Movies that don't age well

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Fanta Grape said:
Verlander said:
Fanta Grape said:
Verlander said:
Clockwork Orange. For something set in the "future" it looks very 60's...
I'm calling Bollocks on that one. The first time I saw it was only a few years ago but it's still one of my favourite films. I think it doesn't make much sense (much like Back to the Future II and how it takes place in the distant future of 2015) but it's still great.

The Batman movies by Tim Burton. Great for their time, but if you saw the Dark Knight first...
Just because you enjoy a movie, doesn't negate the fact that it hasn't aged well. As a massive Kubrick fan, I think it's easy to see that this film has aged the least favourably of all of them. Take The Shining for instance. The fashions, and pop culture references are very much of its time, but that doesn't ever detract from the film. CO is very much a late 60's-early 70's film, and everything from it's wardrobe to it's soundtrack, keep it firmly held there.
I believe that 2001 has aged rather horribly. Not because of modern trends, but because of audiences. As a spoilt child of generation-y with no attention span, I found the film incredibly hard to watch. My mind got so easily bored by the lack of cuts and dialogue. I mean I think it's genius. It works really well. I can totally understand why it's made. But...

On that note, I'd say A Clockwork Orange doesn't really show toooooo many pop culture items from its period. I mean the undoubtedly late sixties, early seventies fashion style is prominent but the set direction is other worldly, Beethoven is from the 19th century, Singing in the Rain was already a couple of decades old and the cinematography is extremely kubrickian.
We should probably just agree to disagree on this issue, although I'd like to pipe up and point out that 2001 was ALWAYS a really hard film to watch. Substances help