Mutant Football League Passes Funding Goal

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Mutant Football League Passes Funding Goal

Mutant Football League has passed its $60,000 goal on Kickstarter, and with 27 days remaining on the campaign, the team is looking at stretch goals.

Last week, we reported that Mutant Football League, spiritual successor to EA's Mutant League Football, had returned to Kickstarter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169451-Mutant-Football-League-MFL-Back-on-Kickstarter] in another attempt to raise the funds needed to complete the game. While the 2013 attempt included a heavier focus on mobile - which lead Michael Mendheim credited with the earlier campaign's failure - this time around the game is focused on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, a decision that appears to be paying off. The new focus and lower amount being sought has led to the game being fully funded with 27 days remaining.

[kickstarter=mendheim/mutant-football-league-mfl]

The game is described as "an NFL Blitz arcade-style football game, with nasty mutants, ferocious monsters, deadly chainsaws, and lots of gory player deaths, along with some edgy, satirical humor that parodies America's favorite sport."

The team has asked backers to submit suggestions on what they would like to see included as stretch goals.

"As you generate ideas please understand the dev team can't be creating exotic new systems or complex features," the update reads [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mendheim/mutant-football-league-mfl/posts/1800521]. "What we can do is to build on top of what we already have, make it great and make it polished. We can also consider a few smaller features like a fun halftime show. We do want to try to stay on schedule so we can release the game this year. I've seen many projects go off the rails by getting too ambitious and then they don't ship or they ship with unpolished features. You've invested your money in us and we need to deliver the project we promised. Also remember just because a feature you really want isn't getting implemented for the release, doesn't mean we won't be working on that feature down the road."

Sadly, the team has ruled out Mutant Hockey League as a potential stretch goal.

According to the Kickstarter page, the game itself is 75% complete. Online Multiplayer is 65% complete, and the funds will go towards finishing that, adding an additional character species, adding additional teams, voice over, and dirty tricks, improving AI, and more. A closed alpha is expected in April 2017, with a closed beta expected in June 2017. The team is hoping for an October 2017 PC release, with consoles to follow in Spring 2018, although the team stresses that "adding additional content can delay the final release date of the product depending on how much additional work is required."

A pre-alpha demo is available on Windows PC for backers who pledge $1 or more. The game will be released on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Meh. Wake me up when they make a game like this for a sport that's actually played worldwide.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Just hope they make the stretch goals reasonable, I've noticed that stretch goals seem to be where some KS projects bite off more than they can chew. All the best to them :)

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
RealRT said:
Meh. Wake me up when they make a game like this for a sport that's actually played worldwide.
The Great JT said:
Now that's a statement I can get behind.
According to Wikipedia about 40 nations have their own american football league, nations like Brazil, Germany, Egypt, Japan, and Australia. Meaning there's at least one league active on every continent except Antarctica. Is that 'worldwide' enough for you?

More on topic, sweet. Been looking at gameplay videos and while it certainly needs some polishing it looks like it could be a lot of fun.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Trucken said:
RealRT said:
The Great JT said:
According to Wikipedia about 40 nations have their own american football league, nations like Brazil, Germany, Egypt, Japan, and Australia. Meaning there's at least one league active on every continent except Antarctica. Is that 'worldwide' enough for you?

More on topic, sweet. Been looking at gameplay videos and while it certainly needs some polishing it looks like it could be a lot of fun.
No, no it isn't because having their own football league doesn't mean anybody but the players care about the sport in those countries. We got a baseball league in my country, but 99% of the population don't give a damn about baseball. There's a reason why american football world championship isn't an event of the same caliber as regular football world cup.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
RealRT said:
Trucken said:
RealRT said:
The Great JT said:

No, no it isn't because having their own football league doesn't mean anybody but the players care about the sport in those countries. We got a baseball league in my country, but 99% of the population don't give a damn about baseball. There's a reason why american football world championship isn't an event of the same caliber as regular football world cup.
Okay, now we're changing pace from 'being played worldwide' to 'having fan interest worldwide'. Fine. The NFL's Super Bowl is shown in about 160 nations and gets about 150 million viewers. Granted only about 40 million of those are from outside the US, but it still shows an international interest. Sure it's nowhere near the numbers the FIFA World Cup finals get, but we weren't talking about being the most popular sport worldwide, just being popular worldwide. Well first we were just talking about being played worldwide but let's face it, you couldn't just say that you wanted it to be about some sport that you actually are interested in, presumably regular football.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Trucken said:
RealRT said:
Trucken said:
RealRT said:
The Great JT said:

Okay, now we're changing pace from 'being played worldwide' to 'having fan interest worldwide'. Fine. The NFL's Super Bowl is shown in about 160 nations and gets about 150 million viewers. Granted only about 40 million of those are from outside the US, but it still shows an international interest. Sure it's nowhere near the numbers the FIFA World Cup finals get, but we weren't talking about being the most popular sport worldwide, just being popular worldwide. Well first we were just talking about being played worldwide but let's face it, you couldn't just say that you wanted it to be about some sport that you actually are interested in, presumably regular football.
Or ice hockey.
Or handball.
Or basketball.
Or tennis
Or ping pong.
Or badminton.
Or biathlon.
Or figure skating.
Or anything that's not as niche as gridiron is worldwide.

Yeah, 40 mil viewers worldwide is not really an impressive number when it comes to sports. I don't think you'll ever convince me that american football is anywhere near as popular as... well, any of the above.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
RealRT said:
Trucken said:
RealRT said:
Trucken said:
RealRT said:
The Great JT said:

Or ice hockey.
Or handball.
Or basketball.
Or tennis
Or ping pong.
Or badminton.
Or biathlon.
Or figure skating.
Or anything that's not as niche as gridiron is worldwide.

Yeah, 40 mil viewers worldwide is not really an impressive number when it comes to sports. I don't think you'll ever convince me that american football is anywhere near as popular as... well, any of the above.
You do realize I never tried to convince you that football is as popular as, well, anything? The first issue you had (or agreed with at least) was that it was a sport that isn't played worldwide. I showed you it is. Then you changed the issue to it not being popular worldwide. I showed you it is. And now you change the issue to it not being popular enough? That's something I can't even argue against 'cause people will definitely have different opinions about how popular a sport needs to be to get a Mutant League game.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
RealRT said:
It's possible to enjoy games that are based on sports you have no interest in. I find American Football immensely boring, but I love Blood Bowl.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
09philj said:
RealRT said:
It's possible to enjoy games that are based on sports you have no interest in. I find American Football immensely boring, but I love Blood Bowl.
Oh, I have zero interest in any sports whatsoever, but American Football I can't even comprehend. I mean, I know scoring a touchdown is a good thing, I guess, but the rest of it, I have no idea what's going on.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
RealRT said:
09philj said:
RealRT said:
Oh, I have zero interest in any sports whatsoever, but American Football I can't even comprehend. I mean, I know scoring a touchdown is a good thing, I guess, but the rest of it, I have no idea what's going on.
The teams set up formations, then try to get the ball to the end with passing and violence, and if the ball is dropped they get to set up your formation again. The sport itself is very stop-start and really dull as a result. The trick to making it fun is to improve the flow of play. Blood Bowl in particular's approach is to remove the stop start element; even if the ball is dropped, play continues, and you only get two minutes to set up your starting formation. The violence is also cranked up to comical proportions, with players being routinely knocked out, injured, or killed. Overall, it's a much more engaging, concise, and tense experience than the sport, despite it being a board game.