Movies You Love That Nobody Has Probably Ever Heard Of

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
I recently, I found a movie on the Netflix Instant section called "Wristcutters: A Love Story". Let me tell you, I have no idea why I had never heard of that movie, but it is GREAT! I'm not going to spoil the plot, but you guys should check it out!

So, what movies do you love and think are great that probably nobody has ever heard of before?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Tokyo Gore Police.

Its got alot of gore and is just plain silly Blood Jet legs ftw

Also Battle Royal a film about children murdering eachother on a island and its enforced by the goverment.

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Fandango.

Best movie ever made for the college student. I went so far as to bury my very own Dom and seek it out with my buddies when college was over.

suxturdman

Jun 19, 2011
Mine is a famous movie but non of my friends seem to have seen it. Donnie Darko. Takes a while to understand but it's awesome!

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
For me it's the works of Satoshi Kon. They're well enough known in the anime community, but no one seems to know what I'm talking about outside of that. My favorite film of his is Paprika, but I've only seen 3/4 of his films.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
I don't know anyone else besides my family who has seen Everything is Illuminated, or Waking Ned Divine (called Waking Ned in the UK). Both movies are awesome, but fairly unknown to pretty much everyone I've met.

chowderface

Nov 18, 2009
Nocturna. It's a Spanish/French animated film, but it was made for an English Market, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding it in a language you can understand. It's about this little kid who's so spittin' terrified of the dark that he can't sleep unless he's under a window whose shutters are open to the starlit sky. Then, when the stars start disappearing, he goes on a journey to save them. The animation is freaking gorgeous, I mean, it's French, are you really surprised the animation would be great? I'm not kidding, go watch it right now.

RemuValtrez

Sep 14, 2011
Hmmm I will have to go with my favorite movie from my childhood, The Shadow. Great movie, though now that I think of it, I haven't seen it in quite a long time. I should fix that lol

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
henritje said:
Battle Royal.
it got a sequel but it felt a bit to army-i for me.
3 of my friends are massive fanatics for the Battle Royale films, so they always seemed quite well known to me.

On a worldwide proffesional scale Let The Right One In is well known and on the internet too but in real life it always seems like nobody has heard of it really apart from me...

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
The Phantom Tollbooth:

That trailer doesn't really do it justice. Basically, it wants to be an educational kids' film but only really succeeds in being trippy as fuck. I used to love it as a kid, which I guess maybe explains why I'm so messed up now... =P

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Not many people I know have heard of Where Eagles Dare. I would have nominated It's a Wonderful Life, again going by who I know and what they've seen, but I think if I came across too many people that hadn't heard of that then my faith in humanity would take a nice dive.

They're certainly not unheard of, but I haven't seen too many obscure films and out of those that I have seen I've enjoyed less than half.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Horror Express.
It's your typical "strange bedfellows" + "prison" + "enemy out of this world" scenario.
Some of best rpg adventures are based on this solution.
Also, i'm a big fan of actors.

suicide samurai

Jul 17, 2009
OP: Wrist-cutters is semi-based on Eugene Hutz, of Gogol Bordello. He's the guy who sings the song that runs through the whole movie.

Here's a good one for those of you who like dark, witty things. "S.F.W.," which fits nicely into the world of "Fight Club," and "Falling Down."

Video Detective

[edit: links seems funky, but just type "sfw trailer" into google, and it'll pop right up. It's a good flick.]

Also, check out "The man from Earth," and "The Fall."

There are many good movies--sadly--that never reach the audiance they should.

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
The Sea Prince and the Fire Child. It's billed as a kid's movie, but the themes it deals with are not children's material. I saw a copy my dad had when I was little, it was on a VHS. I wish they had transferred it to DVD because I still want the movie. I check Amazon every now and again. I never find it on DVD though.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Veldie said:
Tokyo Gore Police.

Its got alot of gore and is just plain silly Blood Jet legs ftw

Also Battle Royal a film about children murdering eachother on a island and its enforced by the goverment.
Nope I've heard of it and absolutely love it

I love B movies, anything made by the asylum is awesome but my favourite is Rubber which is about a killer tyre. I didn't believe it was real until I looked it up

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. It's a movie where Van Helsing chases Dracula to China. It combines vampires, martial arts and gratuitous nudity. And it's awesome.

Another one would be Caligula. It's a big budget exploitation film from 1979. There's plenty of sex and violence (especially the former), and the role of Caligula is played by freaking Malcom McDowell.

And just so you don't think I only like movies with gore and titties, I also really like both Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre: The Wrath of God.

Eccentric_Jon

Jun 20, 2010
Flamezdudes said:
henritje said:
Battle Royal.
I have both & loads of my friends love them, probably more to do with the people I hang around with than it being well known though....

henritje said:
On a worldwide proffesional scale Let The Right One In is well known and on the internet too but in real life it always seems like nobody has heard of it really apart from me...
I'd LIKE to deny that I've seen it, but I've watched both versions that came out over here (UK), because my fiancee liked them. I thought they were awful. Bored from start to finish.

GrimTuesday said:
I don't know anyone else besides my family who has seen Everything is Illuminated, or Waking Ned Divine (called Waking Ned in the UK). Both movies are awesome, but fairly unknown to pretty much everyone I've met.
I saw Waking Ned Divine on the plane to Canada for a school trip back in 1998/99 (can't remember which). Nobody else I have mentioned it to has ever heard of it.

I would have said Death Note, but that's boomed in the last few years, so for me it's probably "Stay Alive", starring Frankie Muniz. I believe it was call "Death Game" over in The States.
"Paprika" is pretty good too....

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Dead Man.

This may be a little more well known, but I still love it. People may tell you the movie is boring, some say that nothing happens in it. Those people are wrong. The movie is great.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Eccentric_Jon said:
Flamezdudes said:
henritje said:
Battle Royal.
I have both & loads of my friends love them, probably more to do with the people I hang around with than it being well known though....

henritje said:
I'd LIKE to deny that I've seen it, but I've watched both versions that came out over here (UK), because my fiancee liked them. I thought they were awful. Bored from start to finish.

GrimTuesday said:
I saw Waking Ned Divine on the plane to Canada for a school trip back in 1998/99 (can't remember which). Nobody else I have mentioned it to has ever heard of it.

I would have said Death Note, but that's boomed in the last few years, so for me it's probably "Stay Alive", starring Frankie Muniz. I believe it was call "Death Game" over in The States.
"Paprika" is pretty good too....
Holy crap, you are the first person I have ever "met" who has seen Stay Alive (it had the same name here in America) other than the people I saw it with.

I'm actually having trouble thinking of an obscure movie that hasn't taken off at some point between me finding it and now.