movies full of win that noone has seen

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
elvor0 said:
In Bruges.

Probably not as obscure as some films I suspect people will come up with, but it is a great film, starring Colin Farrell (Seriously, he's really good in this film, enough for me to forgive him being in Total Recall), Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fines. If you've seen Seven Psychopaths, a more recent and publicized film, it's the same director.
Oh damn, yeah! I remember seeing this once. Not a huge fan of serious films but there was enough comedy to keep me invested enough that the film really hit me in the feelings. D:

I don't think I can ever watch it again, actually. It'd make me cry. xD

ThingWhatSqueaks said:
9: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472033/?ref_=sr_3
Also want to second this one. I was lucky enough to find a DVD of it in a Cex shop. (Also with Highlander. Bought that as well.)

Summerstorm said:
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist - I stand by my opinion: Maybe the funniest movie i have ever seen (Except the digital Baby-Part... that was crap.)
I also have this on DVD. I had to pause the film so many times because I was laughing so hard, I ended up missing stuff.

The ones I have to recommend are both strange comedy's (Kind of in the same genre as Kung Pow)

First is Kung Fu Hustle [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373074/?ref_=sr_1]. It twists the story so many times, and is so over the top, without taking itself seriously. :D

Second: Shaolin Soccer [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286112/?ref_=sr_2]. A little like Kung Fu Hustle, but with Soccer? You can read more in the links, tbh. I suck at describing movies.

Oh! And my Canadian friends would be ashamed of me if I didn't mention Super Troopers [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247745/?ref_=sr_1]!

It's about State Troopers that do hilarious pranks a lot, but it also gives you a serious (ish) story along with it.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Bestival said:
I don't know anyone that's seen Pan's Labyrinth. I only saw it a few months ago myself, and thought it was beautiful.
Excellent film, but damn was I surprised having gone into it expecting it to be a whimsical adventure movie, sort of in the vein of Labyrinth or The Dark Crystal, y'know Jim Henson-esque, but no, it's actually a movie about

a family surviving the horrors of civil war Spain, in a fucking brutal refugee camp, with the titular labyrinth possibly being a figment of Ophelias's imagination as a way of escapism. Even the fantastic elements of the film are pretty grisly.

Jan 1, 2013
I don't watch movies enough to know which ones are popular!

Attack the Block is the best movie I've seen this year, but it's from 2011. The only person I ever saw referencing it was moviebob in one of his recent episodes.

2010 The year we make contact. It's the black sheep of the family being the sequel to Kubrick's 2001: A space odyssey. I enjoyed more than the classical movie because it has more tropes of the medium that I enjoy like dialogue and plot. 2001 had those but they were spaced out too far.

Versus is a samurai gang movie with zombies. Strangely it doesn't get mentioned often. It's a Japanese independent film. The new and improved cut can be watched on Youtube with English dub. It also has my favourite katana in fiction.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
I Think I'll rep the aussie films, just because I don't know how much publicity they get around the world but they're full of win.(somtimes)

Candy- Heath Ledger in my favorite Australian film

$9.99- a claymation film where Geoffrey Rush plays a homeless drunk angel mooching of mortals going through existential crisises(and so much other random shit)

The Square- the Edgerton Brothers make tight neo noir film thats superbly restrained.

Thunder Struck- its awesome

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
snappydog said:
elvor0 said:
In Bruges.

Probably not as obscure as some films I suspect people will come up with, but it is a great film, starring Colin Farrell (Seriously, he's really good in this film, enough for me to forgive him being in Total Recall), Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fines. If you've seen Seven Psychopaths, a more recent and publicized film, it's the same director.

You go in expecting your typical "British" style gangster movie, but what you get is a really touching story, with some great themes, visual flair and great laughs with some excellent characters. If it matters to anyone, Roger Ebert gave it a four out of four star review, and that dude is hard to please.

Go, go watch it. The trailer really doesn't do it justice.
Absolutely incredible movie for several reasons, including but by no means limited to:
The three main actors all being incredible
Soundtrack (Der Leiermann springs to mind)
Surprisingly laugh-out-loud
Beautifully held balance between humour and genuinely touching moments
'YOU'RE AN INANIMATE FUCKING OBJECT!'
A few moments later: 'I'm sorry I called you an inanimate object, darling..'
Shit, yes, In Bruges appreciation! This is definitely one of my favourite comedies. Fantastic for all the reasons listed above, as well as it being a really great example of how quickly and smoothly the tone of a film can change from serious and dramatic to funny, and then back again. In other films it can come across as disjointed and clunky, but it's really natural in In Bruges.

OT: I saw a Coen Brothers film a couple of weeks ago called "A Serious Man," which nobody I know has even heard of, let alone watched. It's sort of a dark comedy about a modern-day Job whose life begins to fall apart all at once, at the worst possible time. It has a subtle sense of humour, and also does a really good job of dealing with themes like human behaviour and the uncertainty of life, which I mean in the least artsy-fartsy way possible. (/hipster) It's one of those films that gets better after a couple of viewings, and it's definitely not for everyone, but it's worth a chance if you like bleak comedy or over-analysing the hell out of things. It's got Jefferson Airplane in it and the guy who plays Arnold Rothstein in Boardwalk Empire as the lead actor, if that interests anyone.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Dark Star. Imagine the space parts from 2001: A Space Odyssey, only the ones that weren't completely incomprehensible, and then imagine making them completely unserious, but you make them unserious in a completely serious manner.

That's Dark Star.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Res Plus said:
ItouKaiji said:
Res Plus said:
Ghostdog is very good and no one I know seems to have heard of it but it may be the Escapist's favourite movie, I dunno!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPJTsIhMHqE
Ghostdog: Way of the Samurai is a pretty cool film. I was lucky to catch it late one night and now I've seen it three or fur times. It's the perfect balance of tongue and cheek humor with some drama. The action scenes aren't the greatest, but it's also kind of hard to buy Forest Witaker as badass assassin. However, the movie's atmosphere, great soundtrack (and I'm not even a real fan of rap), and simple but well executed story make up for the movie's weak action. There are some nice little philosophical segments that again strike a good balance of actually saying something without getting lodged up their own butthole with pretension. So yeah, cool flick and something interesting to watch.
Good summary IK, even down to an excellent soundtrack when I don't particularly like rap. A surprisingly witty film I thought.

Another couple - Hanna http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993842/

and - Thank You for Smoking http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427944/
Thank you for smoking now that is a great film!

I guess I will recommend God Bless America