and getting threatened with murder to wich he replied

"if you lay with flea ridden dogs you shouldnt be surprised if you catch some"

So in short: Aslong as you disagree with bob, it is okay to receive death and rape threads, to lose your job and have your family threatened and be doxxed. Because that is stuff that happened to those who lay with those "flea ridden dogs"

Imagine he would have spouted out that vile garbage FOR gamergate instead of against it... yeah.. all of a sudden it doesnt sound that harmless anymore does it?

And you "respect" this man? Liberals nowadays look more and more like faschists... kinda ironic.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Strazdas said:
Skatologist said:
Odd, recent twitter activity from him points out he feels legitimately regretful for using the terms
Its almost as if he is sorry to be fired. No wonder he regrets saying it - it cost him his job. There is still nothing to indicate he regrets the notion itself, merely getting caught using it. in fact the first tweet you quote flat out says he simply needs to find a "different insult".
faeshadow said:
Strazdas said:
Skatologist said:
It's like that line from Gone With the Wind.

"You're like the thief who isn't the least bit sorry he stole, but is terribly, terribly sorry he's going to jail."

Bob isn't sorry he said that nasty thing. He's just sorry that saying said nasty thing got him fired.
Actually I believe those tweets were taken before he announced he was fired/laid off, the day before if I'm correct, so please go on about he was ever so sorry he was fired; I find it entertaining to have such a flawed spin on this. Oh, also mind to dig up the subhuman comments he's made too? Cause I can't quite find them, only the "lie down with dogs" and "no bad methods" ones, most of his other stuff in context considering I don't go through his reply tweets very often.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
MarsAtlas said:
Its almost as if these people have ethical standards for how they're willing to behave.
They do indeed. And some of them choose to base those 'ethical' standards around hypocrisy, bigotry, classism, sexism, and racism. Some even using the quite humane tactics of doxxing and harassment to spread these ideals.

For example, the truly fantastic human being known as Leigh Alexander.[footnote]I was tempted to post a few tweets from the VAST collective of spiteful, bigoted tweets from Devin Faraci, but then I realized this thread's already full of enough hateful nonsense, so I've refrained.[/footnote]

So, yes. All very, very ethical, indeed. True upstanding citizens who must be liberated from the stifling confines of a 'traditional' journalistic career so that they are free to spread their wonderful, constructive message of love, inclusiveness, and acceptance.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Wow... let's See, that removes my reason for visiting the Escapist on Tuesdays and Fridays...in addition to the loss of Jimquisition on Mondays ... and never having a reason to check on thursdays.... uhm... WoW I guess Wednesday is the only day I need to visit the Escapist.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Another case of Thatguywiththeglasses-syndrome. A site with plenty of good content producers, who one by one gets axed by a management who seems to have no idea how to run a website of this format. And then they replace the scrapped guys with amateur idiots that Youtube didn't even want.

First Jim, now Bob, and I fear this won't be the end of it.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Top Five with Lisa Foiles. Jimquisition. Big Picture. Zero Punctuation. These video segments contributed to my wanting to visit this site. And now only one of them remains.

Escapist, there's a phrase about eggs and one basket.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
I am not thrilled with this move, Escapist Magazine, and I will strongly be considering whether to not renew my Publisher's Club membership this year.

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
Welp, been a subscriber for four years, and there went my last reason to renew for 2015. Goodbye, shiny golden badge.

cth

Aug 11, 2009
Can someone link those tweets you were talking about? I don't have twitter, so I obviously don't follow anyone's tweets.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
Silvanus said:
AsurasEyes said:
What's the qualifier for being a "gamer"?

Do the "dudebros" play video games? Yes

Do "gamers" play video games? Yes
The problem with that is that when somebody refers to a category, they are not by extension referring to any group which includes that category.

For example, if somebody says "pirates are bad", it is not reasonable to accuse them of saying "humans are bad", on the basis that pirates are humans. The statement was quite clearly more contained than that.
I don't know, that's still insulting a LARGE facet of a community. And considering how radical Bob is in his beliefs, especially how easily he throws around the douchebag and dudebro label, it's a little worrying how MANY people he's insulting.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I thought you should add content every now and then maybe change out unpopular/bad stuff, but ehm after all this my gold membership is dead I'll watch is occasional ZP maybe critical miss while I'm at it...
And don't quite care for the Bobs Twitter but the content has gone worse lately, watched it mostly to get some insight in comics without having to read a few hundred comic issues I'm just a bit interested in.

Any suggestions for a place where I can get some interesting updates on comcis and movies preferably in video format? I'll start googling youtube content I guess.

Omnicrom

Jun 26, 2012
Huh, with both Jim and Bob gone I don't think there's anything left here for me. I stopped enjoying Yatzhee a few years back so there's not even that.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I'd echo the sentiments of a lot of people here. Bob was one of the better content producers on the site until he "went off the rails" so to speak. His political/social views were always (and unavoidably) part of his criticism but they came to consume so much of his content, while also being so laden with self-congratulation, aggrandization and sneering childishness that it overwhelmed the good. And when I say good, I mean very good. His Big Picture series was fantastic to watch when he was talking about nostalgia, old movies/TV series and the like. I will honestly miss the Bob who did Schlocktober but I am happy to see the Bob who thinks anyone who disagrees with him is [insert intentionally degrading insult here] get thrown out on his ass.

As for the health of The Escapist, I reserve judgement until they fill the creative void. Just because Bob and Jim had some very interesting content they are hardly the only two men capable of creating good works. I'd love to see a guy with Bob's chops come on board if he comes without Bob's worst faults.

I don't know why Bob got canned and I won't speculate; to do so is to create an argument out of nothing. What I will say is that I hope he goes on to create more and better content, showcasing his obvious talents for people to enjoy. I may not respect him or his ideology much (and I am a progressive myself) but I do respect his talent. It would be unfortunate if he can't continue to be a great critic. I do worry that without the reins of an editor, his work will only continue to devolve into bile.

From your #1 subhuman, slimepit, dudebro, slithering around being the cancer that is killing gaming, pretty much a rapist fan: good luck Bob!

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
faeshadow said:
There is a huge difference between disagreeing with your audience, and saying that most of your audience are rapists.
As I said, I don't care what anyone says on twitter. It's twitter. Also, I don't believe you for one second.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
So, Bob's review of 50 shades just went up on youtube. Pretty much the same format as Escape to the Movies, just more Boston accent then usual. And he is already freelancing for Badass Digest with articles. Haters, go home, cause Bob's not going anywhere.

EDIT: Well I guess he's scotching over a little, but that's about it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
MarsAtlas said:
Mmm, no, I understood your point. I was just trying to clarify that their "ethics" are questionable and, in many cases, just downright repugnant.

That's why I agreed with you at the start.

:/

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
What the hell?! Now Zero Punctuation is the only reason I have to visit the Escapist. They've steadily bled away every bit of interesting content (Extra Credits, Jimquisition, now Bob) and with their forums being as horrible as they are Yahtzee is the only thing I have to look forward to.

Someone at management is making a hash of things.