Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The main trailer that always puts me in mind of being an awesome trailer that got me to spend money on something massively disappointing isn't a movie, its a game, it was Mercenaries 2.

I have never seen an ad for a game that sold me on the game like this one and then the game was just a mediocre buggy blegh. Traded it in 2 days after getting it. Still though, great ad.
I remember how awesome that commerical was, then saw the reviews and....yeah.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Black Mass. Not a bad movie but the trailer made it look way more awesome than it ended up being.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

THIS was my first time experiencing that disappointment from a trailer to final result.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I don't watch many movies, so I don't have any major examples to pull from. Maybe the new Star Wars movies, but that's about it.

A really big example of disappointment for me though... is RWBY. Not a movie, but the trailers are still things I go back to and watch, and they still hype me so good, especially the Black and Yellow trailers. But the show...? Sad times, my dude. Sad, sad times

Reactions: BrawlMan

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Eh, just make it short and say most of them these days. Trailers have gotten annoyingly formulaic and they always give away the best shots and scenes so there's little to surprise you in the theater.

The main trailer that always puts me in mind of being an awesome trailer that got me to spend money on something massively disappointing isn't a movie, its a game, it was Mercenaries 2.
That reminds me of a little nugget from the 90's. I give you, Maabus:

When I was like 10 and found this trailer in a package of freeware I thought it was the raddest thing I'd ever seen. We're so much easier to please as kids. And yeah, the song s cheesy AF when it's not outright awful, but damned if it doesn't get stuck in my head.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Eh, just make it short and say most of them these days. Trailers have gotten annoyingly formulaic and they always give away the best shots and scenes so there's little to surprise you in the theater.

That reminds me of a little nugget from the 90's. I give you, Maabus:

When I was like 10 and found this trailer in a package of freeware I thought it was the raddest thing I'd ever seen. We're so much easier to please as kids. And yeah, the song s cheesy AF when it's not outright awful, but damned if it doesn't get stuck in my head.
Oh man, devs back in the day were way too excited about that old chunky 3d back when they really should have stuck with pixel graphics. I swear I played that game before, it looks really damn familiar at points.