Mutant-Hunting Robot and Chinese Ghost Finalize MvC3 Lineup

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
they probably saving mega-man and or X for DLC or the inevitable Super-MVC3

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
And...random factoid time, the jiang-shi (Hopping Vampires) can be stopped by dropping rice on the floor, which they have to count - which is where Count Von Count (Ah Ah Ah!) is thought to have originated from.
Western Vampires are frequently subject to similar issues. Not necessarily counting rice, but counting is one of them.

There's also the bit about knot tying, which is weird and awesome.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Metzeten said:
Saying that one character (in this case, Sentinel) is overpowered in a game type that, in essence is derived from an arcade game where the aim was to play through sequentially more difficult baddies untill you won, is, frankly, stupid. The appeal of playing as your favourite character of the series should be the appeal in buying the game, not having a mode where pure skill is all that you use.

The game has distinct characters for a reason, to suggest that all characters should be equally balanced, would end up restricting all characters to the same moveset, range, and abilities.
If you want balance, play something where balance and by extension, skill are the main aims in the competetive play.
That's hardly correct. Suggesting that all fighters need to be identical in order to have balance for the competitive scene is a logical fallacy and one that's simply not true. Games can have balance and yet have very unique and varied characters. For instance, back in the days of Guilty Gear XX #R, you had tournaments where people playing Anji - a low-tier character - were able to place.

Compare that to, say, MvC2 where some characters were just utterly useless compared to the likes of Storm/Sentinel/Magneto/Cable. Or Tekken 4, where the top 5 placers in a tournament would all be using Jin.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Interesting that they still haven't decided to harmonise her Western name with her Japanese (where she's always been Lei-Lei). This probably would have been the time to do that.

Grahav said:
Hsien-Ko uses a lot of clothes for a Capcom girl.
Yes, but Capcom has always taken great pains to keep her window open, so to speak. Which is a shame, because it'd be nice to see a non-oversexualised Capcom girl.

Metzeten

Oct 16, 2009
John Funk said:
Metzeten said:
Saying that one character (in this case, Sentinel) is overpowered in a game type that, in essence is derived from an arcade game where the aim was to play through sequentially more difficult baddies untill you won, is, frankly, stupid. The appeal of playing as your favourite character of the series should be the appeal in buying the game, not having a mode where pure skill is all that you use.

The game has distinct characters for a reason, to suggest that all characters should be equally balanced, would end up restricting all characters to the same moveset, range, and abilities.
If you want balance, play something where balance and by extension, skill are the main aims in the competetive play.
That's hardly correct. Suggesting that all fighters need to be identical in order to have balance for the competitive scene is a logical fallacy and one that's simply not true. Games can have balance and yet have very unique and varied characters. For instance, back in the days of Guilty Gear XX #R, you had tournaments where people playing Anji - a low-tier character - were able to place.

Compare that to, say, MvC2 where some characters were just utterly useless compared to the likes of Storm/Sentinel/Magneto/Cable. Or Tekken 4, where the top 5 placers in a tournament would all be using Jin.
Ah but thats taking the game into the realms of high-end competitive play, where its more of a sport. Granted in a lot of fighting games some characters are useless, but I always thought of those as a sort of discrete meta-game.
Yknow; "so you can beat the game using the easy mode character, and your favourite, but can you win using only a carrot and playing with your feet?" mode.

I think thats the point in the variation in the power of the fighting game character. So that even people like me with one thumb and two left hands can feel like they can play it. After all, I can still play starcraft, but it doesn't mean I'll ever be any good compared to a champion who beats me so fast I hardly have time to build my first pylon.

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
The Diabolical Biz said:
Did that robot thing even get touched?

Hmm, maybe I could win at a fighting game for once!!
Sent is a LOT slower then before. Mouth Laser can no longer be unblockable. He does less damage (not a lot less, just less, its still a vs game.) Rocket punch xx HSF can't be done full screen. They got rid of the j. lk normal (arguably the best normal he had) and his normals don't chip. He is a lot less dumb then he was in Mvc2. Think of him as 'Diet Sentinel' for now.

What he gained was permanent unfly (look it up), he can chain standing to crouching mouth lasers, and the bomb drones hit everywhere. You don't need to do anything special to do 'fast-fly' combos anymore, but since theres a little delay to it, you can't use a ground normal xx fly and do an instant overhead anymore. Its kinda a boon, but frying pan (old j. HP, new j. E) does a hard ground slam, so you can't have those crazy 60 hit unfly combos anymore. But you can do an aircombo to otg rp xx super for huge damage.

Anti sent stuff will probably be even stronger vs him since he is so slow. Deadpool, Arthur, Dormmamu and other zoners are going to have a field day facing the robot. So, don't start qq'ing about a nerfed character before the game comes out.

Just remember the designers are deliberatly trying to make the game as broken as possible. If you go up to capcom and say "This shit is broken as hell!" they will probably reply, "Thank you for the complement."

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
GODDAMIT!! Sentinel was the one character I DIDN'T want. *sigh* Maybe they'll make a "NO SENTINEL" lobby for the online matches.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Ok, Hsien-Ko looks absolutely adorable and like a lot of fun.

Though Mr.Funk.
She(Lei-Lei) and her(Lin-Lin) Sister(the charm on her head) become a Chinese "Jumping Zombie" or a Kuang Shi.
Just so you know.
:)

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
Ok, it's official. I'm still getting the game, but I'm staying the fuck away from online play. Because now everyone and their mother is going to use Storm/Magneto/Sentinal every other fucking match.
Sentinel is quite easy to beat. Most of its moves are telegraphed and have hideous cool-down times; a missed Rocket Punch leaves the arms open (a la Dhalsim), Sentinel Force can be easily evaded and Plasma Storm takes a good 2 second charge unblocked.

Omega Red or anyone with long distance/toe-tap attacks can floor it. If Chun Li still has the medium/down kick, she can just toe-tap across most of it's attacks.

aegix drakan said:
laryri said:
She was in both Puzzle Fighter and Gem Fighter so maybe that's where you know her from? She wasn't in MvC2.
PUZZLE FIGHTER! That's it! THAT'S where I know her from!

:D You have just saved me a sleepless night. Thanks.
Hsien-Ko was originally from Darkstalkers I believe. Not the first one, but the second. And...random factoid time, the jiang-shi (Hopping Vampires) can be stopped by dropping rice on the floor, which they have to count - which is where Count Von Count (Ah Ah Ah!) is thought to have originated from.
Sorry to fanboy out for a sec but i think you mean "Kuang Shi"(Special type of Chinese Zombie), "Jiang-Shi" means Stiff Corpse anyway..
H-Ko is biased off of Southern Chinese zombies.
The kind that have charms that allow them to move/keep their powers in check/bind them and can learn powerful moves as they grow older.
:p
Though i think China treats their Vampire and Zombie myths as the same...

Feb 13, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
Sorry to fanboy out for a sec but i think you mean "Kuang Shi"(Special type of Chinese Zombie), "Jiang-Shi" means Stiff Corpse anyway..
The kind that have charms that allow them to move/keep their powers in check/bind them and can learn powerful moves as they grow older.
Honestly... Jiang Shi [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiang_Shi] is where it came from.

Kuang Shi is the Cantonese version, but Jiang Shi is the Common chinese tongue for the hungry hopping zombie-vampire-ghost that Hsien-Ko and her sister are.

http://darkstalkers.wikia.com/wiki/Hsien-Ko

/fanboy_extreme :)

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
Honestly... Jiang Shi [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiang_Shi] is where it came from.

Kuang Shi is the Cantonese version, but Jiang Shi is the Common chinese tongue for the hungry hopping zombie-vampire-ghost that Hsien-Ko and her sister are.

http://darkstalkers.wikia.com/wiki/Hsien-Ko

/fanboy_extreme :)
HAHAHAHA!
I used the same pages to check my own info.
Though i guess i missed a few things though...
ANYWHOOOOO.
Hsien-Ko is awesome anyway.
*Fanboy Brofist*
I love her/their backstory.

Im hoping if they consider more Darkstalker characters for DLC they think about Jon and Huitzel.
I love Jon and Huitzle.
Jon would be a interesting opposite to Felecia and Wolverine.
And Huitzel would be a great short-mid-long range weapon fighter.

Feb 13, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
HAHAHAHA!
ANYWHOOOOO.
*Fanboy Brofist*

Im hoping if they consider more Darkstalker characters for DLC they think about Jon and Huitzel.
I love Jon and Huitzle.
I was always a Rikuo/Jeddah player but Jon was always a Blanka style fighter and Huitzel was Iceman/Cyclops.

I'd be ecstatic if they brought in Ella (Samara) from MUGEN though.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
HAHAHAHA!
ANYWHOOOOO.
*Fanboy Brofist*

I love Jon and Huitzle.
I was always a Rikuo/Jeddah player but Jon was always a Blanka style fighter and Huitzel was Iceman/Cyclops.

I'd be ecstatic if they brought in Ella (Samara) from MUGEN though.
Jeddah was always just fun to watch fight.
Im pretty good with him, and his moveset is just amusing to watch.

And i see what you mean about Jon being like Blanka, though i always took the fast dash fighting style.
His spinning charge is fun to pull off midair.

And i hate it when people spam Huitzel's icebeam.
I love his ability to set up combos with his mines and go into a attack with his machine guns.

Never played Rikuo that much, though his Bubble and sound wave attacks are annoying...

Lord Raptor would be interesting to see as well and i do miss B.B.Hood.

I do not know who Ella is though.

To the Internet!