Movies that mess with your head?

Hummmy

Jun 30, 2011
Well I just finished being mind-fucked by Shutter Island.. I don't know how I didn't watch this movie earlier, it was such a good movie. It was one of those movies which kept me guessing until the end.. And the end itself just imploded my brain!

But anyway, I just wanted to see if you guys could recommend me some other movies like this that just mess with your mind in this sort of fashion?

I know it's a pretty vague request as I don't know the technical genre for this type of movie, but just throw some movies at me.

Thankyou!

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Chick Flicks... I wanna kill myself after half the movie.

No, that's not a good thing.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
I predicted the twist ending to Shutter Island whilst he was on his way to the island at the start of the film.

You want a real mind blowing twist watch Memento. Seriously, that film is one of the most unique and amazing things ever. Just to let you know how weird it is, the whole thing is told backwards.

Or, if you fancy making a trip of it, you could go see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. That's a pretty cool film, not quite as mind blowing and a tad slow but still, top notch.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Go watch Eternal Sunshine On The Spotless Mind. It's some of Jim Carey's best work in my opinion, and is a bit of a mind-fuck. Of course, that was my opinion. It's one that you do need to pay a decent amount of attention to as well.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only films I can think of are Mulholland Drive (you will honestly have no idea what is going on in that film at all) and Memento (quite confusing until the twist in the end but you probably figure it out by then).

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
Crank 2, to this day, I have no idea what I watched, and whether or not I liked it, it was just mental, especially the Godzilla like scene. Sex Lives of the Potato Men is another one, but for all the wrong reasons, that film is one of the best films ever, but some of the stuff in it is just too weird.

crom jr

May 28, 2011
I agree, enternal sunshine of the spotless mind and momento are great mind fucks... maybe donnie darko...

oh but if you want an amazing slasher horror mind fuck get high tension, i hate horror movies (or modern ones i guess) but this one is french (dont worry its dubbed good) and its way good

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Kapol said:
Go watch Eternal Sunshine On The Spotless Mind. It's some of Jim Carey's best work in my opinion, and is a bit of a mind-fuck. Of course, that was my opinion. It's one that you do need to pay a decent amount of attention to as well.
Dammit, ninja'd already.
In that case, Run Lola Run.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Donnie Darko, once you finish it you feel the need to watch it again to attempt to fully understand it.

deehadley

Jul 4, 2011
Have to second Primer, the only way a film could be more confusing is simply by not having a plot.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
Here is an odd one. The Truman Show, it really does mess with my head. Knowing everything and watching Truman come to terms with something only he does not know about truly messes with my mind. An inverse of the other films being mentioned here.

What if its happening to me? What if the whole world just watched me write this post?....ah time to check the whole house for cameras again.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Bobic said:
I predicted the twist ending to Shutter Island whilst he was on his way to the island at the start of the film.

You want a real mind blowing twist watch Memento. Seriously, that film is one of the most unique and amazing things ever. Just to let you know how weird it is, the whole thing is told backwards.
I think what you realise at the end of the film is more of a head fuck then the actual twist. Excellent film though.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Puddleknock said:
Here is an odd one. The Truman Show, it really does mess with my head. Knowing everything and watching Truman come to terms with something only he does not know about truly messes with my mind. An inverse of the other films being mentioned here.

What if its happening to me? What if the whole world just watched me write this post?....ah time to check the whole house for cameras again.
I was going to suggest this also. Lil' me watched that movie soon after it came out, and I was paranoid for months afterward.

If you're looking for slightly more serious fare, OP, perhaps Inception or A Clockwork Orange.