Music you thought you wouldn't enjoy but ended up liking

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
Have you ever had that artist where maybe you hear one song from them, or hear some things other people have said about them and just think "Ugh, this is going to be awful" but then when you actually dig into their discography you find out they're actually really good.

This happened to me recently with the rapper Macklemore where I heard Thrift Shop (Because every radio station played it 24/7) and I thought that he would be awful. But I got pointed in the direction of one of his other songs (Otherside to be exact) and it was actually fantastic, so I bought his new album and listened to it and also thought it was great (With the exception of Thrift Shop of course).

Anyway, has this ever happened to you or am I just crazy?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Recently heard The Contortionists album Intrinsic.
I was prepared for shitty breakdowns, tough guy posturing vocals, and an utter lack of riffs, creativity, or soul.

What I got was a wonderfully angular dreamscape that occasionally plunges into a nightmare(the good kind), only to return to it's introspective surface once again.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
I honestly didn't know what dubstep was until I looked it up tonight. It turns out I actually like the wub wubs...

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
BoneyM's Rasputin song. Damn that grew on me....

Also Scissor Sisters. I didn't like them at first, now I do. Thank you, Can't Decide, for allowing me time for my ears to adjust to the awesome!

Jan 1, 2013
I was first exposed to a Dubstep track when I was watching the movie Attack the Block and the ending theme The Ends by Basement Jaxx began playing. I ended up liking it. It didn't convert me into a fan of the genre though.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Pretty much every genre of music that wasn't in my native tongue or culture.

Thankfully, I was blessed with having an affinity for music and enjoy various genres.

Daft Time

Apr 15, 2013
Once I hit my teens I became particularly open to new music; I tried everything from hip-hop to jazz to country. The only time I was apprehensive of trying new music styles was when it came to foreign languages. I figured it would be unpleasant to not be able to understand the lyrics, and feared I might find a song that sounded pleasant but had lyrics that I'd otherwise be offended or embarrassed by.

Obviously, this couldn't last because Sigur Rós is awesome. Maybe that's cheating because many of their songs are in a constructed language without meaning - but I don't care.

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
Folk-Orchestral Metal.

Mainly because my friend bagged it out all the time and it seemed dorky. Then I started listening to it and started liking it, but I wasn't surprised, seeing I can't find enjoyment in nearly any kind of music.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Ruedyn said:
Also Scissor Sisters. I didn't like them at first, now I do. Thank you, Can't Decide, for allowing me time for my ears to adjust to the awesome!
Can't believe I got ninja'd on that one, but I've gotta say scissor sisters as well. They're sort of pop/club music, and have all the ingredients of music that I should hate. So why do I love them so much!?

Another band is good charlotte, which I generally describe to people as Blink 182: good version.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Christian pop-rock about abstinence... I heard it on a Christian radio station I was listening to ironically and I actually found it pretty catchy. It's still awful but it amuses me that I still enjoy it even when I shouldn't.

<youtube=1d_8z9hix4U>

Also: J-pop and K-pop

<youtube=yzC4hFK5P3g>

Another thing I started listening too ironically but then actually grew to like... Mainly because it's so upbeat and happy

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
The barbarian music from Europa Barbarorum.
While it might give you a headache at first, it is actually quiet catchy.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I never thought I would enjoy Hip-Hop. Then I listened to Scroobius Pip, Sage Francis, Atmosphere and Cage and I like it very much.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
The dubliners. It's quite a bit away from my usual metal music, but when my dad put it on during a road trip in the car I actually quite enjoyed it.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Like all of it. It's the curse of listening to so many game and anime soundtracks I guess. A load of stuff you would never otherwise listen to is suddenly your favourite song ever.

I used to listen to nothing but Metal songs, I still do and Advance and Vanquish by 3 Inches of Blood is still my favourite album of all time. I've expanded across a shitload of different tastes.

Initiate phase one...

Power up the Bass Cannon...

FIRE!

P4A has the same composer as the original Persona 4 (and 3?) and he makes so many good songs.

WHY DO PEOPLE NOT PLAY AIGIS WHEN SHE HAS THE BEST SOUNDTRACK?! Fucking Nooblords everywhere. Nope, everyone's going to play Akihiko and his shit music will ruin everything. I mean, I would play Aigis myself but my Shabrys takes precedence. Shabrys has a good soundtrack herself actually.

Oh and just to round off the list, the old favourite. Sword of Doom

Ominous chanting, bass guitars, electric guitars, operatic singing. Only the best for our super godslay-ey Mu-12.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
necromanzer52 said:
Ruedyn said:
Can't believe I got ninja'd on that one, but I've gotta say scissor sisters as well. They're sort of pop/club music, and have all the ingredients of music that I should hate. So why do I love them so much!?

Another band is good charlotte, which I generally describe to people as Blink 182: good version.
And Good Charlotte?!

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
My friends and I used to spend a lot of time making fun of the death and black metal genres. However, another friend of mine, who finds black metal to be the greatest thing that has ever happened to music and death metal a close second, got me into a few bands from the genres. Needless to say, I became hooked on black metal and often play it on .fm, and I also found myself liking some death metal bands. My friends and family were a little surprised when they found out how much I came to like those genres.

On the other hand, I still hate most metalcore, but every once in a while I hear something from As I Lay Dying, War of Ages, or Killswitch Engage that I enjoy. Metalcore also occasionally comes up on some of the radio stations I listen to, and more often than not those particular songs are good. Just don't try to get me into deathcore...

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
M 14 year old self would probably be shocked if he knew all the stuff he'd end up listening to. Honestly, the only music I don't like is that which appears in the charts (UK charts to be precise) but even that gets a good song once in a while. I guess I never expected to like J-rock, but the stuff that appears in the animes I've watched has always ended up on my Ipod.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
I used to hate death metal and anything with growled/screamed lyrics, but now I'm quite partial to them ( I guess it's an acquired taste). I didn't think I'd like rap until I discovered good Eminem & Immortal Technique.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
I really only like referential music. That is, a song about something I am interested in/care about. Only if they are done well though.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
These albums I thought would be too abrasive to enjoy before listening to them but now I think they are great!

Keiji Haino - Nijiumi

Kaoru Abe - Winter 1972

Abd if course the classic Third by Soft Machine, my first venture into experimental music when I was 15. I hated this record on my first 2 listens but now this album is 10/10, 5 stars, god tier for me: