Must read Science Fiction/Fantasy books?

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Hello everyone. I'm currently in the mood to read more Sci-Fi and Fantasy to try and become more of a fan of the genre. Now I've already read a decent ammount but I'm looking to get a handle on the classic and sort of "must-read" books of the genre.

For Science Fiction I'm fairly unfamilar with what to get, I've read Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the Chrysalids and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep other than that all Ive read have been tie-in books (Red Dwarf, Warhammer 40k)and turn of the centuary affairs like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells. So any help here would be apprciated. I've bought and am planning to read Dune and Ringword before anyone suggests them. I'm mainly looking for the sort of all time classics here.

With Fantasy I'm a bit more knowledgeable having read Tolkein, Pratchett and Moorcock as well as books by other notable writers. I'm also mid way through reading The Dark Tower, Princess of Mars and A Game of Thrones. I'm always looking out for things from the old greats (Leiber, Howard, Vance) but they're hard to find, so here I'm looking for modern greats. Just note I dislike multi-book series in general, I'll read them but I dislike the idea.

If you've read this far then thank you, I look forward to seeing what people suggest.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
There's a series of books I always recommend in cases like this:

David Edding's The Belgariad.

One of the best fantasy series I've ever read.

In lack of a better description for it, it's if Lord of the Rings had better dialogue and more lovable characters (Might get flack for that one)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
If you haven't read William Gibson's Sprawl series, you need to now. Also, more Philip K Dick never hurt anyone.

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
Day of The Triffids
The Kraken Wakes
The City And The Stars
The Malazan Book Of The Fallen

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I'd suggest pretty much anything by Robert A. Heinlein [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein_bibliography].
However, of those, I strongly recommend The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Brilliant book. Odd writing style, but such a little gem. I think it may have moved me to tears, but my memory sucks.
Edit: This is for Sci-Fi, if you couldn't tell.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
As fantasy I really liked The Name of the Wind from Patrick Rothfuss. Its really good book from even better author. What I liked there is that its oriented mainly on characters rather then whole fantasy aspect.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Well, it may not exactly fall into either of those categories, and it's a multi book series (though most of the books tell stand alone stories from beginning to end), but if you're willing to consider an urban fantasy, Simon R. Green's Something From the Nightside is fantastic. Every time a new book in the series comes out I can't put it down because they're so much fun to read. It's about a detective with a supernatural gift for finding things working in a hidden city under London called The Nightside which is this city where pretty much everything can happen... and pretty much everything does. It's got everything ancient mythological heroes to futuristic time travellers, all congregating in this dark city. It can go from weird high tech facilities, to dark halls with Lovecraftian horrors, and pulls it all perfectly into a noir framework. It's an absolute blast, and I can't imagine how anyone could read it and not absolutely love it.

KorLeonis

Mar 15, 2010
"Sword of Truth" and "Wheel of Time" series are some of my favourites, but both are pretty long multi-parters (and Wheel is being finished by a different author). I'd suggest anything by Neil Gaiman (American Gods or Good Omens) or Tom Holt (Falling Sideways or Expecting Someone Taller) for entertaining single novels.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Brandon Sanderson. Seriously any of his own works are fantastic. I say his own works because he is currently working to finish the Wheel of Time series for the late Robert Jordan. However, Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Mistborn Trilogy are all must reads.

On the other hand, if you're feeling a bit more relaxed, check out Jim Hines Goblin books, starting with Goblin Quest.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Already mentioned but Dune, also Blade Runner, Foundation series (Isaac Asimov)

As for fantasy I would recommend to start looking for the Dragonlance books, The death gate cycle, Ursula K. Le Guin's books.

EDIT: And as someone already pointed out, David Eddings books are great, either the Belgariad, The Malloreaon, Elenium or Tamuli are awsome (keep in mind however that Belgariad and Malloreon are from one universe and Elenium and Tamuli are from another and must be read in said order)

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
The Dresden Files series is an absolute must for a fantasy reader. I'll let the picture do the talking:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/1248964599329.jpg

Edit: Fail pic is fail. C/Ping the address seems to work, but not clicking or linking it :(

Anyway, it's a Wizard operating in modern day Chicago solving increasingly difficult supernatural problems. The most recent book, Changes has literally the best epic showdown I have ever experienced in any sort of medium.

KorLeonis

Mar 15, 2010
deth2munkies said:
The Dresden Files series is an absolute must for a fantasy reader. I'll let the picture do the talking:

Dang! How did I forget that? Love the Dresden Files!

Although the picture is wrong, he was riding on its back, not its head. The book is fairly clear on that.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
I typically read books that are heavier on the character development than the tech and lore than one might suspect, so you may find that my recommendations reflect that:

Sci-Fi - Octavia E. Butler's "Lilith's Brood"
Sci-Fantasy - Anne McCaffrey's Pern Chronicles (Dragons of Pern, Masterharper of Pern, etc) Rescue Run is decidedly sci-fi although it does take place on and around the titular planet from the previously mentioned series. "The Girl Who Heard Dragons" is an excellent collection of short stories, not all of them are sci-fi or fantasy though.
Fantasy - The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan or if you don't mind spiritual tie-ins, Stephen R Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" series. (It's not as preachy as you might suspect from the series title, but there are some serious religious themes)

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
KorLeonis said:
deth2munkies said:

Dang! How did I forget that? Love the Dresden Files!

Although the picture is wrong, he was riding on its back, not its head. The book is fairly clear on that.
Yeah, but continuity vs awesomeness, I let awesomeness excuse it.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
The Dark Tower series by Steven King is a must read for sci-fi/fantasy fans. It's both and it's good.