Multiplayer Rules of Engagement

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
vrbtny said:
General Twinkletoes said:
If two cloaked spies bump into each other in TF2, you do not acknowledge them presence, try and follow them, or give them away. You just keep on going as if it never happened. I don't even know how this rule even came about, but pretty much nobody ever breaks it. It's just part of the unwritten code of TF2 :D
err....what servers are you playing on? All the ones i play on when i play spy, when two spies bump into eachother, it is common courtesy for the two of them to run wildly around each other in ever decreasing circles, trying to hide their backs, and shooting at eachother's heads with the ambassador.

It is highly amusing to watch.
Really? I've only seen someone do that a few times, and I played a lot of spy, on many different servers. Even on the really shitty Pay2Win servers with people screaming at you over the mic, the spies still ignored each other.

Maybe I'm just really lucky *shrugs*

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
vrbtny said:
If two cloaked spies bump into each other in TF2, you do not acknowledge them presence, try and follow them, or give them away. You just keep on going as if it never happened. I don't even know how this rule even came about, but pretty much nobody ever breaks it. It's just part of the unwritten code of TF2 :D
err....what servers are you playing on? All the ones i play on when i play spy, when two spies bump into eachother, it is common courtesy for the two of them to run wildly around each other in ever decreasing circles, trying to hide their backs, and shooting at eachother's heads with the ambassador.

Really? I've only seen someone do that a few times, and I played a lot of spy, on many different servers. Even on the really shitty Pay2Win servers with people screaming at you over the mic, the spies still ignored each other.

Well I guess i only really play spy on Lotus servers, and they are really friendly and loads of regulars, so the rules of Engagement are a little different I guess.

Souleks

Jan 17, 2009
vrbtny said:
vrbtny said:

Well I guess i only really play spy on Lotus servers, and they are really friendly and lo
ads of regulars, so the rules of Engagement are a little different I guess.
Why would you ever play on Lotus servers?
the players there are almost as bad as nightteam.

Personally I most things honorably like in fighters I will just sit in the corner taunting if they are afk or pausing a Dota 2 match if someone disconnects. I usually only do cheap shit if I am terrible/new at the game and I need to take every opportunity I can get.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
I am so tempted to just say 'Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.', but just that would be a low-content post, and we can't have that, can we.

jpenning

Jun 23, 2012
If the invader is kind enough to bow and chooses to combat me in an open and enemy free area then I am more than happy to follow the "Rule of Duel".

If they are pure darkside "also known as asshole" then I will happily pull out the Wrath of God miracle and spam them to death.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
vrbtny said:

As a personal experience, General Twinkletoes' rule applies when they are both cloaked (invisible). Your rule usually applies when they're disguised but still visible

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Souleks said:
vrbtny said:
vrbtny said:

Well I guess i only really play spy on Lotus servers, and they are really friendly and lo
ads of regulars, so the rules of Engagement are a little different I guess.
Why would you ever play on Lotus servers?
the players there are almost as bad as nightteam.

Personally I most things honorably like in fighters I will just sit in the corner taunting if they are afk or pausing a Dota 2 match if someone disconnects. I usually only do cheap shit if I am terrible/new at the game and I need to take every opportunity I can get.
I have no idea who nightteam are, but Lotus servers aren't that bad. I only really play 2fort uk and the french dustbowl one. The uk one has loads of great regulars who are always chatty, I dunno. I have fun.

If you could recommend some good servers, I'll give them a go. I just don't experiment much.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Hmm I remember CS 1.6 having some kind of thing where if there was only 1 player left on each team, and one of the players knifed the wall so the other could hear him, the other would knife back agreeing to a knife duel of sorts. I don't know if this was just on the servers I frequented though X3.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
disgruntledgamer said:
machblast said:
disgruntledgamer said:
There are no Rules of Engagement in Dark/ Demon Souls When someone bows that's just a free BS.
Yeah this, it can be fun and polite and everything (I was completely into the whole 'bow politely and duel thing' when I played and platinumed Demon's Souls) but it's not required.

In Dark Souls I went full asshole because it felt so fulfilling.
Bowing means absolutely nothing, I've seen someone bow and than pull a TWoD glitch and bow again.

Bowing means nothing.
Bowing isnt enough, its the whole combat.

I once was playing with a friend in Dark Souls and got invaded, we waited for the guy and when he showed up he pointed to the side so I told my friend to just watch the battle. After the gestures we both fought and I ended up winning. The guy latter on sended me a message saying "gg", it felt good.

Another time I was playing alone and got invaded while fighting with some creatures, he spawned right next to me but instead of attacking he waited for me to kill everything, then he did the gesture and we fought.

There is some decency out there and its nice to see it once in a while

Jan 27, 2011
Paintball (not a video, game, I know, but still!): If you catch a guy unaware at point blank range, yell "FREEZE!" and do not fire. If he tries to pull a fast one on you, THEN you can shoot. Why do this? Because point blank paintballs freaking HURT. I took one to the back from within 5 feet the time I played this summer. I was rolling on the ground yelping for a good 20 seconds, and was left with a freaking bruise. NOT FUN. So please, yell freeze!

Starcraft: There is a full 5-8 seconds at the start of a match where you can't do anything. Take that time to say "GLHF" (Good Luck, Have Fun!).

Shooters: Thou shalt not teabag. Not only is it rude, but it makes you look stupid. And Gives me an extra 2 seconds to line up my shot on you if I catch you doing it.

Gears of war 2: Do not keep the enemy alive at the end of the match by letting him revive from his downed state, just to down him again and continue the cycle while moving back and forth in front of the downed enemy. (A team did that to me once. It dragged out a forgone victory by an extra 2 minutes. >_>)

Yugioh (or any other TCG, when done in person): You let the other person cut your deck. It's apparently one of the unwritten social rules for it.

jpenning

Jun 23, 2012
aegix drakan said:
Yugioh (or any other TCG, when done in person): You let the other person cut your deck. It's apparently one of the unwritten social rules for it.
It's required for a tournament in most cases. Your opponent can decline to cut though.

NinjazInside

Apr 12, 2011
My personal code on FPS games, Do not Teabag. Do you know how annoying it is when you are going 22 kills by yourself and the enemy team has around 10 and then one Teabags you usually the worst performing member of the team. That guy opens himself up to ridicule from me, usually homosexual jokes.

As well as this i have my own rule on weapons and strategies. Camping while annoying can easily be defeated by avoiding the enemy but normally people don't and usually they will get bored of waiting. All weapons are free and okay to use, they wouldn't be in the game otherwise. In Strategy games, usually i'd hope to either have some indication you are coming to attack me, usually i will have a declaration of war ready a while before and they will either respond or if they don't after a respectable amount of time and i can't see them mobilising. I'll invade and put them out of their misery or atleast annihalate their military for their incompetence but allow them to rebuild.

But most games there are no rules, except the one rule which i find rarely broken. DON'T BE A SORE LOSER, Sending messages cussing at the fact that it had to be hacks or lag and the forbidden 1v1 me then we will prove who is best thing, I have once accepted that and utterly destroyed them. Hateful messages because of losing a game are sad, fair enough getting a little frustrated but hate messages are just wrong.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
Rule #1: There are no rules. Unless you are playing Halo and are assassinating somebody. Then you don't kill the victim. Unless I'm doing badly and need the kills.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I have no sense of honor in multiplayer games. I'll admit that the whole honorable duel thing is fun, but generally, if it's hostile, I kill it using any advantage I can get my hands on.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I basically have no rules except if someone is clearly having controller issues or is AFK in a fighting game I will leave them alone for a while just to give them a chance.

Otherwise fuck it. A weird one is lagging people is LoL, I will usually take the kill but feel bad about it since LoL is the type of game where you really should not turn down free kills.

It's not even getting greedy in that situation, it's just autoattacking your lane opponent while they wander around aimlessly. It's worse when they AFK tower dive you. So, so bad.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Twelvesky (mainly 2) had some of these.
You don't interrupt a duel
You don't kill low levels trying to grind when you invade a town unless they try to attack you
Bowing to an enemy signals that you want to ally, bowing back is acceptance
You don't hold Dragonfall if your faction can't take it. You may however, help another faction take it. (Dragonfall is a capture point style PvP area that opens every three hours or so, you can't take it again if you already had it)
Theres more but I haven't played in years so I can't remember.

Breaking these rules will have you labeled as a 'dick' and if it's bad enough you will find yourself targeted by enemy factions and not helped by your own.

In LoL trying to be honourable will cost you the match though, it's a bit of a brutal game in that regard, if someone DCs then you don't wait for them, you charge.
It's also common for people who think they've won and there's nothing you can do to prevent that to all suicide in your base rather then take the last few hits on your nexus, I've won a lot of lost games through the enemies cockiness coming at a time when myself or a teammate can afford a new item and it being enough to stop them from being able to finish you off.
You will be laughed at and declared an idiot for saying "1v1 me noob" if you're a character who is designed to fight 1v1, if you suck at picking fights properly then that isn't my problem.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
I have no rules I will win no matter the cost becuase winning is fun camping is a valid tatic

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
My multiplayer honor rules are fairly simple.

#1: Fight fair. I don't mean avoiding "Cheap weapons" and "No camping", but rather, avoiding general dick moves. No teabagging, glitch abuse, ect. If a game mechanic supports humiliation type kills (Halo Executions, CoD knifes, ect) then those are free game. If you kill somebody, you need not make a racial slurr, comment about their mother, or other such nonsense. If you can speak to them, either just hold your tongue and move on to your next target, or if your feeling generous, give them a corrective tip.

#2: Its not personal, for fracks sake. Really people. Yes, bad match, ass handed to you, your probably gonna be a little butthurt. but seriously, thats no reason to outright start throwing every possible combination of curses and racial slurrs at somebody. If your gonna say anything, why not just ask them what they did? Better to be that guy asking for suggestions and advice than that guy screaming at the top of his lungs that the combo should have "PWND YUR SERRY ASS"

Other quirks apply on a game to game basis, but those are the absolute core of them. Each game has its own social tricks about it, but the above two should be universally true.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Corporations and alliances in Eve Online often have intricate rulesets of how and who to attack. The most common ones are NBSI (Not Blue Shoot It) and the opposite NRDS (Not Red Dont Shoot), but a lot of variations exist. Since diplomacy is an important aspect of the game ROEs become an integral part as well. And of course common courtesy dictates that players say GF after a fight.

In general I feel that winners should be sportsmanlike after a match or kill, but losers are allowed some slack to rage. A winner who resorts to insults is a jerk, a loser doing the same thing is human.