MovieBob leaving The Escapist

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Didn't read or watch his work, just didn't find much appeal in it, but still feel sorry for those who did.
I hope something turns up here to replace it and that should he continue elsewhere, you find access to that content easily.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Well, if it's the truth about Twitter, even Bob has said that 'freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence'. (or some such). I'm sorry to see him go, I'll miss his videos (even when I disagreed with his opinion, he was entertaining), and am not surprised, now that Ross is gone as well. *shrug* See you on Youtube, Bob.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Lovely Mixture said:
Solaire of Astora said:
The lesson, kids, is don't do Twitter. Ever.
Or, don't be an asshole on twitter.
This must be the fifth time I've seen someone try to defend his idiocy.
You been paying attention to how I feel about Bob's conduct?

I'm certainly not defending it by any measure. I think he took a lot of what he was saying way too damn far. I haven't been able to enjoy his content ever since seeing the standards he utilized in his Twitter rants.

I just happen to think Twitter's nature is very conducive to assholes or assholish behavior.

Rob Robson

Feb 21, 2013
Is something going to replace him or is The Escapist just going to keep on as an extremely low-volume second-hand news source with an overly politically correct and overmoderated forum Attached?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
All the best to Mr. Chipman, who is responsible for more of the content I used to come to this site for than any other contributor. I hope he will keep us apprised of his career so I may continue to follow his work.

KissingSunlight said:
If a movie is about a social issue, then it's fair game to comment about it.
This is a very strange sentiment to me. Everything that is put in a movie was put there with a lot of effort from a lot of people: writers, director(s), producers, actors, crew, all of them. Every single thing in a movie cost time and money to insert. Why ought a critic not to comment on anything in a movie he likes? And what other things that are in a movie are forbidden to talk about?

KissingSunlight said:
Even then, the main focus should be on whether the movie is any good or not.
Why are social issues not allowed to be a criterion for whether a movie is good?

Orange_Lazarus

Sep 5, 2014
Examining social issues in a video game/movie/whatever is fine. You can agree/disagree/continue to watch or stop watching.

However, it's understandable that a company would fire an employee for insulting their customers.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Solaire of Astora said:
Lovely Mixture said:
Solaire of Astora said:
The lesson, kids, is don't do Twitter. Ever.
Or, don't be an asshole on twitter.
This must be the fifth time I've seen someone try to defend his idiocy.
You been paying attention to how I feel about Bob's conduct?

I'm certainly not defending it by any measure. I think he took a lot of what he was saying way too damn far. I haven't been able to enjoy his content ever since seeing the standards he utilized in his Twitter rants.

I just happen to think Twitter's nature is very conducive to assholes or assholish behavior.
I apologize. I made an assumption based on other things I had read earlier. That was unfair of me.

I see a lot of people try to defend bad behavior on twitter by blaming twitter itself, hence my confusion.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Holy shit! I knew I had awesome and terrible powers but I can't believe that I got him fired after I stopped watching his show this month!

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?

Oh wait...he probably wasn't fired since I stopped watching his stuff but after his "Worst 10 movies" list where he put two of my favorite movies of last year on it ("Interstellar" and "American Sniper" if you were wondering EDIT: To be clear, I should say "Interstellar" was my favorite movie while "American Sniper" just isn't terrible), I have basically stopped watching his reviews. I don't know if his tastes have changed or my tastes have changed because I just plain don't agree with him a lot lately.

Then with Big Picture, a lot of what he talks about I just don't care all that much about.

I'm not terribly saddened by this news. In fact, I'm more worried about The Escapist and how it's doing than I am about Movie Bob (I don't wish the man harm or anything like that obviously but I am hoping they replace him with someone a smidge more professional and a TON less bias...if only we knew someone already active on the website that could do movie reviews... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/2-50-Reviews]). Really, that's the only reason I care about this news is that he is certainly the second biggest name on this website getting taken out. I just hope it was because Bob has become a kind of a terrible person on Twitter with his toxic rants and management is sick of it than it is because the site is still trying to pour water out of the sinking ship...

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Lovely Mixture said:
I apologize. I made an assumption based on other things I had read earlier. That was unfair of me.
No biggie.

Anyways, there really isn't much justification for how off the rails Bob went. But I don't really want to keep waxing lyrical about how much I disagree with him. All I can say is that intense radicalization is a terrible thing (as is the lack of ability to separate the personal from the professional).

He said some (really) dumb things, but I just hope he's able to find a living doing something similar to what he was doing here.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I liked Bob but I do feel like he has been phoning it in for a little while now. Looking back, when he started writing his Agents of SHIELD reviews, he used to write 4/5 pages. This series and with the Agent Carter ones we got two if we were lucky. As far as his videos go I don't feel the recent ones have been as well thought out or insightful as they used to be.

Overall this is still disappointing news. Over the last year we have lost Jimquisition, Movie Defence Force, Top 5, and now The Big Picture and Escape to the Movies, and that's just the video content.

Now all I have to watch is Zero Punctuation (which I do love but it is only once a week), and 8 month old episodes of Game Theory. Poor offering Escapist, very poor indeed.

Mar 30, 2010
So basically I had three reasons to visit the Escapist: Jim, Bob and Yahtzee. Jim's gone, Bob's going and Yahtzee is beginning to look like the last furiously bailing rat on the HMS Escapist. Shame my auto-subscribe renewed last month. :(

But nevermind! We can obviously look forward to the many 'Top 5' articles that have now become popular here, or the 'Top 8' articles, ot the 'Top 10' articles, or the 'I'm past caring anymore' articles .. etc etc etc ... 'cause nothing beats genuine journalistic insight and discourse like an entirely subjective list, right?

OT: Good luck with your future endeavors Bob. We haven't always agreed but you've always provided food for thought and that's surely the whole point of a discussion forum after all. Cheers fella.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
The last MovieBob video I watched was where he tried to link Halo: Reach's story and themes to the master-race philosophy and the Nazis.

Yup, and I'm fairly certain he wasn't joking.

OT: Good luck to him in the future. He does still have a large following, and something like Patreon, Paypal might just work for him. While I'm definitely not gonna miss his content, I don't see why some people here are being dickish about it.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
People who slag others as manchildren every day of the week invariably have their own maturity problems. And a tenuous grasp of reality.

Patreon you say? I doubt Bob has the juice to pull $10K a month like Sterling.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'll miss Bob. I didn't agree with all of his movie reviews, but he did pan several movies I hated and had takes on a few that made me look at them in a different light upon re-watching them. And I loved "The Big Picture," which was informative and/or entertaining.

And as far as the "meh meh meh, Bob's political agenda soapbox wwwwhhhhaaaaaggghhhh" well, as you can see it never really rubbed me the wrong way. I looked at some of the "here's what Bob said on Twitter" crybaby links during several of the political arguments that broke out and wafted around the Escapist. None of it offended me. Ooh, someone on Twitter has an opinion... my stars! I never really saw the point in getting worked up about it. It's not like there are a couple million assholes with opinions ranting on Twitter or anything.

Bottom line for me, there's less content on the Escapist now. I hope more good content shows up soon. Good luck to Bob going forward, and good luck to whomever (if anyone) we get new content from in getting things going. I hope they're thick skinned enough to take it when they (god forbid) have an opinion about something and find out that no matter what side you're picking there's some group out there who will hate you for it. Even within as positive a community as the Escapist is (as compared to other sites I've been on.)

Oh and a sincere good luck to the Escapist. Seems like lately... they seem to need it. And frankly we could all use some good news. Something we gamers could all enjoy... like a Fallout 4 or HL 3 update or something similar.

Captcha: "toodle-oo" Now that just cold Escapist. Boo!

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
I don't like the whole 'X is gone, The Escapist is DOOMED!!!!'

Doomed? Naaaaaaah, but the site, is, let's say, "kotakuizing" itself, which is already worrying enough.

And between this and the recent exodus from Channel Awesome, it feels like there's some kind of shift coming, but I just don't know what it is.

Well, it was predictable that a business model built from Vloggers banding together to create the next generation of entertainment magazines would eventually reach such a crisis: press outlets have always been fragile and hard to maneuver, demanding a lot of specialized logisticians doing all sorts of essential tasks behind the scene, and many actors in the professionalized vloggers scene simply lacked the skillsets to operate such businesses. Other than that, the market is reaching a point of saturation: too many people going after the same audience means than apart from already established brand-names and very lucky people, most video makers simply won't be able to gain a descent livelihood from their work and will turn to other careers simply because they need to put food on the table.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Just leaves more timeslots for Game Theorists and the gallery of the Day to fill! I eagerly await hearing about how Luigi is actually the spirit demon encased in a carbon copy of Bowser's son theory, or another Top 8 list of meaningless faff that you could figure out by just thinking.