Music to study with

Alon Doron

Mar 7, 2012
I have an upcoming physics test.
So, escapists, any suggestions for physics-thought-process enhancing music?

(Heh, the captcha for this post was "math test".)

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010

I always study/revise with the least distracting music possible... so on goes the drone!
Try Tim Hecker above...

If that is no good, then switch to something a bit more involved, like Trentemoller below...

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I can't really study with music, but if I have to, I only listen to instrumental music or music that I don't know. Otherwise I end up singing along in my head and getting very distracted from what I should be learning.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Physics you say
Or if rap isn't your thing.

Although for me I can't stand any noise when studying, I need silence. I don't understand how some people can concentrate with music player. Maybe I just get distracted to easily.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
I recommend the Portal 2 soundtrack:
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/12333/1799079-portal_2_soundtrack_free_download_super.jpg
Songs To Test By
<spoiler=Best Song><youtube=59oSNeRvZUI&autoplay=1>

Though in all seriousness, it's best to revise to either classical music, or songs with words you know really well.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
As said; play something you enjoy.
I usually go for fast, upbeat music while studying.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Some Post-Rock is great for studying, as it doesn't require a lot of attention. It just makes great background music. Most of it is instrumental too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-rock

Bark Psychosis, Tortoise, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, God Speed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, and the later Talk-Talk albums, are what you should be looking for.

Kapri

Jul 20, 2011
I like studying to my Glitch Mob Pandora station. It plays dub stepesque stuff only with a little more melody to it (usually) so it's nice background music when I'm trying to concentrate on homework or something.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Apparently (and I'm not sure where this comes from), but Baroque music is deemed the best music to listen to when studying, especially maths and physical sciences... *shrug*

So, having said that, here's some choice baroque:

Why yes, I am a JSB fanboy, how did you guess... *saunters away*

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Jazz! Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is perfect, it lets you relax and focus on whatever you're trying to do, but isn't distracting. Blue Train by John Coltrane is good too.

I find some video games have good study soundtracks too - probably something to do with the repetitive nature of video game music, good for problem solving.

SckizoBoy said:
Apparently (and I'm not sure where this comes from), but Baroque music is deemed the best music to listen to when studying, especially maths and physical sciences... *shrug*
Gonna have to try this - my classical music taste is pretty underdeveloped, but what's more boss than listening to Baroque while studying the observable universe?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
When I was studying for the MCAT about six hours a day, I'd actually listen to hip-hop (which I really don't listen to much otherwise). It actually seem to work much better than the folk and classical music I was going with before. And then I'd always be ready to leave the library and head on over to a friend's house to party.

So yeah, I go with hip-hop.

Any music I like works, though, so long as it isn't something like Animal Collective that can have moments (sudden loud noises, weird sounds, etc) that really jerk you back into reality.

Holarchy

Nov 6, 2011
Jazoni89 said:
Bark Psychosis, Tortoise, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, God Speed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, and the later Talk-Talk albums, are what you should be looking for.
What this guy said, these bands are great, especially Godspeed You! -drools- they're so thought provoking. I find post rock and ambient to be the best genres to listen to while studying (an earlier example was Tim Hecker whose recent album is sublime), though you can't go wrong with a bit of electronica or dream-pop either. Sample a few genres, see what's to your liking.