Moviebob's Re-Tales

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Moviebob's Re-Tales

MovieBob reminisces about his years working retail before he started reviewing films.

Read Full Article

reithena

Sep 18, 2012
Oh my dear goodness can I sympathize. I think all of us who have worked in entertainment retail can certainly understand the story. Glad you got out, which I hope was of your own volition, unlike my exit from retail.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
That last one was a great story bob. If you have more of these I will certainly read them. How did you manage all those years in retail without wanting to rip your hair out? I can't imagine the bufoons and imbeciles you must have had to deal with. But then I guess stories like that one are what got you through it.

Funny thing, I remember in middle school having a sailor moon vs. ronin warriors debate with a female classmate.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Drake the Dragonheart said:
Funny thing, I remember in middle school having a sailor moon vs. ronin warriors debate with a female classmate.
And which side of the debate were each of you on?

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
I was going to say, you should have easily made $600 in sales with all the games and accessories he bought with that Wii! Plus, it sounds like at that point, it was either the Wii or nothing. I feel for you though, retail sucks balls a lot of the time.

The second story though, this one just made me smile. And laugh, but mostly just smile at the sheer sweetness of it. More stories in the future please!

Mark D. Stroyer

Apr 12, 2011
Good stories, Bob.

Stories significantly improved in the mental reconstruction by the Expo.

Sadly, my retail experience is somewhat less interesting as a whole.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
I didn't think my opinion of you could go any higher. The thing that sales people fail to understand time and again is that pushing only pushes people away and that guiding leads to sales. As for the second anecdote, I'm not only glad you helped the dude out, I'm amazed how cool the Dad played it. As you hinted at, not too many parents are keen on gender-bending. Humanity gets a rep +1.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I'd love to see more of this Bob. Both stories, while different in tone, were a pretty interesting read.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Tenmar said:
Wait wait wait. You weren't able to sell them on the fact that you sold more accessories and therefore prevented any sort of shrink from occurring and also ensured that your store's inventory wouldn't be backstopped with older accessories?
Yeah, but we're talking about retail managers here. They probably went to *shudders*... business school.

When I bought my Wii, games and accessories included, my total was $666.

True story.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
Could have said like
"No, that man did not come in here to buy a 600$ system. He came in here to buy an idea. When he found out that the reality of that idea was nothing like what he wanted, he wasn't going to buy anything.
I did not turn a 600$ sale into a 300$ sale. I turned a 0 sale into a 300$ sale."

The sailor moon story was really sweet, great quick thinking :)

Phuctifyno said:
Yeah, but we're talking about retail managers here. They probably went to *shudders*... business school.
I went to a business faculty and I'm not that dumb :(

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Great anecdotes, Bob. I think you should talk more about stuff like this in the future.
Also, I can't remember whether the first anime I ever saw was the original Dragonball or Sailor Moon, but I do remember watching Sailor Moon with my big sister. Our parents kept saying that we may not have been the right age for a show like this (we were around 7 and 8, respectively), but our innocence kept us from the show making any impact on us beyond the show's action. However, I'm pretty certain that subconsciously I was also enjoying watching the pretty girls, something I wouldn't realize until a couple of years down the line.

You know what? This column makes me wanna go back and revisit this show (I don't think I even finished watching the entirety of it),

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Phuctifyno said:
So, lack of vision? Because if Bob's advice panned out for the customer, like it most likely would have, that would have made him a satisfied customer. And he'd probably remember the good advice he got [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKC4IbIIdnY#t=4m0s] and come back again and again.

(starts at 4:30)

KITTY: Well Red, everyone doesn't research every product before they buy it.

RED: Well, then they're dumbasses.

KITTY: Well that's right. And that's why they need you to tell them what to buy.

Phuctifyno said:
When I bought my Wii, games and accessories included, my total was $666.
I know I've always considered Nintendo to be the Devil. Although the WiiU might end up being my first Nintendo console since the NES. Just call me Faust.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
As someone who worked entertainment retail myself for several years I always enjoy hearing other peoples stories of their experiences.More please Bob