Movies you aren't ashamed of liking

Harpalyce

Social Justice Cleric
Mar 1, 2012
Nine to Five. Yep, the movie with Dolly Parton in it.

I will absolutely sing along with the song if it comes on the radio, too. No regrets, no shame. And if you haven't seen it, you need to see it - trust me on this one.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Paradox SuXcess said:
Starship Troopers. I know people would think it's cheesy and dumb and full of gore, action and T&A, well... they are right and that's why I love it.
You sir have good taste. Starship Troopers is my all time favorite movie. And I really like the SNL movies from the 80's and 90's (Night at the Roxbury, Coneheads, Blues Brothers, Wayne's World). And Mom and Dad Save the World.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Mean Girls, because even though it seems like it might be aimed at teenage girls, it?s still just a damn good film with a brilliantly satirical look at the animalistic nature of teenage hierarchies in high schools. Also, Lindsay Lohan when she was still hot and not a drug addict.

End of Days. I heard it got a lot of bad reviews, but?come on, it?s Arnie and it?s the Devil. I thought the action was great and the characters were engaging, despite the somewhat unoriginal plot.

The Street Fighter film. I just love the ridiculousness of the Belgian Van Damme playing the quintessentially American Guile, and how fucking camp it is, despite M. Bison being probably the only accurate character adaptation in the film.

Spy Kids 3: Game Over. Even if it wasn?t as good as the first two, I still found it hugely enjoyable (although part of it may be due to the fact that it was the first film I?d watched with a video game-based gimmick like that).

Fantastic Four. Due to not being an invested fan of the comics, I was able to enjoy it for what I felt it was; a big, dumb, superhero action film.

The Family Man. Nic Cage fucking makes it for me in that film (?TA-DA!?), and it?s genuinely one of the few rom-coms that I actually like. I really found myself getting engaged with the characters? plights and lives.

The Final Destination series. Except for number 4 (with its horrible 3D and the plunge that the CGI had inexplicably taken), I have a morbid fascination with just how inventive the director can get with the deaths, not to mention that it does suspense well.

Spider-Man 3. I wasn?t bothered by the three-villain set-up, and ?Emo Peter? was hilarious. Just look at the gif posted above.

Frokane

Sep 28, 2011
NEVER BACK DOWN

the fight scenes are truly awesome and its a very watchable movie.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Ratty said:
1. Not to my mind. Though a lot of people seem to think it's a kind of "so bad it's good" thing when actually it's very good at what it is. It's not a goofy horror movie it's an adventure comedy with horror elements. I've seen that movie at least 20 times in my life. (Starting in grade school.) Probably more.

3. Rental stores were neat. You went out and rolled the dice on a movie based just on the box. Sometimes you'd find a great film you never knew about and sometimes it'd be crap. Either way you were stuck with it for that night's entertainment. An experience later generations won't get, but they ultimately get the better end of the deal.
One of the few good things about the city where I live, we have a local businessman who got his theater chain started with a single discount 2nd run theater. He has since driven all other movie theaters here out of business and is branching out to other cities (which is good because his theaters are sweet.) But he never got rid of that first theater, and every other weekend or so he'll get a "cult classic" and show it up on the big screen again. Army of Darkness gets shown almost every year, and its a bigger blast than most Rocky Horror viewings I've been to.

And rentals... yeah, I've rolled those dice. Speaking of Bruce Campbell, the picture of him as Elvis on the cover of Bubba Ho-Tep is the only reason (well that and the blurb) I picked that movie up. I'm much better off for the experience.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I've decided that yes I do in fact like musicals. I use to refuse to watch them when I was teen and thought the idea of people randomly bursting in song was stupid. Music sequences can be fun or very emotive and a good way to work in a characters thoughts. Now if only there were more musicals with music I like.

Avatar (blue cat people not that travesty based on the cartoon)
It was cheesy, heavy handed in it's message and I rolled my eyes at the end but I still like it. I don't know how hated this movie actually is though. Could jut be that it has very vocal haters since it was big.
I don't watch that many movies though so I can't think of many that are really regarded as terrible that I've seen and like.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Paradox SuXcess said:
RedDeadFred said:
Paradox SuXcess said:
Starship Troopers. I know people would think it's cheesy and dumb and full of gore, action and T&A, well... they are right and that's why I love it.
I'm gonna have to join you on this one. I mean, how awesome were those crazy propaganda commercials?!
Time to join the Mobile Infantry MoFos.

LETS KILL SOME BUGS!!!
THE ONLY GOOD BUG IS A DEAD BUG!!! I used to watch this film at least twice a day when I was younger and still have the video tape lying around somewhere. Shame all the sequels were just plain awful....

Also: Sucker Punch seems to have an ill reputation around these parts but it had Imperial German steampunk zombies in gas-masks and that's more then enough for me!

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Army of Darkness
Real talk, that is not a movie ANYONE is ashamed of liking.
Everyone fucking LOVES Army Of Darkness.
It's one of the greatest movies of all time.

Anyhow, I don't give a damn what people think about what I like.
I'm a 6'1" manly man viking looking dude -
My favorite movie is probably Roman Holiday.
I love Garden State, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, Romeo+Juliet, (500)Days of Summer, Across The Universe, The Devil Wears Prada, and Veronica Mars is my second favorite TV show, and I think My Little Pony:Friendship Is Magic is pretty great.
I have no issue admitting to the "embarrassing" stuff I like, and outside of the "girly" stuff I don't even know of any movies I like that one might imagine that I'd be embarrassed by.

There are Alpha Wolves who lead the pack, Beta Wolves who follow the pack, and Omega Wolves who give no shits about what a pack thinks.
I'm an Omega Wolf.
I rarely get along with guys, since apparently I find the Alphas and Betas intolerable. So in general I tend to find guys harder to respect than women, and as a result my closest friends are 6 women and only 2 guys.

As said, Army Of Darkness is one of the greatest movies of all time. It's AMAZING. It's also cheesy as all hell. Is that supposed to somehow be embarrassing?
Starship Troopers is a dumb movie that's pretty cool because of all the Imperial Guardsmen fighting Tyranids. Suuuper cheesy. Should I be embarrassed?
I love superhero movies. That used to be "embarrassing" and now it's the popular thing.
As far as I'm concerned the rest of the world is just catching up to my tastes.

I'm really genuinely having a hard time thinking of a movie it would even hypothetically be embarrassing to like.

People have mentioned
- Transformers - love 1, hate 2, 3's fairly good
- Godzilla '98 - still my favorite Godzilla thus far. Good movie.
- Disney Princess stuff - Beauty & The Beast, Tangled, and Brave are fantastic. Can't wait to see Frozen. Who the hell doesn't like Mulan? WTF?
- Reign Of Fire - How can anyone NOT like a movie full of dragons, smoldering ruins, fire, smoke, and an angry axe-wielding Batman?
- Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Not a great movie, but the only real problems with it were monkeys, swinging on vines fast enough to keep up with racing jeeps, and sword fighting in racing jeeps. (Oh, and technically the nuked fridge is scientifically sound, except that they animated the blastwave incorrectly. Still a big eyeroll scene though.) The crystal skull and aliens themselves were great. No less weird than the McGuffins from Raiders or Last Crusade, and crystal skull & alien lore is already a long established thing of actual legends and mythology. Hell, there was already a whole episode of Stargate SG-1 about it loooong before the Indiana Jones movie came out.
- Pirates Of The Caribbean 2 & 3 - Great movies. Anyone who likes the first one but not the second and third ones wither hasn't thought the 1st one through properly, or hasn't thought the second and third through properly.
Nothing about those movies is weirder than skeleton-ghost pirates, and the deepest parts of the first movie's storyline are what the other two are all about.
Now the FOURTH movie....THAT is where the series started to get aimless and dull.
- Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - It was kinda cool, and AMAZING CGI for the time.
- Equestria Girls - As said, I like MLP:FiM....and SOMEHOW Equestria Girls was actually a REALLY good movie....despite the weird as all fuck humanoid ponies... No idea how they pulled that off, but they did.
- Daredevil - The Director's Cut is actually pretty good. Most of that movie's problems are Elektra and Evanescence.
- Meet The Robinsons - That's a great movie. I actually take mild offense on behalf of human imagination and the spirit of creativity that people don't like that movie.
- Iron Man 3 - Anyone who doesn't think it was a good movie is just wrong. Thier opinions are bad, and they should feel bad.
- Star Trek Into Darkness - GREAT movie. Waaaaay better than the first one.
- Amazing Spider-Man - It's good...mostly. Garfield is a better Spider-Man, but they really screwed up the Lizard, and making all of the villains products of Oscorp is a stupid mistake.
It's bad enough having the whole Marvel universe battle in New York on a daily basis, but having an entire rogue's gallery produced from a single huge mad science factory in the middle of town...COME THE FUCK ON....
- Monty Python And The Holy Grail is one of the greatest comedies ever made. Certainly the Pythons' very best.
- Jumanji - Great movie.

Oh! I'll add Rush Hour.
People don't seem to properly respect Rush Hour.
Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2 are awesome. Rush Hour 3...not so much.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
DementedSheep said:
Avatar (blue cat people not that travesty based on the cartoon)
It was cheesy, heavy handed in it's message and I rolled my eyes at the end but I still like it. I don't know how hated this movie actually is though. Could jut be that it has very vocal haters since it was big.
I don't watch that many movies though so I can't think of many that are really regarded as terrible that I've seen and like.
We mostly just have no respect for it because it's just a ripoff of Disney's Pocahontas...except in space. Even has a big magic tree...

Zhukov said:
Uhh... the Hellboy movies?
I'm pretty sure everyone loves those movies, seeing as how the whole world is constantly nagging Guillermo del Toro and Ron Perlman to make Hellboy 3. (they both want to ASAP. ...It's just that del Toro is basically the busiest guy in Hollywood and has to find the time to do it.)

mistahzig1

May 29, 2013
I love the movie Hitman and could watch it every month for the rest of my life and iirc this movie is not a popular one.

That and the 2nd Riddick movie. I simply love that character. He could do a cooking show and I'd watch it on loop