Multiplayer in Europa Universalis 4 Is Actually Fun

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Of the 320 hours I've spent playing Eu3, not a single one has been in multiplayer, for the simple reason that I've never been able to get it to work. So if they've fixed up the netcode and have proper steam integration then I'm actually pretty excited about getting to stab some friends in the back :D

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
All sounds great.

I just really, really, really wish they didn't use Steam. It makes me sad to see Paradox go that route.

I hope they'll release a good version like they did with CK2 where I can decide what patch version I want to play. Steam sucks like that.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
I hope the multiplayer focus doesn't take over. I've been disliking Paradox games from EUIII until Crusader Kings II, and I forget when Victoria II came onto the stage but the vanilla version of that was utter garbage. I sadly wont be buying this until it's massively discounted owing to previous experiences. :/

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
This looks like the only thing that could tear me away from Crusader Kings II (another paradox title).

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Hmmm... this sounds rather interesting... I might have to check it out when that portion of the year comes around.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
You know, this is why I like the Escapist. Clicking a link and read an article and now I have another game I want to get into. I'll wait a bit to see how it turns out but if it is easy enough to pick up after a little work and is fun enough with random multiplayer... I might just get this game.

Bill Nye the Zombie

Apr 27, 2012
Bostur said:
And now I'm hoping for a Vicky 3, because I really dig that time period and the mechanics of that game.
They have a new expansion coming out sometime soon, according to their website. It's called Heart of Darkness, and apparently focuses on Navies, African colonization, and newspapers.

My only worry is that I never really thought any of the previous games lent themselves well to multiplayer, unless it was between people you know. So I hope this turns out well for them.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Wow. I'd actually been wanting to get back into RTSs and strategy games in general for a while, and this looks to be my metaphorical golden ticket.

Might keep more tabs on this game. Looks interesting.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
halfeclipse said:
dyre said:
I'm still trying to summon the courage to try any of Paradox's singleplayer games. I'm surprised they're actually fast-paced enough for multiplayer.
What paradox games don't have in twitch they make up for in sheer stuff to do. When you're managing international relations, stepping on rebels, deal with research, colonize here and there, influencing pop growth, dealing with your military, dealing with the economy, directing research and etc, it manages to fill up time rather nicely and with enough variety to keep you from going nuts, and if things hit a lull, crank the speed up to four or five for a bit.

Wouldn't suggest doing more then 2-3 players, unless it's over LAN though.
i completely agree. at some points i even had to pause the game to catch up. I play Paradox games for simgleplayer and doubltful ill even try theri MP, but at least they are trying something new i guess.

Wow. I'd actually been wanting to get back into RTSs and strategy games in general for a while, and this looks to be my metaphorical golden ticket.
What did you play before? because Paradox games make Total war feel the same "mainstream dumb mode" as Total war makes Civilization feel. Paradox is the hardcore when it comes to RTS. its not for everyone.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Strazdas said:
What did you play before? because Paradox games make Total war feel the same "mainstream dumb mode" as Total war makes Civilization feel. Paradox is the hardcore when it comes to RTS. its not for everyone.
That said, I play Paradox, Total War, and Civilization and none could really be called "casual". Just different flavours of strategy. Though Paradox games are the least accessible of the three.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
MammothBlade said:
Strazdas said:
That said, I play Paradox, Total War, and Civilization and none could really be called "casual". Just different flavours of strategy. Though Paradox games are the least accessible of the three.
I play all 3 of them as well. Merely i was pointing out that if she was playing, say, Civilization 4 or C&C, jumping into a Paradox game after a break may not be a best start.

lordjiggly

Aug 8, 2011
Strazdas said:
MammothBlade said:
Strazdas said:
I play all 3 of them as well. Merely i was pointing out that if she was playing, say, Civilization 4 or C&C, jumping into a Paradox game after a break may not be a best start.
I also play all 3 of them. I love the Paradox games, but the problem they have is that the tutorial really sucks. When i read a guide of Total War or Civ is because i want to know the best strategy possible.

But when i read a guide of a Paradox game is because i want to know HOW TO PLAY THE GAME. They are not difficult, they are not "hardcore". They I just are poorly explained.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
It took me a long time to get into Europa Universalis 3. I kept hearing how complicated it was. Bullcrap! It took me about 2 hours to figure out what was what, even with the dodgy tutorial. The game is far from "complicated", and even though it is complex, there's not that much scrolling in spreadsheets as you'd expect. It's more about gathering a bit of experience with behemoths like Spain and never trying to accomplish TOO much. I for one decided against conquering territories, but I made vassals of almost everything I could get my hands on. I broke up nations one at a time, then liberated them and made them vassals. This simple tactic pays a lot in the long run. Keeping inflation down is also a huge tip for beginners.
After a short while I came to see the game's shortcomings, but the interface was never one of them. Trade was... but then again I was a mercantilist nation so I didn't give a damn. Fortunately a few well-placed cheats got the game going in the right direction and a few days later I decided that EU3 was the best strategy game ever. I can't wait for EU4... considering how awesome Victoria 2 and Crusader Kings are, I hope some of the ideas make into EU4. I also hope that the battles become more involving, such as deciding battle formations.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
lordjiggly said:
Strazdas said:
MammothBlade said:
Strazdas said:
I also play all 3 of them. I love the Paradox games, but the problem they have is that the tutorial really sucks. When i read a guide of Total War or Civ is because i want to know the best strategy possible.

But when i read a guide of a Paradox game is because i want to know HOW TO PLAY THE GAME. They are not difficult, they are not "hardcore". They I just are poorly explained.
i help out on the forums of HOI3, and to be fair the tutorial for HOI3 would take 6 months to write up and you still would only pass 25% of it on.

their are people that have played it for years and you think they know everything that there is to know, that still are surprised.

some of its down to shity tutorials, but i don't know how you can teach it, maybe they need to get surray to make videos and link them into the game, as most people refuse to do all the VIC2 tutorials for example

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
Of the 320 hours I've spent playing Eu3, not a single one has been in multiplayer, for the simple reason that I've never been able to get it to work. So if they've fixed up the netcode and have proper steam integration then I'm actually pretty excited about getting to stab some friends in the back :D
THIS. DEAR LORD THIS.

I'd hoped that CK2 would have improved the MP, but nope! What the hell Paradox!

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
lordjiggly said:
Strazdas said:
MammothBlade said:
Strazdas said:

If you think Paradox games are not complex then you simply dont micromanage. Tutorials for such games are hard, because there is so many things. its like writting a tutorial for.... actually i ran out of ideas to compare. strange. well its so complex and dependant on situation you neeed to pretty much play whole game thoughm ultiple times. and you can do that without tutorial and there is that. i do agree that current tutorials are poor. at first i was like "WTF" you havent even explained half the buttons. had a few bad matches, learn stuff the hard way, now loving the game. yeah, try being soviets in HOI and start 5 wars at the begining of game. see how well you do :p (those damn rebels will eat your economy).
Well you played paradox games so you should have no problem joniing them again. in this case my original comment was unnecessary. have fun. thats the most improtant part.

oliver.begg said:
i help out on the forums of HOI3, and to be fair the tutorial for HOI3 would take 6 months to write up and you still would only pass 25% of it on.
you know i go around telling people that the best gaming community ever is that of paradox players, you do simply amazing job on those forums.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
oliver.begg said:
you know i go around telling people that the best gaming community ever is that of paradox players, you do simply amazing job on those forums.
Sarcasm?

i was involved in there OT and know a couple of demi-mods, and the rules are... rather strict, the servers are in Sweden, no first amendment here bitches, so obey or STFU and PRTFO

i was simply pointing out that the tutorials are rather shit yes, but anything better is almost a game in itself.

have you seen the bloody wiki for HOI3? its crazy stupid, and the bots getting it locked down haven't helped things either.

if you have played the games, try and explain the features to a new player, the cliffs at least as steep as the economics of the X3 games (basically Eve lite, single player)

the ideas that PS2 and tribes brought in of using YT and commentators to explain by showing are the way it needs to go.

you can't really direct people in any grand strategy game, it becomes TLDR very very quickly

Davisx3m

Mar 29, 2011
Smiley Face said:
A lot of this sounds like what I went through back when I used to play Diplomacy. Talk with everyone, and if someone leaves a big enough opening, blitz them for all you're worth.
I recommend you trying Crusader Kings 2 first, it's more casual, but alot of fun!
Not only a strategy game but a Strategy RPG.

Me and 3 friends are playing a game where we are all 4 muslim rulers in Saudi-Arabia,
we wanted to create the Kingdom of Arabia, but something went wrong..

One of my vassals (A human player)created a duchy for him own, making him leave my realm!
This was a stick in the wheel for our plans! And after that I heard one my my other vassals (also human)
typing on his keyboard (We were talking in Skype at the same time) I knew he was scheming against me!
He and the other one had plans! So I put him in jail and removed all of his titles. That forced him to seek exile
at the other human player who abandoned me.

While they were trying to survive, me and the third player, who was still loyal to me tried to expand.
And so we did, but not in Arabia, we went for the jews in Ethiopia! And we got it, thereafter we expanded to Nubia.
And guess what, I managed to create the Sultante of Nubia! Joy to the world!
After that everything went right! I took over Somalia, creating the Sultanate of Ifid, I conquered Ethiopia, becoming
Sultan of Ethiopia too!

Now the guy I send to jail, or rather his sons son or something like that approched me.
He knew I was growing larger and more powerful! He wanted to betray the guy who betrayed me!
After consulting my human friend we decided to agree with his demands. (He wanted northern Saudi Arabia)

So when that happened the first guy who left me was alone. I asked him to join my nation, but he said no.
But after a few decades he approched me, said he would join me if I gave him Oman, I agreed.
So here we are, not even half way into the game, I am ruler of Ethiopia, Ibid, Nubia & Arabia!

Our next goal was quite hard, to the Northeast we had the great Persian empire, and to the northeast the great Egyptian Sultanate. We wanted the rest of Arabia, so we declared a holy war (We are sunnis, they are shia) against Egypt while they were at war with the Persians! It all went well... Until they got a peace-treaty with Persia! We saw thousands of Egyptians marching towards us!

The first battle was horrible, we lost 24% warscore and we thought the war was lost!
But we recruited more holy warriors and mercenaries, and luckely Egypt decided to split his troops! And we
managed to retake Media, Mecca & the rest of the provinces we wanted, giving us 100% warscore! We accepted!

And here we are now! Our next goal is to take out all of Egypt! We need to create an empire!
A Sultanate is not enough!

I hope this post might inspire you to try it out! :)