Moviebob's Re-Tales

rod_hynes

Jun 21, 2009
Good stuff Bob! Keep it up! BTW the PSY Dance you guys did on the fly was the best part of the convention videos- I wish I could have been there! Gangnam Style FTW!

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
MovieBob said:
Moviebob's Re-Tales

MovieBob reminisces about his years working retail before he started reviewing films.

Read Full Article
**grin**

That Sailor Moon story was heartwarming. I'm glad you talked the Dad into being cool with it.

And as someone who owns all of those Sailor Moon DVDs, many purchased from a store in that was probably of the same franchise, yes, that was a mighty sale.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot - I liked the personal story thing. Keep em coming!

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
MovieBob said:
Moviebob's Re-Tales

MovieBob reminisces about his years working retail before he started reviewing films.

Read Full Article
While I was life guarding for a certain nonprofit health and fitness organization I was approached by someone in maintenance who told me that they would be working on the pumps and if the chlorine levels rose that I should just leave the pool open and come find them. I was the only guard on duty that day so I couldn't leave and federal law mandates that if the chlorine level reaches a certain point I am obligated to close the pool 'till they are brought under control. That's exactly what I did. About an hour later my boss shows up (she had the day off) and tells me that I should have listened to the maintenance person and kept the pool open. After I explained my position (that if anything happened to some in the pool I would be the one to lose my job and I would be the one facing a lawsuit, not the person from maintenance) after which my boss agreed with me. However the maintenance person pushed for my termination, and if it wasn't for the fact that I was one good terms with the other guards, and the my boss loved me (I always picked up any shift that was needed, sometimes working the entire 5am-9pm day, and was always calm and collected when angry parents were screaming at me) I would have been fired. So yeah jobs like that can suck. alot.

impocalyptic

Oct 31, 2011
I can sympathize with you bob. I work at a theater and I got torn up for not offering more large popcorns and drinks when we already had a packed lobby. I understand giving the customer what they want. We also get concerned parents in about different films as well. It'll be interesting tomorrow with dredd. Mwahahahaha!!!!!

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Why on Earth would I pick a favorite Sailor Scout? They ALL have so much going for them! I guess if I had to choose It'd be a toss up between Lita and Rei.

Anyway, those were pretty good stories Bob. Glad you shared them with us. That second one in particular was rather heartwarming all things be told.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to Google image search some...individuals...

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I enjoyed reading both of those stories Bob, they remind me of my time in retail, well the first one more than the second one. My first retail experience was at a preppy clothing store that invited the most vapid customers/ employees and had horrible music and I had to deal with a lot of situations like your first one, usually regarding my facial hair or choice of clothing. My job at a certain defunct video rental store I had a few moments where I got to recommend a movie to someone and have them come back a few days later declaring me their new movie-recommendation guy, but I also had more than one customer return a movie on the grounds that it was foreign.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
I'm surprised that with the second story, you didn't bring up "The Show that Must Not be Named". It does prove that liking something that's supposedly not meant for one's gender is not a new idea.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I've never seen Sailor Moon, partly because I live in Australia and anime DVDs are a pretty rare commodity down here. This just reminded me it was around...Thing is, I don't have any nostalgia for that time or that genre of anime. At all. So...

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I liked this, and would like to see more.
Mental image past Movie Bob stories have a lot of incomprehensibly thick Boston accents.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
That second story reminds me of the time I tried to convince my dad that MLP is a good show. If only it had such a simple explanation...

Anyway, like everyone else is saying, these are awesome. You have a way with words, Bob, and you seem to have led an interesting life. Combining the two is a sure way to hold my attention, that's for sure.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Fun read, Bob, and having done my own time in retail I can certainly empathize. By all means give us some more.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Oh wow, those were great stories. Especially the second one. Good on ya bob. Definitely good advice. I can completely sympathize with growing up with a parent who doesn't quite understand your interests or passions, so... I feel you definitely did a good deed for that kid.

I wouldn't mind at all if you continued with these. I love anecdotes about retail, especially if they're as amusing or beautiful as these two.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I can imagine that during the Escapist Movie Night with MovieBob, people ranging from a little kid to Chris Pranger (Media Sandwich) would sit on your lap and think or even dare to ask, "Would you tell me a story, Bob?"

And maybe you even told them a story like one of these, and the person on your lap sat in childlike wonderment like you were Santa Claus. That's the kind of feeling I felt while reading this.

MattValtezzy95

Oct 1, 2011
Man, this was probably one of the best Intermissions that I've ever read. As much as I liked the first story, the second really struck a chord with me. Man, I only wish younger me could have had someone like you when I was first starting to get into anime (granted I wasn't into Sailor Moon and most of the other gender crossing shows back then or even now for that matter) since my family didn't really understand why I was getting into these silly comics and cartoons from Japan. (As they called it) But hey, now that I have the internet, it's all good.

F1ak3r

Apr 15, 2009
I hate to be that guy, but...

"...Wait." Says the guy.
should be [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Quotations_and_speech] "...Wait," says the guy.

Great column, though. You should do more of these.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Story one sounds like it may have come from a Circuit City. I've heard many tales from folks that worked at one. Many of those people didn't work there for long for reasons like in said story.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
antidonkey said:
Story one sounds like it may have come from a Circuit City. I've heard many tales from folks that worked at one. Many of those people didn't work there for long for reasons like in said story.
I believe Bob has already said once in one of his shows where he used to work. I think 2 of them were Circuit City and Blockbuster. Apparently, firing Bob brings bad luck to you.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I had been meaning to get around to this for a few days but I'm glad that I finally did - I really enjoyed this.