Multiplayer Paint-Squid Game Splatoon Coming in May 2015

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Multiplayer Paint-Squid Game Splatoon Coming in May 2015

Nintendo gives more details about the part-squid, part-paintball game, Splatoon.

Splatoon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/splatoon], Nintendo's ink shooter with cute squids, will launch in North America this May on Wii U, the company announced during today's Nintendo Direct. The company's third-person shooter was first revealed at E3 2014.

Today Nintendo showed off a central hub for Splatoon where players can interact with other players' avatars and buy equipment. Players earn in-game currency from playing multiplayer matches, which are four-versus-four, where players can spray the ground with ink. Players can quickly swim through their own ink but will tread slowly through enemy ink. The team with the most of their color's ink covering the map wins.

Players will have one main weapon, one sub weapon, and one special weapon. Using the in-game currency earned from multiplayer matches, players can buy a set of weapons, containing a main, sub, and special weapon. The main weapon will most likely see the most use over a match, while sub weapons are designed to set up obstacles and make it more challenging for enemies to navigate. Special weapons can only be used a certain number of times per match.

Also in the central hub are shops for clothing. This allows players not only to customize their inkling's appearance, but it also applies stats to the character as each item will have its own set of buffs.

Splatoon has a four-on-four multiplayer mode and a single-player mode. The Wii U game launches in stores and on the eShop this May.

Source: Splatoon [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6zgkp1YBRw]

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I'm really looking forward to this game!
Haven't seen the new Direct yet, but will in a few hours after football training is done with.
I'm hoping for a solid fun shooter to play with the friends here from the Escapist user group :D ("WiiU Online Multiplayer" if someone is interested)

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I'm really looking forward to this. I just hope beyond hope that the motion controls used in the E3 2014 build aren't mandatory. I'll give them a try, sure, but I think I'd want to stick with using the control sticks since that is what I'm used to. Also I don't like when cosmetic items have stat upgrades since this leads to what I call "World of Warcraft Syndrome" where you pick all the equipment for the stats and your character looks like a clown. If there will be stats tied to equipment I think they should let us choose which stat buff we want. That way you can coordinate a decent looking outfit without looking like a fashion victim.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Good times; this looks like the antidote so many self-important "serious" shooters need to remove the stick from their ass. Spring seems like an appropriate time what with the game's very squirt-gun atmosphere.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Still excited about this. And the characters are called "inklings"? That's clever and adorable.

T-Shirt Turtle said:
Also I don't like when cosmetic items have stat upgrades since this leads to what I call "World of Warcraft Syndrome" where you pick all the equipment for the stats and your character looks like a clown.
As opposed to games like Team Fortress 2 where the items are purely cosmetic but everyone looks like a clown anyway because gamers have no taste.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
God this game is so cute XD I love all the artwork that's already out there.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Steve the Pocket said:
T-Shirt Turtle said:
Also I don't like when cosmetic items have stat upgrades since this leads to what I call "World of Warcraft Syndrome" where you pick all the equipment for the stats and your character looks like a clown.
As opposed to games like Team Fortress 2 where the items are purely cosmetic but everyone looks like a clown anyway because gamers have no taste.
Ugh, Team Fortress 2. I love it and all of its cosmetics (I'm a sucker for character appearance customization) but the tastes of some players in that game is atrocious. What kind of Demoman would run around in green stunner shades, a mohawk, and a kilt? Or Snipers wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a snow hood with an owl perched on their shoulder? I know the game is suppose to be ridiculous but come on.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Its not often you get to see a game thats totally overrated before it comes out get talked up by people in real time.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Cannot wait. I want to see trailers of more multiplayer modes thought, there is a lot of ways to have unique multiplayer experience: Such as painting a maze and whoever gets to the center with his ink path back to the exit intact wins.

Carts, Wheels, Characters and Flyers also offer bonuses in MK8 - but you don't see the same roster every online match. I'd be more worried about weapons since those are difficult to balance for a new shooter franchise.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
T-Shirt Turtle said:
Steve the Pocket said:
T-Shirt Turtle said:
Ugh, Team Fortress 2. I love it and all of its cosmetics (I'm a sucker for character appearance customization) but the tastes of some players in that game is atrocious. What kind of Demoman would run around in green stunner shades, a mohawk, and a kilt? Or Snipers wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a snow hood with an owl perched on their shoulder? I know the game is suppose to be ridiculous but come on.
I feel like I'm the only Medic who got a matching beak to go with my Grimme Hatte ;-(

OT: Oh cool it has a singleplayer, this might be the game to get me to try and fiddle with the whole Wii U online business. So far me and it just glare at each over from across the game pad.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Oh damn, I completely forgot there was a Direct. First direct I've missed in a long time.

Anyways, I'm so hyped for this game, I can't even put it into words. But all my comments I come up end up being dirty so I better stop here.