Multiculturalism

Mittens The Kitten

Dec 19, 2010
If the world cultures naturally homogenize into one fairly consistent culture, would the world be the better for it.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
The idea of multiculturalism is more to do with cultures coexisting peacefully. Just one culture would be monoculturalism, which would be incredibly boring. Multiculturalism does the opposite of merging cultures together, it allows us to the thrive in the differing cultures of other people, allowing them to keep their values in coexistence with ours, and makes the world more interesting, IMO.

EDIT: Is monoculturalism a word? It just seemed logical to replace the "multi" with "mono", I have no idea if monoculturalism is actually a thing.

Mittens The Kitten

Dec 19, 2010
The thread is concerned with whether or not multiculturalism should remain the standard for global society, though I can see how you could feel that monoculturism would be a good title as well.

Wamble

Oct 18, 2011
you've got "Multiculturalism" mixed up with "Melting Pot". A Melting Pot approach where different cultures are melted together into a harmonious whole with a common culture. It is particularly used to describe the assimilation of immigrants to the United States.

in theory a Melting Pot approach would work. In practice though, it would most likely require world domination to achiever and heavy policing of information and speech in order to maintain.

Multiculturalism In a political context is a term used for a range of meanings, ranging from the advocacy of equal respect to the various cultures in a society, to a policy of promoting the maintenance of cultural diversity, to policies in which people of various ethnic and religious groups are addressed by the authorities as defined by the group they belong to.

In a vague way it is kind of what is already in place.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
"Multi" and "mono" mean different things. Monoculturalism and multiculturalism are not two different titles for the same thing.

My point was that multiculturalism does not "naturally homogenize into one fairly consistent culture" because multiculturalism does exactly the opposite. It promotes the idea of having radically different cultures, and opposes the idea of having one "consistent" culture.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Multiculturilism isn't really about homogenizing cultures into one big one, instead it's about letting all the different cultures around the world co-exist peacefully, by having a country be accepting of all of them rather than forcing one onto them.

Mischa87

Jun 28, 2011
I've always been a fan of multiculturalism myself, and being in Canada, we take a nice approach to it, it's like a culture-salad, made up of several different parts, making a whole, but each maintaining it's own individual flavor, whereas my neighbors to the south tend to have a cultural soup/stew approach to it, where everything is just thrown in haphazardly, and while it's made up of different cultures, it all tastes the same.

This isn't a dig against the Americans mind you, I just prefer to celebrate other cultures, and learn from them.

So, personally, I would think that mushing everything together would only make everything bland, and samish... also, I hate stew... it's even got "ew" right in the name... ^_^

Aug 20, 2011
I think national identities will probably be eliminated eventually and we'll be better for it, but I don't think people will ever stop dividing into groups.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
even IF we combine into one super culture people would still look for stuff to ***** about.