MovieBob's Fall (And Beyond) Preview

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MovieBob's Fall (And Beyond) Preview

As Summer Movie season comes to a close, it's time to look ahead to see what's next.

Read Full Article

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I am interested in the Hobbit movie. Only bloat is the amount of pointless dwarves, none of the die from what i remember so we are stuck with them. I think the LotR had a better cast of characters, where as Hobbit is just full of boring dwarves with zero character - well apart from the main dwarf Thorin.

Intersteller looks great also.

jimthepocket

Jan 10, 2013
Radcliffe hardly needs to chase down box office dollars. Those Harry Potter kids are already richer than god.

I'm quite looking forward to Interstellar myself.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
I am interested in the Hobbit movie. Only bloat is the amount of pointless dwarves, none of the die from what i remember so we are stuck with them. I think the LotR had a better cast of characters, where as Hobbit is just full of boring dwarves with zero character - well apart from the main dwarf Thorin.

Spoiler - A lot of them die. Thorin being the only one I remember dying for sure. It's a really huge change in tone at the end of the story from the start. I'm most interested to see if Jackson keeps all the deaths.

OT - The fact that Big Hero 6 and Interstellar come out the same weekend is cruel. I guess I'll be making a day of it.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Oh... Fall... the season. I confused as to why Moviebob would write an article about his own fall from grace.

Makes more sense now.

vid87

May 17, 2010
-Curious if Rosewater stacks up to Unbroken in any way or are both going to lumped together as the "Don't Give Up!" movies?

-He might have already done so, but it's super weird to hear Radcliffe sporting an American accent.

-I'm a little sad that the more I hear see (and hear the godawful soundtrack), the less I'm interested in Big Hero 6 and, between this happening (whether or not it's actually successful) and Astro Boy having come and gone, get the feeling a Megaman movie is just not possible anymore. Also, calling it that the big brother is the "kabuki mask" villain.

Apr 17, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:

Possible spoiler alert (I dunno what your particular statute of spoileritude is given how old the book is but felt I should cover my bases) but three of them die. Thorin, Kili and Fili. Thats leader dude, the weird elf romance dude and weird elf romance dude's blonde brother in case you can't keep the names straight. In Thorin's case its a redemption thing after he was kind of an avaricious jerk, in Kili and Fili's case...eh, they're not really given any characterisation in the book so they just sort of die

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
Why no Imitation Game on this list?

Sure a film starring Benedict Cumberbatch about one the greatest minds visionaries of the 20th century who defined the basic principles of how a computer works. A legitimate if not standard war hero who was then discarded as trash by his country for being gay?

Yeah it screams Oscar bait but the rumblings and trailers make it sound spectacular.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Force Majeur was a surprise on this list. As a Swede, I've always felt that Swedish movies, like music in Swedish, get absolutely no attention outside Sweden. (Which in most cases is perfectly fair, considering their quality. Or rather, lack thereof.)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Daniel Radcliffe's American accent in Horns doesn't sound to shabby. Now I have to decide if it's a comedy or not.
Want to try something cool? Watch the Interstellar trailer while playing "Learn to Fly" by the Foo Fighters. AN shell yeah, I'm seeing that.
Here I thought Bob would be harsher to the movies that look like "Oscar Bait", but that's what the reviews are for.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:

That's the point of the dwarves. Bombur, Bofur, Bifur, Ori, Nori, Dori, Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin, Kili, Fili & Thorin. 13 names that are impossible to remember who's who, they aren't really supposed to be individual (except Thorin) because you're supposed to read all their names out together in a sing-song, rhyming pattern. That's how Tolkien wrote the book.

LoTR was more adult and could go into the character details, Hobbit is a kids book that's more interested in fun (there's page after page of singing) and letting kids enjoy the silly names than getting caught up in which dwarf was which. It's also supposed to help give the feelings Bilbo has, getting dragged on an adventure with a bunch of people he just met, struggling to remember who's who.

So it might be bloat for a movie, but there's very good reasons for it to be in the book. I dunno about you but I'd rather have a bloated, but true to the book, Hobbit trilogy than one that cut half the dwarves for 'a lean story'.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, general thoughts:

-Interstellar: I'll be honest, there's something about this movie that puts me off it. I think it's due to the premise that "mankind screws up the Earth" (though by the trailers, "screwing up" only means duststorms and crop fires), travels using FTL technology (apparently the rest of the world didn't advance as well), to find a new planet where no doubt humanity will stuff things up as well." Um, yay?

I guess what bugs me at the end of the day is that the whole "end of the Earth" thing feels forced to me. I'd have been happy to have a story about space exploration in of itself, but the apocalypse angle reeks of forced drama.

-Big Hero 6: Eh. It's a Marvel movie, so that's a mark down in my book (ducks flying object). This is very much a taste thing, but I liked the film far more when it was showing Hiro and Baymax, the idea of themes of growing up, friendship, etc., instead of what now appears as a run-of-the-mill superhero movie. Yeah, given the source material I suppose a superhero movie is what people want, but not really my thing.

-Mockingjay: Cautiously optimistic. Mockingjay is the best book in the trilogy IMO, and the second film was a distinct improvement over the first one. Given the nature of the book, I think there's a logical mid-point (no, I won't spoil it), so I could see the split format working.

-The Battle of the Five Armies: I'm not expecting much from this. While I consider 'The Desolation of Smaug' to be a good movie in of itself, I don't consider it to be a good adaptation. 'An Unexpected Journey' had problems, but it was offset by having a spirit that felt distinct from 'Lord of the Rings' and feeling true to the novel. The third film however, I'm expecting the worst of both worlds. Padding, padding, and more padding for a battle that I'm sure will be epic, but with style over substance.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Possible spoiler alert (I dunno what your particular statute of spoileritude is given how old the book is but felt I should cover my bases) but three of them die. Thorin, Kili and Fili. Thats leader dude, the weird elf romance dude and weird elf romance dude's blonde brother in case you can't keep the names straight. In Thorin's case its a redemption thing after he was kind of an avaricious jerk, in Kili and Fili's case...eh, they're not really given any characterisation in the book so they just sort of die
They die defending their Uncle, Thorin, which is tragic because he still dies, which means that the line of Durin just had a huge hammer taken to it.

Anyway, the only two movies on that list that I'm interested in seeing are Big Hero 6 and The Battle of the Five Armies. The rest of them just aren't to my tastes.
And no mention of the Penguins of Madagascar Movie, Bob? For shame! You, uh, should be able to tell what my tastes are now...

vid87

May 17, 2010
Karma168 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:

That's the point of the dwarves. Bombur, Bofur, Bifur, Ori, Nori, Dori, Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin, Kili, Fili & Thorin.
I forgot Balin was one of them....that makes 4 deaths.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I completely misread the title. I read it as, "Movie Bob's Fall" and then ignored the rest. For a split second I thought that Bob was quitting and we might be getting a new film reviewer. For the briefest moment I thought there might be a chance we'd get someone who wasn't prone to fanboyism getting in the way of making a constructive review.

And Man

May 12, 2014
I really wanna see Birdman, but I haven't been able to find any theaters that are showing it.