Moviebob's Text Review of Batman v Superman and oh boy he is ANGRY!!!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Even if Bob is overstating it again, if even half of his plot synopsis is true then thats all i need to know.

Disco Biscuit said:
Who is this raging man-child? I've never heard of him.
He used to be the single greatest contributor of video content on The Escapist.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Eh. Bob's always angry. That's the problem with overstating everything. Even if something comes along that genuinely deserves it (no idea if this movie does but I doubt it) it doesn't stick out from the rest of his statements.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
PainInTheAssInternet said:
Eh. Bob's always angry. That's the problem with overstating everything. Even if something comes along that genuinely deserves it (no idea if this movie does but I doubt it) it doesn't stick out from the rest of his statements.
Pretty much this. Bob's entire thing is he's a salty stereotypical internet nerd who hits as many of the stereotype check boxes as possible (including the "nerd who hates other nerds" one). He wasn't always like this, the better part of a decade ago when I first found his work he was so far removed I'd dare saw he was the exact opposite of who he is now, so I'm left to genuinely wonder if he's actually like this in real life or if he is amazingly consistent at keeping up an act on all his social media accounts and articles/videos he makes.

I'd honestly like to know because it would mean the difference between wanting to commend him for his acting abilities or pity him for the hole he's fallen into.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
To be fair Bob's entire shtick is he's an impossible to please, nostalgia blinded and bitter Gen X-er who simultaneously thinks the world left him behind and yet never lived up to his own expectations of it, trapped forever in his own imagined past where somehow pop-culture was not geared towards selling toys to kids and the only real test of a man's character was how many quarters he saved each week to spend blindly on arcade machines in a desperate attempt to get onto that much loved and romanticized Top Score page.

So does is shock me he doesn't like something not geared 100% to his taste and made exclusively for him? No, not really.

Christian Neihart

Jan 29, 2012
Oh how dare he not like a movie that takes a dump all over Superman and Batman's legacy and is an altogether slog of a movie to sit through? How dare he! That man is the devil for pointing out glaring faults in the movie's story and conveying it in whatever way he deems fit!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MysticSlayer said:
inu-kun said:
So he's taking greater offence that the movie exists rather than its quality?

Does someone else finds this creepy?
I don't believe that anyone (even Sony or Marvel) knew Spider-Man was going to Marvel at the time of his Amazing Spider-Man 2 review. In fact, a lot of the reason he hated the movie so much was that he felt so much of it was sacrificing a good movie in favor of being a simple message to investors of "See all the stuff we [Sony] are throwing together for future years!" But personally, it doesn't surprise me at all he hates Dawn of Justice, since all the previews seem to indicate everything MovieBob hated about Amazing Spider-Man 2, even down to the message to investors. I also remember him liking Man of Steel only marginally better than Transformers, a movie he still seems to be finding ways to rant about even years after the fact.
Yet he still placed Man of Steel 1# is his top 10 worst movies list of 2013.

tiamat5

Aug 6, 2008
He does lean more on the melodramatic and seems to exaggerate slightly but if any of what he is saying is true it really does sound like a train wreck. I mean I could see it was going to be somewhat of a train wreck and had several issues and problems with it that were conveniently unanswered and ignored so I was prepared for it being one. I think i will skip this one and maybe bootleg it or something. I will save my money for other stuff like Civil War and maybe X-men Apocalypse IF it is any good and go see 10 Cloverfield Lane or something. I mean I don't know why any one is surprised .The very fact that Zack Synder was directing it, the lack of any real explain of the story and the fact they distanced themselves so far away from the other big hero movies should have been an indication.

Dazzle Novak

Sep 28, 2015
The histrionic man-child is right!

Forget my annoyance that the same people decrying Hollywood's lack of originality is cultivating the tsunami of nostalgia (mixed metaphors ahoy!) that is the current blockbuster market because they want to be convinced their decades long obsession with childhood artifacts is totes healthy and not at all emotionally-stunting. There's room in the ball-pit for us adults, too, goddamnit! And why aren't none of these balls black and grey? The ball-pit is mature, dog.

Building a Superman movie without a belief that some people genuinely are self-sacrificing (and not only in a pretentiously grandiose Jesus-on-the-Cross sense) and fulfilled by performing their duties and responsibilities rather than cripplingly burdened by them (or hell, even just be a kind person without it being boring) is building a monument atop quicksand.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
tippy2k2 said:
You might as well ask water to stop being wet or fire to turn down the heat a little. Whiny fan boy manchild is Bob's schtic. To expect anything else from him is kind of silly...
Yeah, pretty much.

It's his jam, an annoying jam, but it's how he reviews movies. It's mainly the reason why I stopped giving a shit about what he thinks about movies since he goes overboard with shitting on a movie. I know I fully expected him to rant about how bad the movie is given how the reviews on it are thus far.

Even if the reviews were saying it was a competent film and a must see, he didn't like Man of Steel, so I at least expected back-handed compliments.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
inu-kun said:
Samtemdo8 said:
inu-kun said:
Can't quote since I'm on my phone, but funny he says he wasn't that angry since Transformers, apparently he forgot about new Spiderman 2.
Now I am just flining accusations against him but I am going to say it.

Probably because the concequence of Amazing Spiderman 2 is that Sony basically gave the rights back to Marvel so now Spiderman is in the MCU and since he is obviously a Marvel fanboy why would he not be estatic about that. I mean when it was revealed that Spiderman is coming in the MCU he changed his twitter profile picture with a Newspaper saying "He's Back" referring to Spiderman.

I've pretty much always found Bob kind of creepy, and kinda sad too.

His rage in so many of his reviews really made me think he simply had nothing else going on except for his attachment to comics/video games and his pop-culture laden childhood, which is why he didn't just seem to take it as "oh well that stinks, this movie I had high hopes for was bad", he took it as an almost personal insult.

A lot his reviews reeked of actually being about something much deeper. For example, his review of "Fast 5" felt creepily like "the actors in this movie, and the people who like this movie, remind me of people who used to pick on me in high school, therefore if you like this movie I hate you".

I never read it, but apparently his "Super Mario Bros 3" book had parts where he talked about his childhood, and how he would fantasize about living in the Mushroom Kingdom, and would hide in his car playing Gameboy so he didn't have to interact with his family.

And so many of his attempts to fight against supposed racism or misogyny or whatever social justice cause he was on at the moment just felt like he needed an excuse to be mad at someone or something, and him making internet videos gave him a sense of power and allowed him to lash out at people who had more stuff in their life than "Samurai Pizza Cats" or collecting Power Ranger DVDs.

Disco Biscuit

Mar 19, 2016
Ihateregistering1 said:
inu-kun said:
Samtemdo8 said:
inu-kun said:
Can't quote since I'm on my phone, but funny he says he wasn't that angry since Transformers, apparently he forgot about new Spiderman 2.
Now I am just flining accusations against him but I am going to say it.

Probably because the concequence of Amazing Spiderman 2 is that Sony basically gave the rights back to Marvel so now Spiderman is in the MCU and since he is obviously a Marvel fanboy why would he not be estatic about that. I mean when it was revealed that Spiderman is coming in the MCU he changed his twitter profile picture with a Newspaper saying "He's Back" referring to Spiderman.

I've pretty much always found Bob kind of creepy, and kinda sad too.
He is, and will always be my vision of a "Broken Toy".

KikBlava

Apr 11, 2009
Ah good old MovieBob, still fuming like an angry fanboy? I only got as far as the second paragraph because I want to leave what few spoilers are left unspoiled but, here's one line that drew my attention.

"BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE ? a malignant, puss-bleeding cancer on the ass of its own genre."

Damn, that is cruel. I mean I've not seen the film, I will see it but I had my worries about it long before the reviews came out, but for god's sake Bob, it's just a movie. It's not like it killed someone you loved and you have a bazillion different options in the genre if you hate this one. To a 'normal' nerd like me it just seems petty to rage on camera about a simple movie. I get it, it's Batman and Superman, you expect better especially after the Christopher Nolan trilogy but it sounds like you're personally offended. Then again guys, we are talking about an irrational SJW here. I'm not defending the movie, I'm not excited for it, nor am I uninterested in it, but I feel as if he needed to handle this better.

And one more thing, saying it's as bad as the first Transformers film? I'm sorry but that doesn't mean shit to me seen as I actually liked the first Transformers film. It was dumb sure but I thought it was a pretty good attempt at adapting the franchise to live action film. Better than the others at least. =P

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
inu-kun said:
Damn, now I really want mail his book to a psychologist and hear what observations can be percieved from it.
It's something I almost want to buy a copy of to read, not for entertainment, but to understand what is going through his mind. I mean just look at this oddity.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
My problem with the "don't listen to reviews, make up your own mind" argument is that you might waste your own time and money on the same petulent garbage the reviewers tried to warn you about.

I haven't read any reviews to make a decision yet, but I tend to agree with the average. If enough reviewers say something is bad, I'd rather not put down my own money to find out whether or not I agree.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm hesitant to watch or read his review until after I see the movie itself. I still remember what he thought of Man of Steel, because he reminded us in almost every review video he made AFTER his MoS review. Jaysus, we get it! You don't like it because it didn't measure up to your expectations! It's not like they threatened your family or something!
Worst case scenario: he's taking bribes to crap on every entry from the DC Cinematic Universe.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
My goodness, Bob, if you say it's a bad movie, okay, that's fine, but don't go as far as being such petulant child!
I'm really not sure what people want here. Mr. Chipman is saying nothing every other review I've read isn't saying, except for the word "fuck" every now and again.

Parasondox said:
When is he not ever angry?
He frequently is not angry. He releases plenty of reviews of movies that don't make him angry, and has an entire series devoted to celebrating good movies. His anger is largely a Flanderized construct being kept alive by people who dislike him, and keeping that narrative alive requires us to ignore a significant portion of his output.

Parasondox said:
I get it, you dislike something. Perfectly fine, but if you dislike something so much, do you need to focus on it more and shout about it for months and months and years even?
I find a certain irony in this complaint, given that it seems predicated upon going on for months and years about his reviews of movies like the Amazing Spider-Man.

inu-kun said:
funny he says he wasn't that angry since Transformers. apparently he forgot about the Amazing Spider-Man 2.
You took a very different read of his review of that movie than I did, if you interpret that as primarily anger rather than primarily depression.

inu-kun said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Now I am just flinging accusations against him but I am going to say it.

Probably because the consequence of the Amazing Spider-Man 2 is that Sony basically gave the rights back to Marvel, so now Spider-Man is in the MCU; and since he is obviously a Marvel fanboy, why would he not be ecstatic about that? I mean, when it was revealed that Spider-Man is coming to the MCU, he changed his Twitter profile picture to a newspaper saying "He's Back," referring to Spider-Man.
So he's taking greater offense that the movie exists than its quality?
You are taking a third party's assertion as fact that every reason Mr. Chipman has given over an extended period of time as to why he dislike a movie is a lie, and that changing his avatar is proof of his true motivation. I feel as if the jury is a bit rigged, here.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
JimB said:
Samtemdo8 said:
My goodness, Bob, if you say it's a bad movie, okay, that's fine, but don't go as far as being such petulant child!
I'm really not sure what people want here. Mr. Chipman is saying nothing every other review I've read isn't saying, except for the word "fuck" every now and again.

Parasondox said:
When is he not ever angry?
He frequently is not angry. He releases plenty of reviews of movies that don't make him angry, and has an entire series devoted to celebrating good movies. His anger is largely a Flanderized construct being kept alive by people who dislike him, and keeping that narrative alive requires us to ignore a significant portion of his output.

Parasondox said:
I get it, you dislike something. Perfectly fine, but if you dislike something so much, do you need to focus on it more and shout about it for months and months and years even?
I find a certain irony in this complaint, given that it seems predicated upon going on for months and years about his reviews of movies like the Amazing Spider-Man.

inu-kun said:
funny he says he wasn't that angry since Transformers. apparently he forgot about the Amazing Spider-Man 2.
You took a very different read of his review of that movie than I did, if you interpret that as primarily anger rather than primarily depression.

inu-kun said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Now I am just flinging accusations against him but I am going to say it.

Probably because the consequence of the Amazing Spider-Man 2 is that Sony basically gave the rights back to Marvel, so now Spider-Man is in the MCU; and since he is obviously a Marvel fanboy, why would he not be ecstatic about that? I mean, when it was revealed that Spider-Man is coming to the MCU, he changed his Twitter profile picture to a newspaper saying "He's Back," referring to Spider-Man.
So he's taking greater offense that the movie exists than its quality?
You are taking a third party's assertion as fact that every reason Mr. Chipman has given over an extended period of time as to why he dislike a movie is a lie, and that changing his avatar is proof of his true motivation. I feel as if the jury is a bit rigged, here.
(Regarding the last post)

Not only he he changed his Avatar, he also made post about it.

I can't find the exact twitter post (if anyone is willing to find it do so)

But basically he just wrote a description of him basically laughing in maniacle glee and happiness that Spiderman is now part of the MCU.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Elfgore said:
The internet loves a good rant and over-reaction to something. Just look at some popular YouTube channels. I Hate Everything, Your Movie Sucks, Channel Awesome(kinda), Jim Sterling, A Dose of Buckley, and quite a few others. All have over four hundred thousand subscribers and get a large amount of views on every video.

Bob's most likely trying to hit up that market. He may actually be mad about it, but saying "the movie is the biggest disappointment of my life and needs to die in a fire" will attract more clicks than "this movie was a disappointment."
I've seen exactly one of his videos (Pixels) and this seemed abundantly obvious to me. I could see people being annoyed because it was patronizing, but people don't actually take this stuff at face value, do they?