Moving out?..

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
CynderBloc said:
Holy crap, your parents are trying to get rid of you and you're 18? My parents completely freaked when I told them I was moving out at 22.

I loved living out, even with the regular arguments that all of us had about random crap. Alas, I am back home now, simply to save money (stupid recession)

Good luck, and if it snows while you are living away from home, I dare you to match our achievement of building a 7ft high snow penis in our front yard.......(There is a photo of it somewhere but I couldn't be bothered hoking it out)
Yup, don't exactly see eye to eye with them. So we have the odd row and it tends to go down the same route...That I game too much, that I'm not putting enough effort in at college and that my only option was the army. ( Hell, they didn't even come to my passing out parade...). So, it would feel nice to get out and feel some fresh air for once.

As for that challenge, living in England and all, We've never, ever got enough snow to do that? Now that I think of it, I've never really contemplated how much snow that would take? xD

soilent

Jan 2, 2010
Dectomax said:
soilent said:
Dectomax said:
It's come to that point in life where the parents are getting mad about my age...(18) And for me to move out. As much as I'm scared about it, ( Living on my own for the first time ) I cannot wait. Things at home with my parents are less than perfect and nearly always end up in rows.

So, as I come to this, the first "Major" step on the road of life, I ask, escapists. What was your experience with this? How did you feel? How did you find it? And, if you haven't moved out yet, what do you expect and are you worried?
Dont do it, ever.
Haha Any reasons for that? xD
Well, depending on your job situation, it can either be great, or a complete and utter mindfuck.

guess how hard it is to get a job in my shit-hole town..

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
CynderBloc said:
I dare you to match our achievement of building a 7ft high snow penis in our front yard.......(There is a photo of it somewhere but I couldn't be bothered hoking it out)
you can't be bothered to look up a photo a of 7 feet snow penis?!
I feel like I don't even know you anymore.
not that I ever did. xD

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
I felt... shit I'm only 16. I so wish I was in your position, I've never had a room of my own and nothing round here's going so great. I can't fucking wait to just get out and live on my own schedule and not everyone else's. I'm worried about how I can't pay for any of it, especially since university costs will be in the £9000 area. Yeah, I'm up shit creak.
Student loan covers that and with the increased prices also comes the increased pay back price. You don't have to pay the loan back till your earning over £21,000 a year.

Everyone's got a chance to do what they want, just got to commit to it.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
soilent said:
Dectomax said:
soilent said:
Dectomax said:
It's come to that point in life where the parents are getting mad about my age...(18) And for me to move out. As much as I'm scared about it, ( Living on my own for the first time ) I cannot wait. Things at home with my parents are less than perfect and nearly always end up in rows.

So, as I come to this, the first "Major" step on the road of life, I ask, escapists. What was your experience with this? How did you feel? How did you find it? And, if you haven't moved out yet, what do you expect and are you worried?
Dont do it, ever.
Well, depending on your job situation, it can either be great, or a complete and utter mindfuck.

Not as hard as good old Cornwall in the UK. We have very little industry down here. I'm lucky I have 3 years of service on my contract, so I should be fine until the renewal comes up!

soilent

Jan 2, 2010
Dectomax said:
soilent said:
Dectomax said:
soilent said:
Dectomax said:

Dont do it, ever.

Not as hard as good old Cornwall in the UK. We have very little industry down here. I'm lucky I have 3 years of service on my contract, so I should be fine until the renewal comes up!
good luck to you then, my friend.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
CynderBloc said:
Dectomax said:
Yup, don't exactly see eye to eye with them. So we have the odd row and it tends to go down the same route...That I game too much, that I'm not putting enough effort in at college and that my only option was the army. ( Hell, they didn't even come to my passing out parade...). So, it would feel nice to get out and feel some fresh air for once.

As for that challenge, living in England and all, We've never, ever got enough snow to do that? Now that I think of it, I've never really contemplated how much snow that would take? xD
Hmm, sounds a bit like me, although my parents never really gave a crap about how much work I did, they would just drop subtle hints about how I'd work in retail the rest of my life....

I'll give you a tip, learn to cook, and learn to cook on the cheap. If you can stomach lentils, stock up on them, they're a good substitute for meat due to their protein levels. Can't remember how many lentil curries I made for dinner when I literally had less than a quid in the bank.

As for the challenge, I live in Northern Ireland, we don't exactly get much snow here either. It took about 50 yards worth of snow from the road outside our house if I recall....
Fair enough, I shall start my "Gordon Ramsey" Cooking exhibition...

Haha, I take you up on that challenge! Next time it snows...expect to see a thread on here, with a 10 foot snow penis! xD

Mar 9, 2010
Dectomax said:
I felt... shit I'm only 16. I so wish I was in your position, I've never had a room of my own and nothing round here's going so great. I can't fucking wait to just get out and live on my own schedule and not everyone else's. I'm worried about how I can't pay for any of it, especially since university costs will be in the £9000 area. Yeah, I'm up shit creak.
Student loan covers that and with the increased prices also comes the increased pay back price. You don't have to pay the loan back till your earning over £21,000 a year.

Oh thank fuck for that. You have just stopped my worries in their tracks, I was severely under informed about the whole thing and how student loans would be affected and all that jazz. There doesn't seem to be much in the way now... just getting the grades I want and then being accepted.

Good luck with the moving out plan, hope it goes good for you dude.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
It's not a very big deal. After a couple of weeks you'll get used to it. And don't forget the freedom you'll have! The only tip I can give you (I don't know how it works in your country) is to keep some money aside for the Municipality taxes when you get the bill.
Good luck and enjoy!!

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Don't go it alone, shack up with a friend! Then again if you're in the armed force you should be okay by yourself. Can't you get really cheap accomodation on the base with those guys?

[edit: holy crap you're 4 years younger than me and in a position where you could fight for our country. Thanks for weirding me the hell out and making me feel ancient, lol]

Tasachan

Jan 28, 2010
Learning to cook is also a good suggestion. Eating ready-made food, or take-out, gets very pricey. Also, make friends with someone at a grocery store. They always know when the sales are on, and where to get the best prices on food. :)

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
My mum said I could stay with her as long as I needed, but I moved out earlier this year and I'm 18. Mainly because my siblings were both moved out at this age and I didn't want to look too pathetic.
It's fun having your own space, but you'll have a lot of money problems unless you have a well paid job, or have a housemate or two. The person who lives with my boyfriend gets nearly £1,000 in benefits a month, and we still have money problems. I've had to ring my mum and ask for a little bit of money sometimes ;__;

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Dectomax said:

Oh thank fuck for that. You have just stopped my worries in their tracks, I was severely under informed about the whole thing and how student loans would be affected and all that jazz. There doesn't seem to be much in the way now... just getting the grades I want and then being accepted.

Good luck with the moving out plan, hope it goes good for you dude.
To the best of my knowledge, student loans are the same as ever. It's just tuition fee's are being raised. All other aspects are staying the same. ( Again, this is what I know. You'd need to Back it up with some research )

As for grades, aim for no less than 220 UCAS points. that's the minimum for a undergraduate degree. ( A good one atleast ).

If you need to have a chat about Uni or anything to do with that, feel free to PM me. Unlike moving out, I'm quite in the know about Uni education ( having applied last year and also visiting multiple campuses. )

:)

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
I'm at my first year at Uni (I'm 19) and still living at home. It's an hour's commute, so it's not inconvinient, but I'm ready to move out, possibly with a friend of mine. I'm gone after the next semester is done, either off to serve in the military for a year (mandatory) or move.

I'm not anxious about it. I'll get a student's loan and a scholarship which will cover the rent, plus something to live off. I am very much looking forward to it. It's not like my family is bothering me or anything, it's just that I feel that it is time for living on my own, ya know?

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Danzaivar said:
Don't go it alone, shack up with a friend! Then again if you're in the armed force you should be okay by yourself. Can't you get really cheap accomodation on the base with those guys?

[edit: holy crap you're 4 years younger than me and in a position where you could fight for our country. Thanks for weirding me the hell out and making me feel ancient, lol]
Yeah, there are some bonuses we get, yet if I was intending to stay in "Military accommodation" I would be moving a little to far away. There are still a few members of my family and friends that I'd like to stay close too.

As for weirding you out, there's younger lads than me that have passed out, couple of the lads have only just turned 17!

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I first moved out of my Fathers house at sixteen. I shared a place with my ex. for 3 1/2 years. I was not at all bothered by leaving my parents house.

I worked my fingers to the bone for what seemed like nothing but it was something I was proud of. Eventually all my savings was lost when my job went through some 'downsizing' and my ex. also laid claim to most of my funds, which is another story entirely. Because of those problems, I ended up moving back in the with my Father, who was not very pleased.I then moved out again as soon as I could, because my relationship with my Father when I live with him, is not the best.

I eventually got married, and we bought a house together. ^_^

It's hard, and it can be a very difficult transition, but it's entirely worth it to have your independence. To have something of your own. Living on your own, and taking care of yourself is an accomplishment as far as I am concerned. You'll be fine as long as you plan everything ahead. Planning is very important to this process. Also, be responsible with your money. Don't piddle it away and then wonder why you don't have the months rent. When some people first leave their parents house, they buy buy buy because they get pretty excited and want to decorate and have their own stuff.

Make the money stretch, and save, save, save, save, save, save. And also, save, save, save, save, save.

Look through the pennysaver,(or your areas equivalent), for old furniture in good condition. Go to thrift stores, for dented but usable furniture or appliances. You can also get things for free, if you look hard enough. Garage sales, etc. We were able to get some furniture for free, from friends who were re-decorating and didn't know what to do with it. (Also, have a house or apartment-warming. PEOPLE BRING GIFTS! Food,appliances, dishes, etc.Or they are supposed to.)

You'll probably become a penny-pinching scrooge for awhile, but, it helps.lol

(Also, cooking is easy. If you can follow a recipe, you can cook. Think of it like a strategy guide. Just don't try to make complicated dishes right away. Start small scrambled eggs, spaghetti, baked chicken, stir-fry, etc. Eventually you'll get better, and you'll feel more comfortable making more 'complicated' dishes =D)

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
I was lucky and had an easy transition. I made some friends at the college I was going to and moved in with one of my friends and his gf.

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
Dectomax said:

Ah, that's unfortunate. I'm not even allowed to move out until I finish uni (need money for school so I'm dependant). However, if you're looking for easy meals, anything pasta is easy. Any source of meat is pretty easy to cook on the grill if you try a bit of trial and error.