Multitasking while playing games

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
I do it loads, but it depends largely on the game in question.

If i'm grinding in any form (WoW, mats or souls in Dark Souls) I'll almost always have tv or films on the side. I also do it on occasion with games like TBoI, but if I'm having a good run I'll pause the side thing and pay full attention

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I can only ever really listen to music, and only when I am playing an MMO, playing multiplayer or doing a bunch of side quests. Never when playing the story mode. I just like a little background noise, but nothing that I have to pay too much attention too (ie, a film or a TV show).

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I frequently listen to audiobooks while playing a game that doesn't require the sound. I usually do this with Guild Wars 2. I've been playing it so long, the repetitive sound effects, and character comments have become dreary, so I mute the game sound and play an audiobook instead. Works great while I grind through daily content.

That's about the only time I multitask though.

smokingplane

Dec 26, 2011
I also have a podcast running, or a movie or something while gaming.
I play music while reading have a podcast running while coocking, have a podcast running during work (It admin), and I'm usually working on multiple problems at once.

However I realise that nobody (human at least) can really multitask.
Our brains are just not wired for it. You just end up paying less attention to what your doing.
And people who think their good at multitasking perform worse during multitasking tests than people who don't think they can multitask the latter end up trying harder to keep focused and score better.
I always thought I was really good at multitasking, so now if something important comes along I try to not do it.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
it depends on the game but if I'm playing a game like say Dynasty Warriors, turn based tactical RPG's, or other slow paced games or when I'm grinding for levels/items. I'll often have a podcast, a twitch stream, a picarto stream, or some sort of other entertainment on another screen, so I don't see anything weird about it

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
When I have to do payroll, it's extremely mind-numbing and repetitive work. If I'm working at home, I'll turn on X-Com and put it on the Mission control screen, but don't speed it up.

It actually works really well, because about every 3-5 minutes the game will tell you that this is built, this Soldier has healed, this structure is complete, etc. and then about every 25=30 minutes you'll get a mission to do. Perfect time for a break!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I like listening to a podcast or a review or just generally having youtube on in the background while I'm playing a game. If I'm playing a particularly boring, tedious or, easily-played game I may put on another simple game too...At one point I was grinding in Final Fantasy XIII which was basically just me running through Gaping Maw and hammering on the X button. I put on FTL to being on a bit of excitement.