Multiplayer gaming... sigh

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Do you think there are some of us who will just never be very good at multiplayer gaming, no matter how much we practice?

Be it Street Fighter, Halo, COD, or sports titles... any time I am up against humans I seem to lack a natural ability that most people have.

Let's take 2 examples.

1. I can spend a whole week practicing Street Fighter 2/ Street Fighter 4, learning all the moves and counters, then get my ass handed to me by my button mashing non gamer buddies.

'Goddamn it, I spent all week practicing my Hadoukens for this??'

2. I started online gaming last year and got quickly addicted to COD4. I was of course terrible at the start, but after 9 days logged into the game I had improved to the point where I could place first in about 2 of every 10-15 games if I played carefully and cautiously, but it's nigh on impossible for me to do consistently well.

I seemed to hit a peak of 'average', and to even maintain that low peak I had to play 6-10 hours a week on the same game, which, let's be fair, is kind of a waste of time just to get some frags.

'Maybe if I hide behind this fridge he won't see me!

But then you see people who play these games maybe one hour a week pick it up and just annihilate everyone, their 'killer instinct' and reflexes just seem so much more tuned and faster.

It's been the same since I was a little fella getting my ass kicked in Mortal Kombat by all my buddies.... now I'm 30 and I think it's getting worse :D

So... (without this turning in a dick waving contest please, no-one wants to hear how you went 64-2 on Karachi using the F2000) which kind of gamer are you?

Are you the type who no matter how hard you try, cannot get really good at 'pwning noobs'?

Or are you naturally gifted, finding it easy to just casually mangle anyone in your way?

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I'm the one who usually takes time to learn a game. Once I have figured out all of the subtle nuances of a particular game, I can usually hold my own fairly well against others. However, I tend to excel at tactical/realistic FPS games moreso than other types of FPSs.

Enemy Of The State

May 31, 2010
I'm the kind of player who (in FPS) often finishes a couple of kills above or below my deaths. Occasionally I'll play uncharacteristically well and finish in excess of +10 K/D Spread.

Eddikins

Jul 1, 2010
lololo when i used to go to my friends house and play halo id always be the person that got killed countless times and not be able to kill anyone on the opposite team.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Enemy Of The State said:
I'm the kind of player who (in FPS) often finishes a couple of kills above or below my deaths. Occasionally I'll play uncharacteristically well and finish in excess of +10 K/D Spread.
Sounds pretty much exactly like me. How often to you play?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
tsb247 said:
I'm the one who usually takes time to learn a game. Once I have figured out all of the subtle nuances of a particular game, I can usually hold my own fairly well against others. However, I tend to excel at tactical/realistic FPS games moreso than other types of FPSs.
I try to do the same, like in COD learning which walls can be shot through, learning where the campers hide on the maps, learning how to counter certain tactics, watching youtube vids by god players.... still, with all of that knowledge it's still hard to compete. Even more so in MW2.

Halo... I'm just hilariously shitty at. It takes more skill and less luck to win a face to face encounter in Halo than COD and I'm just terrible at it.

Jul 22, 2009
I can normally pick a game up really quickly and if I play nothing else I master it within a few weeks.

Except fighting games... I cannot get to grips with them.

Enemy Of The State

May 31, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Enemy Of The State said:
A couple of hours a day now, because of the school holidays. You?

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
I think overall I'm naturally average. I'm not absolutely great at anything while still being able to hold my own against better opponents.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I can become really good at something. I remember completely rocking in Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike: Source (to the point where I could play some maps blind and play relatively well) and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

But that was before I gained the ability to steadily increase my gaming collection. I had very little money to spend and thus had only a few games to play and focus upon.

Now that's all different, and it's the reason why I don't excel at anything nowadays. I switch between a bazillion games all the time and have dozens of control schemes in my head.

A few months ago I was really focussed on Bad Company 2 and Sniper in TF2 and I became pretty damn badass at it. But then I discovered some other games and spread my time again, and as a result I'm only a mediocre player now in both games.

It also depends on the genre. It seems that I just cannot get any good at RTS games nowadays, but FPS/TPS games I pick up naturally. For RTS games it doesn't help either that matchmaking either sucks (I'm looking at you DoW2) or I just can't find a good game with people who can help me.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Enemy Of The State said:
This.

Most of the time it's me doing averagely well on MW2 and then some douchebag 20 year old chavs going "aww yeah, your shit!" Then I'm like "Come back when you know how to actually cock an M16."

After I lost my train of thought I do well only on TF2 as a Heavy. Mainly cause it's fun spraying hot lead all over the place.

SnakeF

Apr 25, 2009
I'm about average, I sometimes can do brilliantly in games but most of the time I'm pretty pathetic. The one exception to the rule is Soldier in TF2 where I can pretty much destroy anyone.

Apr 19, 2010
It was always fun playing Halo with friends, because it's always fun to get to the point where you can just mess around and still win.
With everything else though I'm pretty average (I think never really tried comparing myself to others.)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Enemy Of The State said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Enemy Of The State said:
It depends, sometimes I won't play for weeks at a time (and I'll be awful when I go back) and then other weeks I'll play for 10-15 hours per week and eventually end up... average!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
I
Now that's all different, and it's the reason why I don't excel at anything nowadays. I switch between a bazillion games all the time and have dozens of control schemes in my head.

This is definately something that screws with me, even if I play Bioshock for just one night, my muscle memory will be all cocked up when I go back to COD and I'll be horrid at it.

Enemy Of The State

May 31, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Enemy Of The State said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Enemy Of The State said:
It depends, sometimes I won't play for weeks at a time (and I'll be awful when I go back) and then other weeks I'll play for 10-15 hours per week and eventually end up... average!
I'm just average by default.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
I used to be a member of a lan-party organisation, we had about 40 members and loads of visitors, we played all kinds of fps games and more. I never was any good in any of them. I was average/bad in counterstrike. Quake was okay, but WW2 games like battlefield, CoD or MoH i would never get above average. Unreal tournament 2k4 i was better then average but a mate of mine could still dominate me. Only thing i was really good at was playing the alien in AVP or cutting people down with lightsabers in a jedi knight series game (outcast/academy)
Some people really do have the badass reflexes that make them good in almost any fps game, but i am not among them.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I am not very good at any games besides FPS, and even them I am perhaps only 'above average' at, depending on what particular FPS game it is.

I also don't really care!!!

I play games to have fun, I like a *bit* of a challenge but I don't care enough and I even don't play enough to master anything. I also very rarely play multiplayer, and when I do I am not competitive at all and I don't care if I come first or sixth, as long as I am not getting totally owned and getting some kills in and having fun I'm happy.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
The only kind of games I'm actually good at online are FPS games (CoD, Halo, Battlefield etc) any other game I play online like fighting games for example I'll get my ass handed to me. I remember playing Soul Calibur 4 online once and got my ass kicked by some twat just repeat spamming Cervantes' teleport moves. That's something I hate about fighting games you could spend hours learning the combos go online and get beat someone just sitting there headbutting their pad.

Codenet

Jan 4, 2009
I think i have become better at picking a game up and knowing what to do straight away after being a gamer a while now. I use to suck really bad at most shooters, like CSS or Goldeneye, but i have gradually grow better over time to the point where i can go over the one of my non gamer's friends house and rock up all of my mates on the 360 while playing MW2, being a PC oriented gamer.

Now My gaming ability is more like instinct than anything else, one of my main traits (which a couple of my friends have pointed out) is my ability to not die and get out of some awkward situations(or bring ability to GTFO as they put it) or my massive out of nowhere adrenaline rushes where i kill about 4-5 attackers in 6 seconds then suck for the rest of the game, but i still rank myself as a pretty average game.