Moving out?..

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
It's come to that point in life where the parents are getting mad about my age...(18) And for me to move out. As much as I'm scared about it, ( Living on my own for the first time ) I cannot wait. Things at home with my parents are less than perfect and nearly always end up in rows.

So, as I come to this, the first "Major" step on the road of life, I ask, escapists. What was your experience with this? How did you feel? How did you find it? And, if you haven't moved out yet, what do you expect and are you worried?

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
Yes I am worried about living on me own, the two things I know how to cook are Omlettes and Toast everything else has to be cold or else I'll have food poisoning.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
FolkLikePanda said:
Yes I am worried about living on me own, the two things I know how to cook are Omlettes and Toast everything else has to be cold or else I'll have food poisoning.
Same with me, my cooking skills are...iffy, at the best. Super noddles and Pot noddles? No problem! But don't expect anything more complicated than that! haha

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
well when i move out it will hopefuly be to a uni with flat m8s so i dont have to pay for rent

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I was homeless two different times in the two years after I moved out of my mom's house. Pro-tip: plan *everything* way ahead!

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
I moved out at 20 trying to start my own business while in college.

Both attempts failed and I moved back about 3 years later.

None of which I am proud of.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
xchurchx said:
well when i move out it will hopefuly be to a uni with flat m8s so i dont have to pay for rent
Don't be lulled into that, your student loan and other finance options will contribute towards that! So, you'll end up paying! Will just cost you later.

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
I felt rather comfortable about moving out as I just came back from 3 years of boarding school. Sure it sucks having to do everything by yourself but having your own place is worth it.

Pro tip. Make a proper budget with your money and it can't go completely wrong.

Tasachan

Jan 28, 2010
I got my first apartment when I was 19. Of course, by then I was pregnant with my second child, so I didn't really want to be a burden on our family anymore.
From my experiences (as well as witnessing some of my friends) it is easiest if you split a place with a friend at first. Moving out on your own is a huge jump!
The only problem with moving in with friends is that there always ends up being fights over who does more housework. As long as you keep up with the chores, and your housemates do too, then you should be fine.
Formatting a good budget, and trying to stick to it, is another big thing. Its wayyyy too easy to spend a lot at the grocery store. (Or on alcohol for you younger folk). And, moving out is kinda pricey, because you have to buy cookware, towels, furniture, utensils, plates.... if you can start gathering things at bargain stores now, it also really helps. (My brother has been doing this for a good year or so, he has a coffeemaker and all kinds of kitchen things stocked up). You don't realise how many things you use on a daily/weekly basis until you don't have it. (can opener, for example)

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
I'm decent with budgeting..The housework is going to be a nightmare but I'll cope. I did think of seeing if any of my friends would like to go half's on a house, will have an ask around. Would be massively relieving knowing all the strain wasn't just on me!

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
I moved out to go to Uni 3 years ago and it's brilliant. I started barely knowing anything about appliances and the what-not and knowing nothing about cooking and took to living on my own like a duck to water.

And am now quite adept in the kitchen even if I do say so myself.

It's daunting at first but the sense of freedom is amazing.

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
I look forward to when that will happen, although I have no idea/plan/thoughts about it whatsoever, except that it will probably happen within 2 years and that I will travel around for a while before finding a place I like. Still, it completely depends on what kind of work/education/whatever I'll be aiming for at that moment. I have no fixed plan at all for the future, except that I will fulfil an important promise as soon as I can.

I think I have an advantage of being good at cooking, budgeting and stuff like that as well... xD

soilent

Jan 2, 2010
Dectomax said:
It's come to that point in life where the parents are getting mad about my age...(18) And for me to move out. As much as I'm scared about it, ( Living on my own for the first time ) I cannot wait. Things at home with my parents are less than perfect and nearly always end up in rows.

So, as I come to this, the first "Major" step on the road of life, I ask, escapists. What was your experience with this? How did you feel? How did you find it? And, if you haven't moved out yet, what do you expect and are you worried?
Dont do it, ever.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
soilent said:
Dectomax said:

Dont do it, ever.
Haha Any reasons for that? xD

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
Moved out a few months after I turned 19, when I started at uni. Loved it. Cooking really isn't as hard as you think before you start doing it on a regular basis (and this coming from someone who had to learn how to cook while sharing a kitchen with 19 other people). What I did was to make a list of a few different dishes I liked which were easy to make (marinated chicken filet with noodles for instance) to get started, and then pick up new dishes when I felt like it. I love trying out new things when cooking though so I may have had it easier in that department than many others.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I've come to the point where I am ready to move out. I'm not in the least bit uncomfortable with the thought, on the contrary, I really want out of here, what I'm scared of is getting stuck here for far too long. But of course it's not gonna happen because moving out costs a sheitload of money that I don't have -.- So I really don't see myself moving out any time soon :(

Mar 9, 2010
I felt... shit I'm only 16. I so wish I was in your position, I've never had a room of my own and nothing round here's going so great. I can't fucking wait to just get out and live on my own schedule and not everyone else's. I'm worried about how I can't pay for any of it, especially since university costs will be in the £9000 area. Yeah, I'm up shit creak.