Musicians! Your instruments!

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Jonluw said:
Snap! (that is a US one isn't it?) I always loved them, but annoyingly I saw the Jag bass a little after I bought it and I'm smitten, even though it's pretty much the same instrument.

I've also got a 5 string Ibanez electro acoustic and an old, cheap (but not too bad) Peavey. I've got a sexy new Ashdown 15 watt amp, but I've got a 50 watt Laney that just doesn't sound as good. I tend to play and write metal and rock type stuff, I got myself a fuzz pedal and I'm having a blast doing some Cliff Burton stuff like For Whom The Bell Tolls.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
I'm partial to the violin myself. Played three year's of it in highschool, two in a jazz band. Difficult to be sure, but damn was it fun.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I play piano, electric guitar, bass and drums.

My main bass is a Highway One Fender Jazz, my guitar is a Squire Fat Strat and my drum kit is a pearl vision series with Sabian AA and AAX cymbals.

My favourite instrument to play (and the one I'm best at) would be the drums, followed closely by the bass.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Primary instruments: Trombone, Euphonium, voice

Secondary instruments: Trumpet, French horn, saxophone, guitar

Hobby instruments: Flute, Clarinet, Tuba, drum set, mallet percussion, tin whistle/irish flute, ocarina, the recorder family, oboe

Somewhat functional: bassoon, bagpipes, violin, bass (upright), one-handed piano

Non-functional: two-handed piano

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I play:
Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone, harmonica(s), 5-string banjo

I can also play (but don't currently possess):
Violin, piano

Also possess (bot can't play well):
Acoustic guitar, ukulele

Clarinet I've played for sixteen years, stopping at grade 5 during secondary school. I'm grade three violin and grade four piano. As for the others, I've never bothered to aquire any official qualifications or tutorage. All instruments end up gravitating towards me one way or the other, so I get to play all-sorts. Kind of a bad thing, as it gives me too much choice: makes me a master of none. Can sing too.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
I play bass and I have:
Mexican Fender Precision Bass (Lake Placid Blue)
America Fender Jazz Bass 5-String (Black)
Squier Vintage Jazz Bass (Natural)
Epiphone Thunderbird (Dark)

'87 Japanese Squier Stratocaster (build quality is just as good as a standard Fender)

At the moment though I'm learning the Piano Accordion and I have an Hohner Arietta IVM

Also I have an Hohner Harmonica and some Jews Harps.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Dastardly said:
Primary instruments: Trombone, Euphonium, voice

Secondary instruments: Trumpet, French horn, saxophone, guitar

Hobby instruments: Flute, Clarinet, Tuba, drum set, mallet percussion, tin whistle/irish flute, ocarina, the recorder family, oboe

Somewhat functional: bassoon, bagpipes, violin, bass (upright), one-handed piano

Non-functional: two-handed piano
"One handed piano"...at the risk of asking the obvious, what's that?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Claripit772 said:
I'm a percussionist! I especially like mallet percussion, and consider marimba to be the instrument I am best at.

I originally started clarinet when I was 11, and tried the marimba when I was 16 and made the switch permanently. My first mallet piece was written by Ney Rosauro, who is now my absolute favorite composer. I even got to meet him because he teaches an age-unrestricted percussion camp (He's the one introducing me to the audience in one of my youtube videos where I performed one of his pieces.) I spent one semester of college not majoring in music and realized that it was a major mistake, so I formally auditioned and have been a music student ever since :D

Cool. We need to see more recorded stuff, escapists! I'm sure I've got a few around, someplace...

Aug 25, 2009
maninahat said:
Claripit772 said:
Cool. We need to see more recorded stuff, escapists! I'm sure I've got a few around, someplace...
Did someone say more recordings?

Stuck in the Middle With You

All Along the Watchtower (I try and outdo Hendrix)

We Didn't Start the Fire (didn't have a lyric sheet to read either)

Oh Pretty Woman (Gary Moore died the day before)

Smoke on the Water (Watch for how we change tempo three times at least)

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
MelasZepheos said:
maninahat said:
Claripit772 said:
Did someone say more recordings?

Stuck in the Middle With You

All Along the Watchtower (I try and outdo Hendrix)

We Didn't Start the Fire (didn't have a lyric sheet to read either)

Oh Pretty Woman (Gary Moore died the day before)

Smoke on the Water (Watch for how we change tempo three times at least)
Cheers, but please, try to avoid putting lots of videos in spoilers. It tends to slow the browsers down.

Stormtyrant

Nov 5, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Tuba.

Because. You know. Low brass makes the ladies switch their underwear. And the tuba community is the life of a band.

First chair, got accepted into a youth wind orchestra.
Ah! A fellow tuba player!

I'm an Eb tuba player myself. It's older than I am, and the fourth valve has a nasty habit of shifting around, but it's mine! I also learned to play the baritone horn, which I focussed on after discovering how dreadful I was at the violin.

I quite like 10 part brass ensemble stuff (Chris Hazel's Brass Cats will always hold a special place in my heart), but by far I love any piece that has an interesting tuba part in it (Holst's Mars e.g.). You have no idea how many composers don't appreciate a bass line!

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Got an Ibanez ICX220 w/ Marshall MG30DFX, also recently picked up a Fender Squire P-Bass and Rumble 15 as I wanted to learn Bass.

Never had a class, I've just noodled for years, though I'm ordering Grade 2 RockSchool books for both; hopefully I can get certified soon.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I play the highland snare drum. In a pipeband.

Here's a video of my band playing during competition season just this year:

I'm actually a grade 1 solo player (Grades in solo competitions go from grade 5, the lowest, 4, 3, 2, 1 and then open, the highest. I'm trying to move on to a grade 1 band. Btw, grades in band competitions are the same, but the highest level is grade 1, there is no open level for bands.) So I'm actually far better than the drum-corps overall level. In other words, I'm pretty good.