Music guilty pleasures.

ReincarnatedFTP

Jun 13, 2009
I started out as a big metalhead and I expanded my tastes from there on. I have a very diverse taste in music,and so do my friends, so I usually don't consider it a guilty pleasure (because I don't really have any), but if I had to give some based on peer reaction they would be:

Trance/J-pop can get me weird looks, although most of my friends listen to trance they might get onto me for the J-pop.

Emo/Emotional Hardcore/Post-Hardcore can earn me ire from people who will say "gaaaayyyyyyy" or label me as an emo just because I dabble in the music every now and then. I can understand why you don't like it, and I still don't like straight emo like Hawthorne Heights or Dashboard Confessional, but I like the original offshoots from hardcore punk and stuff like BFMV, Escape the Fate, and August Burns Red are enjoyable to me. Hell, every now and then, I can go for a MCR song or two.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Let me check for sons I'm a litle embaressed to listen to:

Butterfly by smile
Roses are red by aqua

Surprisingly small list.

Things i'm not afraid to tell:

Fireflies by owl city
J-pop

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I openly admit that I'm a fan of nerdcore.

What's that? What the crap is nerdcore, you ask? Nerdcore is a rap sub-genre where the focus is about "nerd culture", whether it be comic books, Star Wars, or even video games. Nerdcore also may use a tune from a video game as the beat/melody (i.e. Memories Frozen in Time [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUOSknSaGX0], or Guile's Sonic Boom [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S8GJe-3WVM]).

There's also this one Madonna song I like thanks to a compilation AMV... don't ask.

overchill42

Apr 15, 2009
The B-52s and the Electric Six used to be, but I'm getting more confident about them.

I'm also in on the secret 90s boy band nostalgia. Rick Astley is probably my biggest GP right now.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Green Day. Even the new stuff. They're the only band that I like EVERY SINGLE album I've listened to, although I'm afraid to listen to warning thinking that it might break the streak.

Also, does Herbie Hancock count? I think he's AWESOME but I don't know a lot of people that listen to jazz. Watermelon Man and Cantaloupe Island are great songs... although it does make you wonder if Herbie had a thing for fruits.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Julianking93 said:
I don't feel guilty about any of my music choices.

I'm pretty open about the fact that I listen to lots of stuff from Aqua Timez to Slipknot and from Tool to The Spice Girls.
Oh, so you're fairly comfortable with having awful, awful taste?
My music taste is flawless, obviously. No, it's not for most people, but it suits me and gives me pleasure. What I absolutely love in independant (not that it matters) punk and noise bands. Mika Miko and Comanechi being my favourites. I love female vocals too for some reason. I mean raw vocals. These bands like the Saturdays or whatever don't have that raw feel.

Sketchy

Aug 16, 2008
Hmmm...

Sum 41? I pride myself on being almost exclusively metal (except for the Aussie hard rock, I can't get enough of that stuff), so listening to a punk band is a little strange for me, considering I hate the genre.

I also think Bring Me The Horizon have some pretty cool riffs, but they suck in general. I hate them because I hate the whole "scene" culture, and as a general rule I hate anything-core.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Phoenix Arrow said:
Julianking93 said:
I don't feel guilty about any of my music choices.

I'm pretty open about the fact that I listen to lots of stuff from Aqua Timez to Slipknot and from Tool to The Spice Girls.
Oh, so you're fairly comfortable with having awful, awful taste?
My music taste is flawless, obviously. No, it's not for most people, but it suits me and gives me pleasure. What I absolutely love in independant (not that it matters) punk and noise bands. Mika Miko and Comanechi being my favourites. I love female vocals too for some reason. I mean raw vocals. These bands like the Saturdays or whatever don't have that raw feel.
Hey, I said I was open about it.

What you consider awesome might be terrible for me.

ReincarnatedFTP

Jun 13, 2009
Sketchy said:
I also think Bring Me The Horizon have some pretty cool riffs, but they suck in general. I hate them because I hate the whole "scene" culture, and as a general rule I hate anything-core.
I have the same stance as you on BMTH, although I don't avoid scene bands like the plague. I may dislike the band's fans but I can still enjoy their music. It's two separate things so I don't let it bother me. If I let every pretentious pre-teen fan of whatever it may be get to me, I wouldn't be able to enjoy hardly anything. Know what I mean?

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
I listen to metalcore on my own. it is just not excepted among my friends... R & B sucks btw!

Marble Dragon

Mar 11, 2009
Blur, kind of. I'm not afraid to mention that I like some of their songs, but I'm certainly not going to bring it up.

Emilie Autumn, kind of. I like her music, but not because I'm a crazy goth. (People are constantly asking me if I'm emo, and I don't think this would help...)

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I listen to all manner of music through my headphones. Dragonforce, Rhapsody of Fire, assorted J-pop and J-rock, and...

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
FinalHeart95 said:
Green Day. Even the new stuff. They're the only band that I like EVERY SINGLE album I've listened to, although I'm afraid to listen to warning thinking that it might break the streak.

Also, does Herbie Hancock count? I think he's AWESOME but I don't know a lot of people that listen to jazz. Watermelon Man and Cantaloupe Island are great songs... although it does make you wonder if Herbie had a thing for fruits.
Herbie Hancock's a FREAKING LEGEND.
He played with Miles Davis and Freddie Hubbard.
<youtube=Pp6S6yOD6qM>It's epic.

I listen to Avant Garde sometimes. It's shameful.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
Today I realized how wonderously catchy the I'm a Barbie Girl song is, but I'm too ashamed to listen to the actual thing so I listened to Weird Al Yankovic's parody "Ugly Girl" several times, thats pretty up there.

atv_chic_18

Feb 15, 2009
Oh there's several songs and bands I could input to this list but the one that amuses several of my friends is Cobra Starship. They're always surprised to hear that I like a couple of their songs.