MTV Makes Us Sad

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
MTV Makes Us Sad

Video may have killed the radio star, but video did a good job of offing itself.

Read Full Article

Smeagol150

Emperor of the Moon
Oct 20, 2008
Samurai Jack and Batman: The Animated Series were the two best cartoons. Ever. Honestly, that's the main part I thought to repeat, mostly because I can't say that enough.

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
You know why G4 was a crushing disappointment to me? Because it took an arguably better channel, TechTV, wrapped its horrible tendrils around the poor thing, and then crushed the life out of everything that made it good.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
BIG O BIIIIGGGG OOOOHH BIG!

I still think comedy central is the worst. They keep giving shows to people who should not have shows because they don't have enough jokes. Or worse. The people with enough jokes but are so bad they have 3 or 4 canceled shows already.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
Dan, it's not Talk Soup. It used to be, bu now it's The Soup.

The shows current host always flips out on clips of people who use Talk Soup.

ghstbearx

Sep 22, 2009
Don't forget about MuchMusic/Fuse. An alternative music network spawned by the dislike of MTVs created pop culture and lack of actual music television... Which fell just as hard to the pop trends and reality programming. I noticed this past weekend it was "Bieber choice weekend" on Fuse... WTF Fuse... You were to bring balance to music television, not leave it in darkness.

The same trend goes with alternative rock stations on the radio. In the same year I lost two stations that decided that they wanted the money from the Top 40 format. How does it even help anyone when every station (well most of them) is playing the same exact thing? Yeah I know that I have my mp3 player to listen to whenever with whatever I want... But some diversity and the random interruptions from a talented DJ can make the difference that turns the mp3 player off.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Mmm, I remember when the midnight run introduced me to the .hack series.

And damnit I'm still hooked on it.

Well I'm 5 lines into the post so I think it's about time for a

BIIIIG OOOOOOOOOOO! SHOOOOOOOWTIME!

At least sharktapus is humorously weird.

Big O vs. Sharktapus?

One can dream.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
newdarkcloud said:
Dan, it's not Talk Soup. It used to be, bu now it's The Soup.

The shows current host always flips out on clips of people who use Talk Soup.
Oh no, I've spoiled the soup! Quick, put some salt in and maybe no one will notice!

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
I have to admit I feel a bit like crying. TV why must you die a slow painful death? Why must the lowest common denominator be worth so much god damn money? Ignorance is bliss I guess...networks keep lighting their money cigs and people keep not realizing that TV programming isn't good. No wonder people turn into cynical, reclusive, paranoid, atheists. The world keeps punishing you for defending sinking ships and not offering stuff to believe in. It's just sad.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Smeagol150 said:
Samurai Jack and Batman: The Animated Series were the two best cartoons. Ever. Honestly, that's the main part I thought to repeat, mostly because I can't say that enough.
Ooh, let's not forget MTV's Liquid Television and the proto-awesome Æon Flux. Not the crap "remake" sort-of-deal movie, but the original, real thing.

http://obscureinternet.com/wp-content/uploads/Aeon-Flux.jpg

<youtube=7UQyPXbjL-A>

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs7/PRE/i/2005/198/f/a/AEON_FLUX_by_the_tracer.jpg

jamesbrown

Apr 18, 2011
Adventurer2626 said:
I have to admit I feel a bit like crying. TV why must you die a slow painful death? Why must the lowest common denominator be worth so much god damn money? Ignorance is bliss I guess...networks keep lighting their money cigs and people keep not realizing that TV programming isn't good. No wonder people turn into cynical, reclusive, paranoid, atheists. The world keeps punishing you for defending sinking ships and not offering stuff to believe in. It's just sad.
Big Bugdet video games are going the same way...

All of the creative intellegence that went to Video games and television are now on the internet doing thier own thing without restrictions; plus you don't have to fill 20 min. it can be any length you want, thats really big for people who have an idea that can't be fleshed out too much; for examples look at the PC indie game market and some of the more professional youtube channels (also websites like the escapist as well as the escapist itslef)

Bill Nye the Zombie

Apr 27, 2012
Please don't remind me about Eureka and Warehouse 13. Those were, and are in Warehouse 13's case, two great shows that ended/will end to soon. And Eureka's ending felt like they were saying: "There's still stuff going on in the town you love, we're just too lazy to show you."

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Smeagol150 said:
Ooh, let's not forget MTV's Liquid Television and the proto-awesome Æon Flux. Not the crap "remake" sort-of-deal movie, but the original, real thing.

http://obscureinternet.com/wp-content/uploads/Aeon-Flux.jpg

<youtube=7UQyPXbjL-A>

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs7/PRE/i/2005/198/f/a/AEON_FLUX_by_the_tracer.jpg
You can still view all of the original dialogue free shorts on the website. Liquid TV was awesome! I also enjoyed The Maxx.

As a kid in the 80s I loved MTV, and I feel that kids and teens these days are really missing out on what was a great place to see some insane videos and discover all kinds of new artists. A much bigger loss than Sci-Fi (SyFy can kiss mah buns).

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Actually, Toonami was never "just" anime. Some of the first shows they had were the old Hanna-Barbera action shorts from the 70's and the old 30's Superman cartoons. Anime really didn't become a big part of Toonami until Gundam hit.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Huh, just stuck my receivers in the mail to return to DirecTV. Started watching shows on Netflix and realized that CNN wasn't really worth the $100 a month I was sending DirecTV for all the ads I could watch.

Hell, I think it'd be a bigger challenge for these guys to find a good channel rather than the worst.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Mumorpuger said:
Does anyone remember when "TLC" stood for "The Learning Channel?"

Seriously, what? Because when I think of TLC, I think of shitty reality shows. Which means I think of mid afternoon television.