Multiplayer Games with Good Communities

EkajArmstro

Jan 29, 2009
Hi! I'm looking for a new multiplayer game of any genre to play that is good even when playing with/against "randoms". I would prefer suggestions that are playable on PC. What are some of your favorites?

For me my favorites were Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Starcraft 2, Halo 2, and The Lord of the Rings The Battle for Middle Earth 2 (that's a lot of 2s!) but I'm either sick of them or their communities are dead. Right now I'm pretty much only playing Counter Strike GO and Street Fighter 4.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The Battlefield 2 mods like Forgotten Hope 2 and Project Reality are quite nice although in PR if you dont have a mic you do have to put a lot of effort into it to get some help since constant communications are extremely important in that game (it makes sense to be somewhat put aside but if you make clear that you will follow the leader's orders you will be fine and well accepted)

Funnily enough I like the community of MTA:SA (GTA San Andreas Online basicly) on the Roleplay servers. A guy actually gave me a ride to work for example. I guess what fucked up the community in GTA V was the fact that the entry bar is set so low so any idiot can join and ruin everyone elses fun.

If its harder to get into a certain experience (either realistic shooter or sim life game) then who ever wants to get in shares that desire for that experience instead of just going in and playing the game the "wrong" way.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Demon's Souls has a nice community going on, probably and largely thanks to the fact there's no chatting and all interaction is funneled into scribbling cryptic messages on the ground for other players to read and assess. So far most of them have been either true, honest or pranky-but-well-meaning. Only a few are useful, but the point is, for the most part, other players come across as nice and well meaning.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Well, you know, I hear the Black Ops games have incredibly friendly communities, and the Modern Warfare games are even better. They're so kind, helpful, and totally do not troll or try to break the game at all. Oh yeah, and all those rumors about little kids yelling racist and homophobic slurs are just nonsense.

OK, all joking aside, I'm not sure of the state of Battlefield 2's community these days with BC2, BF3, and BF4 being out or are coming out soon. However, it had quite a good community when I used to play it. Some servers were absolute crap, but most of those were forced to close due to community pressure on the clan running them. At the very least, I'd imagine Project Reality is still running some excellent servers. You could also always look at the ArmA games, as I hear they have decent communities. Just don't go with the recent Battlefield games. They're not as bad as Call of Duty, but they have much to be desired as well.

Also, if you get into a good TF2 server, you should be able to have a decent experience. Haven't played it in a while, though, so I'm not sure how hard those servers are to find anymore.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I've had pretty consistently good experiences with the Red Dead Redemption online community. I play primarily free raom, and it's not unnatural for at least two people to join me and raid forts together.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
Red Orchestra 2 has a, for the most part, really chill community. The game itself is not too bad (I still prefer the first one tho).

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Demon's Souls has a nice community going on, probably and largely thanks to the fact there's no chatting and all interaction is funneled into scribbling cryptic messages on the ground for other players to read and assess. So far most of them have been either true, honest or pranky-but-well-meaning. Only a few are useful, but the point is, for the most part, other players come across as nice and well meaning.
I'm curious, are the Demon's Souls servers still up? I thought there was talk of them shutting down this year. I wanted to start Demon's Souls again after my PS3 hard drive got wiped last week (haven't been that pissed in years, all the hard work!). I might just give it a go again as the community was indeed a lot of fun. Not as many douchebags as in Dark Souls.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Blazblue CS Extend and Persona 4 Arena have really good communities. Maybe it's the cool anime design or the game mechanics not being broken I dunno but the feel of the online is really nice. I get frequent ggs and lobby invites and I've had a total of one rage message in an ArcSys game and it was because he was playing Elisabeth in P4A and I got my instakill on him.

Dude, it's Elisabeth. Please stop using Shuffle Time into Ziodyne for extra pressure. Anyone with a targeted or full screen instakill can and will get it off before the Ziodyne hits and the recovery for Ziodyne is ludicrously long.

I notice it more because I came out of a huge streak of UMVC3 and holy fuck is that community fuckin' shit. Everyone is so salty all the time and mash taunt and send chains of rage messages even when they win. X-Factor's existence is a scourge upon the entire online community as far as i'm concerned.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm curious, are the Demon's Souls servers still up? I thought there was talk of them shutting down this year. I wanted to start Demon's Souls again after my PS3 hard drive got wiped last week (haven't been that pissed in years, all the hard work!). I might just give it a go again as the community was indeed a lot of fun. Not as many douchebags as in Dark Souls.
Yeah it's still up and there was some petition to keep it going or something.

The online thing really enhances the experience of Demons Souls

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
MysticSlayer said:
Well, you know, I hear the Black Ops games have incredibly friendly communities, and the Modern Warfare games are even better. They're so kind, helpful, and totally do not troll or try to break the game at all. Oh yeah, and all those rumors about little kids yelling racist and homophobic slurs are just nonsense.
Is this sarcasm? Because I genuinely came onto this thread to say CoD. I know the stereotype is that it's full of 'little kids yelling racist and homophobic slurs' but in all my years playing I've never encountered that happening. Not once. In the few days I've been playing GTA online it's happened multiple times, and it happened on Far Cry 3 and Mass Effect 3 as well numerous times. In fact, it seems quite friendly and helpful the way people talk in team-based modes.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Well, GTA V is not recommended. I just went online for the first time, and I was instantly treated to a fight between some very rude, racist people. The things they said man....0.o

I would say there are a lot of good people on Steam. TF2 and LFD2 had pretty cool people playing most of the time. Occasionally you would get a troll in L4D, but I met some very cool people, and I don't regret sifting through the few bad ones.

Also, I was treated decently in SWTOR. Now, I KNOW this game is not for everyone, but I'm a huge fan of Star Wars lore, mostly before the Empire though. This game was right up my alley, it really is a sequel to KOTOR II. Not a true, sequel, but the mechanics are basically the same, you seem social enough to join flashpoints, guilds, whatever else I missed out on due to being antisocial. There are some decent story lines too, not great, but entertaining. Basically on the friendliness scale, I used to ask how to do things in chat (a lot of other people did too, whether they were lost, or they were new and needed to know how to perform a task) and while this happened quite often, only once did I receive a negative response. Which wasn't that bad, I asked for help on a low-level boss because I was tired and didn't feel like grinding the extra level, basically someone just said, "Oh please, he's not that hard n00b". Usually people are very helpful. I enjoyed me time there, I would still be playing if my computer would run it (why put a GPU in a CPU chip? that's asking for a fire hazard).

But those are my suggestions, and whilst on the topic of Star Wars, why has no force user ever just crushed their opponents focusing lens, crystal, or energy cell in a lightsaber battle?

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Tom_green_day said:
MysticSlayer said:
Is this sarcasm? Because I genuinely came onto this thread to say CoD. I know the stereotype is that it's full of 'little kids yelling racist and homophobic slurs' but in all my years playing I've never encountered that happening. Not once. In the few days I've been playing GTA online it's happened multiple times, and it happened on Far Cry 3 and Mass Effect 3 as well numerous times. In fact, it seems quite friendly and helpful the way people talk in team-based modes.
It is sarcasm, but I will say that the Call of Duty community gets more hate than it deserves. I have seen quite a bit of immaturity, and more than I've seen in a lot of other games (then again, I've played it a lot more than most games), but it generally is no worse than your average game that gets incredibly popular. People just like picking out the one or two kids they ran into and post it on YouTube, where it makes it look much more congested with those kids than it really is. I just decided to make a joke out of it. While I wouldn't say Call of Duty is the friendliest community around, it also is far from being the most hostile.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
GundamSentinel said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Apparently! They were scheduled to be shut down on 2011, and then again on 2012. Every time Atlus pushed the cut off date a little more. It's currently open-ended. Every time you log in there's a disclaimer saying the service can be pulled from under your feet any time, since the legal binding is technically over, but supposedly they'll keep 'em running as long as user activity remains steady.

Doomcat

Aug 25, 2010
(As an aside to the Demons Souls conversation going on above me, Dark souls community on PC seems kind of dickish :/ makes me wish I could play Demons souls and try it, but no PS3)

Anyway, for a good PC community, I've personally found that Guns of Icarus Online has a very VERY nice community for an online game. There are of course, still going to be THOSE people, but I haven't ran into them as much. Players seem to be fairly understanding if you screw up, and, even though the game runs tournaments and matches DOTA-style, I've never had someone go berserk and tell me how much I suck.

Of course, people will try and help you, which can actually feel fairly condescending...but when someone tries to help you (as apposed to say, LoL or DOTA) they make the attempt to say "Well, this isn't bad buuut...this might work better next time, maybe you should try it?" which, honestly, does make all the difference to me.

Take from it what you will, if you decide to pick up GoI, I recommend you have a mic, its a game that requires intense teamwork and communication, though the mic isn't nessisarily required.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
EkajArmstro said:
Hi! I'm looking for a new multiplayer game of any genre to play that is good even when playing with/against "randoms". I would prefer suggestions that are playable on PC. What are some of your favorites?

For me my favorites were Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Starcraft 2, Halo 2, and The Lord of the Rings The Battle for Middle Earth 2 (that's a lot of 2s!) but I'm either sick of them or their communities are dead. Right now I'm pretty much only playing Counter Strike GO and Street Fighter 4.
If you play on steam Pm me your steam ID, we can try playing some Vegas 2 online. I've got it for the ps3 and played it for ages but I'd be more than happy to pick it up on the Pc if you're up for it.

OT: depending on what server you're on, I've met some pretty great people in DC Universe Online. I don't play too much online sadly anymore. You may want to try out some mods of Half-life. Some of them have pretty good online communities (trouble in terrorist town, zombie master) but it has been a while since I've played online in any of those so I can't say for sure.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
MysticSlayer said:
It is sarcasm, but I will say that the Call of Duty community gets more hate than it deserves. I have seen quite a bit of immaturity, and more than I've seen in a lot of other games (then again, I've played it a lot more than most games), but it generally is no worse than your average game that gets incredibly popular. People just like picking out the one or two kids they ran into and post it on YouTube, where it makes it look much more congested with those kids than it really is. I just decided to make a joke out of it. While I wouldn't say Call of Duty is the friendliest community around, it also is far from being the most hostile.
Is that a rational and level response? Get the fuck out of here.
The Last Of Us Factions multiplayer thing had quite a few friendly people actually, teamwork was very important and people talked together to work stuff out in it.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Haven and Hearth's community is a nice, friendly bunch of people.

And seeing as how this is an MMORPG with a constantly-changing world, no moderation, and perma-death, everyone's just trying to make things comfortable for everyone else.

Mostly.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Killing Floor. Most people are pretty friendly if not a bit odd. Mic users are rare, but that's ok. You will occasionally run into a few assholes and that seems to happen whenever they also are running the server.