Music people wouldn't expect you to like that you did like

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Even though I'm very left-wing politically, I am a big Toby Keith fan. How about you? Any music people wouldn't expect you to like that you like nevertheless?

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
I'm predisposed to Classic Rock and Motown, so most people wouldn't expect to hear that I like just about everything that isn't universally bad or made for/by children.

I'll listen to older (slow/smooth) hip-hop, some metal now and then, a bit of techno if I feel like it.

I don't like %99 of pop, though. That's my exception.

FrostyRoskies

Jun 16, 2010
I'm huge into death metal, but I also love Simon and Garfunkel, Iron and Wine, Elliott Smith, even a little bit of bluegrass, post-rock, 70s progrock is my love other than metal. Plus Buckethead and Don Ross. There's a hell of a lot that people don't think I listen to.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
I enjoy hip-hop, especially A Tribe Called Quest (Low End Theory could potentially be one of the greatest albums of the 90s). Some people seem surprised by this, but whatever. Good music is good music-- there exists great music from all genres, but most people with pedestrian tastes never grasp this.

Skorpyo said:
I'm predisposed to Classic Rock and Motown, so most people wouldn't expect to hear that I like just about everything that isn't universally bad or made for/by children.
Usually people who say they like "everything except X" have no taste in music :p

Jerious1154

Aug 18, 2008
Seeing as how I complain about most music that gets played on the radio, my friends are often surprised by my appreciation for Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. What can I say, I love super-catchy pop songs. It's just that most Top-40 songs actually suck.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I'm an all around type of music guy, but I get a lot of strange looks when I bring up Avril Lavigne.

derob

Feb 17, 2011
As of late, I have been listening to a lot of 60's jazz, bebop, and a little bit of WWII jazz both from here in the U.S. and other countries. I have however, acquainted myself with some of the more notable figures in underground hip hop. I actually found myself telling one of my coworker's (who is an active event promoter for various hip hop acts) about a few hip hop performers who she knew very little about, and relating to her my genuine appreciation for a producer who she happens to be a big fan of.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I mostly tow the lines between indie rock, folk, and punk. However, there's plenty that people don't expect me to like:

-Soul (or Motown...R&B...whatever it's called): Seriously. Bill Withers is the man. Barry White makes me into a John Cage [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpyr4j-xsos] impersonator. Al Green, Otis Redding...

-Bluegrass: No one ever expects it, no matter who you are. My best friend is the one who got me into it, though. And he's black. People really don't expect that.

-The Fugees: This does surprise people. I don't really know why it's The Fugees and not any of the other 90's hip-hop groups I like. Maybe it's because more people remember them than they do A Tribe Called Quest (I guess a bunch of people my age still remember "Killing Me Softly").

derob

Feb 17, 2011
FrostyRoskies said:
I'm huge into death metal, but I also love Simon and Garfunkel, Iron and Wine, Elliott Smith, even a little bit of bluegrass, post-rock, 70s progrock is my love other than metal. Plus Buckethead and Don Ross. There's a hell of a lot that people don't think I listen to.
I was really into Eliott smith for a while myself. I actually took the time to figure out "whatever (folk song in c)" and played it quite a bit. Iron and wine is a really interesting group as well. Do you like the mountain goats? if you haven't already heard them (and I don't have a hard time imagining that you may have) you definitely should check them out.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
Most of the people who know me know that I'm mostly into rock (Green Day, The New York Dolls, etc), so it surprises them when I break out:

- Nerdcore (MC Frontalot, YTCracker, MC Chris). It's nerdy rap, so it's not entirely surprising, but I'm not big on rap/hip-hop in general (except for old-school Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, and Eminem).

- Lady Gaga. I am unashamed to say that there are moments when I turn on 'Nothing Else I Can Say' and shake what my mama gave me.

- Richard Cheese. If you've never heard this man's music, listen to this, then come back to me.

It's lounge covers of pop, rap, alternative, and everything else. I adore his voice, his band, and his tiger-stripe tuxedo.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I'm normally an 80s metal/rock/progressive rock/blues guy, but damnit I love Mayday Parade.

They're got great music, and some of the best written lyrics I've ever heard.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Most people probably wouldn't expect to like musical songs... Like the Dentist song from A Little Shop of Horrors and Be Prepared from The Lion King. >>'

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Stall said:
Usually people who say they like "everything except X" have no taste in music :p
Yeah, usually. But I'm not 14.

And I was rather specific about what I liked. Look again.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I'm an Agnostic Atheist that leans pretty close to the whole "there is no God thing", yet I love Owl City's most religious songs the most. Heck, it's strange I like Owl City at all.