Music you thought you wouldn't enjoy but ended up liking

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I used to hate J-POP but after being exposed to voice actors and their songs, I came full loop and ended up liking it.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Electro-Swing. I had never even heard of it, and suddenly I stumbled over Parov Stelar, and I liked what I heard. Had it been five years earlier at that point, I probably wouldn't have liked it at all.

Ska-punk. An acquaintance of mine was listening to Streetlight Manifesto while playing some Heroes of Newerth way back before DOTA 2 was released. I like all manners of instruments, but I never thought brass instruments and punk would go so well together.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
It's got to be dubstep, I know there are truly awful examples of dubstep music and the entire genre is shunned because of them, but certain ones I ended up really liking.

[small]Look up xKore...[/small]

BazaarFawkes

May 12, 2013
After being exposed to anime and K-pop, I now love listening to them far more than anything else.
I'm more of a ballad type person so I'm mesmerized by the singer's voices everytime I listen to their songs.
Like these for examples

<youtube=o5SSGhmTvr0>

<youtube=l0N8ZIpLdBU>

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Black Eyed Peas: I hate hip-hop, but I liked the way Fergie acted on a personal level, in interviews and stuff, plus their music seemed to be something other than the usual hip hop, something "cosmopolitan" somehow all in tune with modern times. To my surprise, I actually enjoyed it. Same goes for Dead Mau5 and Alicia Keys... Oh and reggae in general, you can blame GTA IV for that lol

My favorite band lately? Superheavy. It's a "power band", it has one of Bob Marley's sons, Mick Jaegar, Joss Stone, Will.I.Am (or somebody else from Black Eyed Peas) and this other fellow I keep forgetting. It's very very interesting, it has a strong reggae mood to it, but it's not reggae at all, a lot of jazz soul and rock around it too.

Apr 8, 2010
Recently that would belong to Kayo Dot and their album Choirs Of The Eye - when I listened to it for the first time that strange mixture of harsh noisy parts with quiet, almost chamber-music-like parts clashed too much such that it really really irritated me. But with time, that contradiction really grew on me in a way not many albums did before; It's now perhaps one of the most intricate, expressionist and beautifully fucked up works I've ever encountered - a testament that the world is always equally as violent as it is serene.

Case in point:

EDIT: quote removed for being moot now

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Ruedyn said:
BoneyM's Rasputin song. Damn that grew on me....
Rasputin! Rasputin! Russia's greatest love machine!

OT: J-POP. I don't really go out of my way to listen to it, but the one's that are anime openings have grown on me.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
The only thing i can think of is metal with extreme vocals like

The major turning point of that came when i randomly bought

I really can not listen to japanese songs for some reason

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
It's incredibly easy to look down on pop, but its influence has created stuff such as this.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I was lucky enough to like Trout Mask Replica on first listen.

Pretty much all music I vehemently hated, before I actually grew up and stopped thinking Metallica were good (the two are unrelated).

Rap music, dance music, indie music (not indie rock, christ on a bike...), quite a few things which rock/classic pop snobs seem to turn their noses up at.

Never understood the hate for dubstep either. I've listened to dubstep, just sounds like regular dance music to me. I'm not really into it but it doesn't thruck at my vomit glands just because some guy made it on a computer.

Where was I going? Music snobs annoy me, and yet I am one.

Why am I talking about myself.

Bleh.

NoMercy Rider

May 17, 2013
I didn't really see the appeal of the electronic music genre. However, like many others, after watching Tron: Legacy, I fell in love with the Daft Punk soundtrack. Since then I have really been a huge fan, purchasing most of Daft Punk's albums, and have been branching out to other similar groups like Deadmau5 and somewhat Gorillaz.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
I've tended to have an open mind. I don't think I've ever entered into anything that I didn't think I'd enjoy that has proved me wrong.

Except metal. I just don't like it. So far nothing has proved me wrong.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
The intro song to WipeOut 2048, titles "Louder". At first I thought it was ok, not bad but not great, didn't know if I'd watch the intro again just for it. Then I kept listening and it grew on me big time, and I then downloaded the full version and the dubstep-esque sound in the song also grew on me, and I really enjoy the song now~ Not a GREAT example, but it's the best thing that came to mind XD

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Lordi. I first found them through this video:

So I guess I can thank Looking for Group for introducing me to them. After continuing to listen to their stuff I had a revalation to why I hate growlers and any form of rock where the guitar sounds like, to me at least, it was just set next to a dryer and left to vibrate. A clear and unchaotic guitar track, and I can tell what the fuck the lead singer is singing about. It's the same reason I like very specific Slipknot songs like Before I Forget and Vermillion.

I would also say Stala & So but I'm left sour by the fact that the lead singer was former Lordi drummer Kita.

Ugh.

ShipofFools

Apr 21, 2013
Classical music. I never cared much for the pastoral sounds and the pious Christian music. But then I discovered the Modernist movement, and never looked back.