Mumbai Attack

Daeres

May 24, 2008
So it's still going on with at least one militant holed up in the Taj Mahal hotel, has cost probably over 150 lives and caused 370+ injuries, massive damage to relations between Pakistan and India, and was probably carried out by the Pakistani ISI without government backing to sabotage relations between the two governments. That organisation is a menace to the region that needs to be brought to justice.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
It is truly terrible what is going on. So many lives ended or shattered.
How senseless.

I do hope that those responsible are brought to justice (If they didn't kill themselves like cowards).

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
Official report as of a few hours ago was 160 dead and 375 wounded. The attacks were pretty well planned out and their has been some rumblings Pakistani SF or Pakistani founded groups might have had something to do with this.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
Well, it's fairly obvious that at least one of them had their hand in it. It's just pathetic that they consider other religions "heathens" while they do things like this.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Doesn't India scream Pakistan every time something like this happens?

I'm not saying they're not responsible, but does it do anyone any good for accusations to be tossed around at this point? The mess is still ongoing.

niblik

Jun 13, 2008
I'm horrified at the loss of life and the damage. My heart goes out to India and its people.

I can only hope that they are able to catch every terrorist and punish them all.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I thought it was Muslims Terrorists/Extremists who were behind this act of terror. Although, it may be related to how Muslims are being treated in Indian more than Pakistanis trying to start messing around with the Indian government, note that the terrorists did look more like random joes, and kids, than trained soldiers. (According to CNN: The terrorists are known as Deccan Muhajideen)

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
cainx10a said:
I thought it was Muslims Terrorists/Extremists who were behind this act of terror. Although, it may be related to how Muslims are being treated in Indian more than Pakistanis trying to start messing around with the Indian government, note that the terrorists did look more like random joes, and kids, than trained soldiers. (According to CNN: The terrorists are known as Deccan Muhajideen)
If you were going to attack another country and wanted it to look like a terrorist attack would tell your men to wear their uniforms? While Pakistan is denying everything I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in this, even if not directly.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
It's horrible, that's for sure. As for Indian/Pakistani relations go: I really hope that it doesn't create problems/uprisings within Pakistan. In turn, I hope that India doesn't see that as a weakness and feel the need to strike and perhaps, start a much larger conflict. All in all, it's a shame that so many had to die...

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
TheBluesader said:
Doesn't India scream Pakistan every time something like this happens?

I'm not saying they're not responsible, but does it do anyone any good for accusations to be tossed around at this point? The mess is still ongoing.
yeah, they do.
Anyways, I think this was planned a long time ago, or some time ago, the terrorists knew the layout of the hotels pretty well.

Daeres

May 24, 2008
Scolar Visari said:
cainx10a said:
If you were going to attack another country and wanted it to look like a terrorist attack would tell your men to wear their uniforms? While Pakistan is denying everything I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in this, even if not directly.
Well, let's remember that the Pakistani government is not united, the ISI(main foreign and domestic intelligence agency in Pakistan if anyone is unaware) is often claimed to be a government within a government and a law unto itself, it wouldn't surprise me if they were behind this at all. I don't think the Pakistani government were, they can't afford a scrap with India right now.

clicklick

Oct 29, 2008
cainx10a said:
If Muslims were treated really really bad, India would have been a real mess cos the largest number of Muslim population in a single country lives in India afaik.

I know there have been riots before and to an extent, all minorities have their own issues. The vast majority of terrorists being Muslim doesn't help the Muslims who themselves are against these terrorists.

Daeres

May 24, 2008
clicklick said:
cainx10a said:
If Muslims were treated really really bad, India would have been a real mess cos the largest number of Muslim population in a single country lives in India afaik.

I know there have been riots before and to an extent, all minorities have their own issues. The vast majority of terrorists being Muslim doesn't help the Muslims who themselves are against these terrorists.
Not too long ago most terrorists would have been white... the Red Brigade, the IRA, ETA, it's only really been since the 80s that we haven't dominated the terrorist gig. Hell, there were Jewish insurgent groups in Israel before the British gave control of the territory to the UN, who then set up Israel. It's just the times we're in, that the appearance of a terrorist to us happens to be an Arab man with a headscarf...

Nov 12, 2008
When I heard about this I just shook my head in disgust, but I've reached the age where anything that the human race does to each other simply fails to shock me any more.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
My sympathies for the families of the 195 dead. I, fortunately, have my family located in other cities, so I didn't lose anyone.

As for the reasons, I remember hearing something about the terrorists only aiming to kill British and American citizens, with the other casualties being collateral. If that's true, then this incident has got its roots a lot deeper than the ongoing dispute between Pakistan and India. That's a scary thought.

Edit: Here's [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/3532446/Mumbai-attacks-Indian-troops-storm-Jewish-centre-as-hotel-hostage-flee-Bombay-India.html] a link to a newspaper article that has a little on it. If anyone else finds some information to support this theory, or debunk it, I'd be happy to look into it.

Milford Cubicle

Nov 17, 2008
Daeres said:
... and was probably carried out by the Pakistani ISI without government backing to sabotage relations between the two governments. That organisation is a menace to the region that needs to be brought to justice.
Why do you think it was probably caused by the the ISI? What proof do you have, other than hearsay?

Given that if it were to be true that it was an ISI-related incident, it would be tantamount to a declaration of war; and the last thing Pakistan needs at a time like this is a billion pissed-off Indians, nukes and all.

Milford Cubicle

Nov 17, 2008
It isn't without reason though is it? They will have a reason for these attacks. They won't just be doing it for shits and giggles.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
If playing Fallout has taught me anything, it's that we'll all be fine, possibly, maybe.

The problem with this whole mess is that humans are foolish, stupid, petty creatures. We hunt, prey on, kill, and torture not only ourselves, but other species, because we believe we're superier. That being said, no one is off the scope on who causes what in these things. How many wars have been started because one side was just being stupid? It's sad to think that we are not safe anywhere (Not just us "Good ol'" USAians). At home, we could be killed in our sleep for our possesions or because some sicko wants our women(It happens). At work, we could be a target of domestic/international terrorism. Going on vacation... Well, I'm sure I need not state how many planes in this culture's past have become a terrorist's target. I can't even begin to find those numbers. Also remember, Americans are only now really being targeted, other countries have been hit long before... We just had a particularly harsh initiation. Being a New Yorker, I can attest to that.
What have I done to have someone blow me up while I'm getting coffee at a local coffee shop, or while I'm taking my family to the movies, or going out with my friends? These are questions people ask when this crap goes on. There is no answer that makes sense to logical thinkers. War is hell? No, war is at least more civilized than terrorism, even torture is more civilized, because at least it's the soldiers fighting and dieing, not innocent men, women and children, or children losing their parents because some fool with a god-complex decided to teach the infadels a lesson. It doesn't matter who does it, for even if you stop one, how will you stop them all? Power is what they seek, and they'll use and kill to get it.
Forgive the rambling, but I have lost faith in humanity. At least, though, we aren't controlled by the richest (Detached from reality, too?) people, whom have long forgotten how it's like to be a real person. Phew!

orifice

Nov 18, 2008
Daeres said:
Pakistani ISI
Who? Never heard of them!
The militants responsible claim to be a new group called "Deccan Al Qaeda".

Islam is playing a dangerous game. If they continue to attack all other religeons they could find themselves out of their depth and facing a global holy war that will inevitably lead to the total destruction of Islam. (hopefully very soon!)