Moviebob's Re-Tales

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Ah, memories...
I remember back when i was in elementary school, before heading to the bus stop, me, my brother and my sister watched an hour of cartoons while we had breakfast. Me and my bro enjoyed watching Dragonball Z, and then we left to focus more on eating and packing up when Sailor Moon came on. I thought it was too girly. A few years later it was on Toonami, and then I watched a couple episodes and sort of liked it. Changed the channel any time my brother came in the room... didn't want to be seen seeing the "girly shows"...

I enjoyed these stories. I would love having more of them. Hell, I'd like seeing something like this on an episode of the Big Picture.

Pariahwulfen

Mar 23, 2010
I must say that more of these would be most welcome. You also could have mentioned to the father that if his son were of age and went to an animecon dressed as Tuxedo Mask or some of the villains, he was pretty much guaranteed to get laid back then.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Funny, thing thing that catches my attention in the second story was buying 4 DVDs of Sailor Moon. I recall that show (and most anime DVDs at the time) being prohibitavly expensive. Still I think every Otaku has hid behind that excuse at least once. Mine's still Utena. Yeah, sure I'm here for cool sword fights and blatent lesbianism.

First story, speaking as my office finance guy, your boss was an idiot. Good customer service leading the uninformed to good products leads to customer loyalty and repeat business.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
I got to say a good read. Would like to see more, because little things like this is why the retail job is worth while. I know I constantly get told, DO NOT HELP WHILE ON BREAK.Simply cause it is a joy to help people out. I remember once a customer was having trouble looking for games. This was probably a mom, didn't know if the collection of 100 shuffle games was a better purchase then Plants vs. Zombies. Rather then going the, this sucks that doesn't route. I pointed out how Plants vs. Zombies allows for an easier entry point. That would allow for both her and him to play the game. This made her happier, and next time she came in looking for me. Didn't even know I didn't work that department.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Those were some nice stories Bob. I'm on your side in both of them. You did the right things.

Good show.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah we were little too old by the time Sailor Moon came out but when me and my brothers were between I don't know... 5-10 maybe, we liked Gem for a short while specifically because we liked the girls.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Not that I don't always love these columns, but when it got to the "man-to-man" discussion I reflexively rested my face in my hands in the "Ooh, where's this going to go?" pose before I even realized it.

And you have a decade's worth of this? Hell yes, please continue!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
These were great stories, Bob! Brought me back to the days of classic Toonami, when I was just starting to like anime. More please!

captcha: al capone
the REAL Scarface (who Montana?)

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
Pariahwulfen said:
I must say that more of these would be most welcome. You also could have mentioned to the father that if his son were of age and went to an animecon dressed as Tuxedo Mask or some of the villains, he was pretty much guaranteed to get laid back then.
SOMEBODY ought to write a tell-all about the kinky goings on at anime conventions over the years...

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Woah, let me get this straight.

This was Wii Year One, and you had Wii's in stock? Where I live finding a Wii in that era was more difficult than finding a drug dealer (not that I know >_> <_<). In some cases it was about as sketchy as finding a drug dealer. It was bad. So many retailers had black non-transparent bags because if people saw a bag from gamestop or best buy or toys r us they would literally steal it in the hopes of getting a Nintendo Wii. My friend worked at target and it was horrible. When he would sell a Nintendo Wii he would check the person's ID, radio in to the back room, tell them to send a Wii up to customer service and tell customer service to check their ID again. He would also recommend to the person buying the Wii to get a cart and do some regular shopping and put the bag with the Wii at the bottom of the cart. You might think this was to get more business for Target, but it was actually because people were stealing Wiis in the parking lot. He told them that he recommended this because people would steal wiis and having a cart of other bags and boxes throws thieves off.

It was horrible.

buzzkill34

Nov 11, 2009
Bob,

Long time reader/watcher, first time poster. Keep up the excellent work :) I thoroughly enjoy just about everything you put out. In fact, you've even replaced Ebert as my go-to critic for sci-fi, fantasy and comics-based movies.

Looking forward to more from you!

Andrew

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Drake the Dragonheart said:
That last one was a great story bob. If you have more of these I will certainly read them. How did you manage all those years in retail without wanting to rip your hair out? I can't imagine the bufoons and imbeciles you must have had to deal with. But then I guess stories like that one are what got you through it.

Funny thing, I remember in middle school having a sailor moon vs. ronin warriors debate with a female classmate.
Ooh, I remember that debate. That one was weird. Most of the guys were on the Sailor Moon side, while the girls took the Ronin Warriors. Odd, at first, but one suspects there's a lot at play in both conventional and unconventional gender roles. Like the ideas of anecdotes to supplement, but that doesn't mean I don't still want to read the usual Intermission stuff as well. They're both good reads.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Wow, those were pretty awesome stories Bob, more please.

I especially liked the second one, I definitely think you might have made a difference in that boy's life by helping his dad support his son's hobby.

themechanic

Aug 30, 2012
Love the retail story, obviously mgmt was unaware that the margin on consoles was around 3% at that time(5% for the wii). Accessories is where its at with margins well over 100-300% so they probably came out ahead on the wii deal...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
My favorite is Sailor Mercury!

I watched that show every chance I got, but I was the only boy I knew who watched it. Heck, I was the only person I knew who watched it. As such, I had to tape it and wait until no one was around. When my uncle found out that i watched the show, he teased me about it so much. Wish I had known someone like you back when I was a kid. Nowadays, I have two friends who are as crazy, if not more so, as I am about Sailor Moon. People seem more accepting of 'outside of gender shows' now than when I was younger. Good save for the dad in the story.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
I never really got into sailor moon, but i fell totally in love with Magic Knight Rayearth... even if I do strongly prefer the manga to anime

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
I think that you should try to vary the 2. if there is no clear talking point for the week (standard intermission stuff) then put in some stories.

maybe if you have a few interesting topical stories you could maybe through them together as a big picture.

though I would still like to see you talk about some of the more "traditional" intermissions as well.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The Sailor Moon one actually made me quite miserable. Well both did, but the latter one in particular. I'm glad it panned out okay, but I don't think there is any stopping the "I hope to God my son ain't a pansy" angst the guy seemed to be suffering from.

Keep getting an urge to watch King of the Hill, all of a sudden.