Music is in a bad way...

the wako kid

Mar 31, 2010
londelen said:
Of course Radio stuff is bad, the stuff they there isn't music, it's a travesty designed to squeeze cash from the lowest common denominator in people.
the only things that newer radio stations play in terms of rock and roll is carbon copies of three days grace and nickelback,in addition to three days grace and nickelback. like the game industry the music industry lacks innovation.also,nearly half the songs I hear are about getting drunk or scoring(what happenend to love songs?).the music industry of this decade sucks,with the exception being techno,which is also headed down a dark path.I think the bands of this decade love to sell out.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Midnight Crossroads said:
Cynical skeptic said:
I'm just going to say it... but every sort of disagreement on this basically boils down to, "MUSIC ISN'T SHITTY NOW! HERE, LISTEN TO A FEW BANDS ONLY I'VE EVER HEARD OF!"

The reality is the "pop" of the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s lead people down paths they otherwise never would've taken. While the pop of the 00's was completely self-contained. If you liked it, you weren't going to find it anywhere else as it has no influences. It was derived entirely from everything thats ever been popular, with every sharp edge electronically ground away.
It isn't even 2011 and you're claiming the music of today hasn't influenced new artists?
... Uh...

Give me a second, I've really never encountered illiteracy on the internet. Didn't think it was possible.

If I were saying that, I would've typed something along the lines of "will never influence anything." Which wouldn't make any sort of sense in the context of what I wrote, as I was talking about how the pop of the 00's came from no where, seemed to form from a vacuous void outside of all other types of music, or... "had no influences."

It was music that never could've formed "naturally," for it drew only the broad strokes from every "big hit" while discarding any conflicts.

If it were to influence new artists, it would either sound identical (just trying to make money) or completely different with only extremely discerning ears being able to hear it.

Plastic Muscles

Apr 9, 2010
Pop itself is getting a lot worse (at its peak in the 80s) but all you have to do is look to other genres there is a lot more good bands in the last decade than any other, why? Because more music is being made, it is easier to record music then release a album than it was 10 years ago, so all these little brilliant artists who before would have just dissapeared as no one wanted to sign them can just record a good quality album in their bedroom and sell it. A lot more gems have appeared but unfortunatly a lot of shit as come alone with it.

Anyways I think we can't go much further with music.
Dead disco, dead funk, dead rock and roll, remodel, everything has been done, la la la la la, la la la la, la la la.

EDIT: Canadian music is very good at the moment Stars, Broken Social Scene, Fiest, Arcade Fire, Metric. I mean it brought on songs like this:

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
The fact is that today, there's so much music being made that it can cater to everyone's demands. There are a lot of bands that have the same talent as my trash bin.

However, even if you do not like te music, there are still innovitave bands and artists.
- Lady Gaga
- Timberland
- Shakira

and there are some more.
Just because you (or I) don't like the music doesn't mean it's bad. The focus is somewhere else.

PS
You missed Queen in your list.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
I don't know how old these bands are, but try them:

Apocalyptica.
Three Days Grace.
Elliot Minor.

Oh, and a bit off topic, but these guys do bloody awesome covers. Please look at some of them.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vitamin+string+quartet&aq=0

I would post a video, but i don't know how :D

JimJamJahar

Dec 18, 2009
I don't listen to the radio a lot because I don't like particular genres, but I listen to certain artists that I like. For example, I love Hot Chip, but I don't like most other artists in their genre.

My particular favourite artist that became big (for a while) in the Noughties was Gnarls Barkley, with both of their first two albums being absolute gold and very original

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Furburt said:
Well, Om just about knocked me out the first time I listened to them.

As did Jesu.

And they're both from the 00's. It's not much though, not compared to the 90's and back. Still, there remains a lot of good music out there, you just have to dig a bit deeper.
Exactly, there is a lot of good music out there but with a lot of mainstream crap swarming all over the place (one of the few things I hate the internet for), it's more difficult to find. Last century, novel and influential music came floating to the top more easily because the selection available to the public was less broad.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Berethond said:
<spoiler=I disagree><youtube=Ltl474Qjun0&feature=related>
As soon as I clicked 'play' on this, I heard my radio say, "World's Biggest Trumpet Festival".

Coincidence? I think not!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
MiracleOfSound said:
I have been switching off the radio very often recently as all I'm hearing is awful, autotuned nonsense and I'm sad over the state of music these days.

Every decade apart from the last one has given us tonnes of classic artists that have had a huge, defining sound that rocked the world.

The 50s had.. well, you know who.

The 60s had the Stones, Beatles, Bob Dylan, James Brown, Hendrix, The Supremes, Beach Boys ect...

The 70s had Zeppelin, Bowie, Grateful Dead, Stevie Wonder, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, etc...

The 80s had Iron Maiden, Guns'N'Roses, The Who (also 70s), U2, Metallica, Depeche Mode, Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, Springsteen, Run DMC etc ect

The 90s had Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Public Enemy, NWA, Radiohead, Prodigy, Bjork, Oasis, Nine Inch Nails etc...

In the naughties, in my opinion there was not one band or artist who came along and gave us such new, fresh, exciting world changing music as all of these wonderful musicians.

Some people may count Muse, Arcade Fire or Kings Of Leon, to that I say fair enough for Muse, but AF and KOL have not (to the best of my knowledge) had nearly the same cultural and musical influence as most of the big bands of the other decades.

Or am I wrong? Will you show me some good music to make me smile, Escapists? Something with some heart and soul that came out in the last few years, that could be potentially as world changing as the greats?

Prove me wrong and I will be happy!
I think it's more an issue of taste than anything. For most people there is a bad decade or two once they get older and have developed tastes. A decade of no innovation and nothing they liked is a golden age for others.

Truthfully if I had to pick a genere to define this last decade it would probably be the critically hated "teen pop" stuff, which people seem to hate just because it's popular. In previous generations there was a lot of criticisms that could be made about it, but this time around it seems like the young people they are using are more talented, and also stay around longer. Not to mention increasingly getting into the "Rock Star Antics" more "serious" bands were known for in previous decades and are enjoyed retroactively. I mean people complain about all the crud surrounding the so called "it girls" and "boy bands" as bad news, and examples of why they blow chips, but consider Jim Morrison got in trouble for his pants splitting on stage, and getting a hummer from a fan through the split while he was performing.

Even if I don't care for it myself (and that's not surprising because at 35 I'm not the target audience) I think this is the decade where Teen Pop improved, where even I have to say it's not as painful as before. If you aren't looking at that "genere" then I think your missing a lot of stuff.

Compare some of the icons and how long a lot of them have been around, compared to say "Debbie Gibson" who did the same genere/routine, and is now only coming back into the limelight during "B" horror-satire movies with part of the joke being her and her rival(s) are former "it girls" from decades ago who more or less disappeared.

Heck, Hanna Montana/Miley Cyrus has been around a ridiculous amount of time for something that would normally be considered transcient, throw-away music.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Bruin said:
Regardless, you won't find any music people considered "world changing". The music industry revolves around making money now. Take the passion out of music and you just have sound played over a radio. While most people don't care about this, and the average joe just listens to it without thinking about it, you won't get any "world changing" music.
Key word: "Industry".

The music industry has ALWAYS revolved around making money, which is why its called an "industry".

OT: If you get the fuck off the radio and actually LOOK for good modern music, you will damn well find some.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
The main stream music is horrible these days but there plenty of good metal.

Not alot of new bands recently but theres been some good stuff from older bands.

At The Edge of Time by Blind Guardian is a good example, amazing album, but sadly under appreciated.

Rabarberskurk

Mar 31, 2010
Here's the beautiful thing about nostalgia; We only remember all the good things from old times, and forget the bad things (or just weren't around to see bad things get forgotten)

Bad music and trends has always been around.

Bruin

Aug 16, 2010
Ham_authority95 said:
Bruin said:
Regardless, you won't find any music people considered "world changing". The music industry revolves around making money now. Take the passion out of music and you just have sound played over a radio. While most people don't care about this, and the average joe just listens to it without thinking about it, you won't get any "world changing" music.
Key word: "Industry".

The music industry has ALWAYS revolved around making money, which is why its called an "industry".

OT: If you get the fuck off the radio and actually LOOK for good modern music, you will damn well find some.
The original goal of music was to stimulate the mind.

That goal is still around.

But with music industries perverting that goal into something that brings in money, you get the manufacturing of music, not the making of music. It's made like McDonald's hamburgers--they deep fry bullshit, slap it on an artist's face and go sell it.

Thing is, the popular music is the only music people will actually remember.

Led Zeppelin was not an obscure band, or else we wouldn't recall them today. Metallica was not some garage band only twelve people ever heard of.

The OP should have just said: "Why is popular music bad now?".

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Cynical skeptic said:
Midnight Crossroads said:
Cynical skeptic said:
I'm just going to say it... but every sort of disagreement on this basically boils down to, "MUSIC ISN'T SHITTY NOW! HERE, LISTEN TO A FEW BANDS ONLY I'VE EVER HEARD OF!"

The reality is the "pop" of the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s lead people down paths they otherwise never would've taken. While the pop of the 00's was completely self-contained. If you liked it, you weren't going to find it anywhere else as it has no influences. It was derived entirely from everything thats ever been popular, with every sharp edge electronically ground away.
It isn't even 2011 and you're claiming the music of today hasn't influenced new artists?
... Uh...

Give me a second, I've really never encountered illiteracy on the internet. Didn't think it was possible.

If I were saying that, I would've typed something along the lines of "will never influence anything." Which wouldn't make any sort of sense in the context of what I wrote, as I was talking about how the pop of the 00's came from no where, seemed to form from a vacuous void outside of all other types of music, or... "had no influences."

It was music that never could've formed "naturally," for it drew only the broad strokes from every "big hit" while discarding any conflicts.

If it were to influence new artists, it would either sound identical (just trying to make money) or completely different with only extremely discerning ears being able to hear it.
Sorry, I must have been trying to add sense to a senseless argument. All music has some influence. Bieber and Cyrus are probably trying to be like their favorite artist in some way, and the companies that tell them what to sing are basing it off of far more successful artists. It's a corrupted mockery of what influence should be, but it's still there.

edit:
Okay, I just listened to a Bieber song(that probably makes you win by some default) for the first time. Obviously, he was influenced by a lot of R&B artists. Probably Usher considering their relationship. And R&B, Hip-Hop, and the other influences of Usher can be traced back a long way.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
LC Wynter said:
What in the nine circles of hell are you smoking, bro?
Honestly do tell me, because it must've really numbed you to make you think like that.
Plenty of people get nostalgic about the eighties and the like, but really? Are you telling me that just because there were a few notable artists back then that it's better than now? There are hundreds of notable artists and hundreds of notable crap artists both here, then and wherever you go. Music isn't in a bad state at all, music is music. You can count Justin Bieber and whoever you want, telling me they suck, and I'm sure they do, but THEY'RE NOT A PERSONAL AFFRONT TO YOU. If you don't like them don't listen to them, and for Athena's sake stop banging on about how great music was in your day, because it wasn't. There were good bands, there were crap bands. No difference. The era you grow up in influences your tastes, so when music "evolves" you'll completely hate what's new. That's the whole thing with "losing your edge".
Basically, shush. You're a tornado of bullshit right now.
I don't prefer this era's music to the eighties or any other era. I honestly don't mind what era we're sampling here, but I grew up in the nineties and the noughties, so my tastes are just as shitty as those eras, if that's how you want to put it.
What this guy/gal is saying, although musical tastes are subjective and such.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
<youtube=TxH9Dg1JLio&translated=1>Proving you wrong one song at a time! Seriously, even the pop nowadays is pretty okay. I like Lady Gaga. She's brilliant.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I wouldn't really listen to recent songs, but a few of them are alright...

Remember that there was a lot of crap way back when, too. Although, to be honest, it's been a while since I last heard a new song that I like...