MW2 Thread #195397659

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Hi, I am Philadelphia PhilliesPitcher Cole Hamels, and I'm here today to talk to you about something close to my heart. PC gaming. Have you ever found yourself, just playing some CoD4, chilling with other PCBros? When BAM! Infinity Ward makes the PC version of MW2 have a shit multiplayer. I have, and let me tell you, it's not cool. So be cool, avoid shitty PC ports, they're for pussies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxBdcdKVm2U&feature=sub
I see what you did thar Robert Bowling, and your bad jokes don't make us less angry.

Now where is there discussion to be had? Will there ever be dedicated servers? I really was looking forward to this game, but the overall idiocy on IW's part is just too much.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
Oldnews is old.

Did you read the blogpost about the whole "No dedicated servers" yet? http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745

After you do that, explain what you don't like about the new system instead of saying "RAGH NO DEDI SERVERS MEANS THE GAME WILL SUCK END OF STORY."

Finally, if after doing that IW does not adjust for you, do something simple: DON'T BUY THE GAME AND STOP TELLING US ABOUT HOW IT SUCKS.

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
Well, i liked the video.
But IW, may well end up with much lower sales, just a lot of rentals, and people passing around a single copy of MW2, to play the story mode.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
Halfbreed13 said:
I was actually referring to if they would patch it in at a later date.

Lemme just ask, have you played the game yet? Do you know exactly how the system is?

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
x434343 said:
Halfbreed13 said:

Lemme just ask, have you played the game yet? Do you know exactly how the system is?
I'm sure he doesn't, but neither do you and you're coming off like you're superior in this situation (regardless of your intent, that's how it sounds). The answers that IW gave earlier did nothing to reassure PC gamers that IWNet is an acceptable substitute for dedicated servers.

In fact, it sounds like nothing more than a Halo 3 matchmaking copy.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
JeanLuc761 said:
x434343 said:
Halfbreed13 said:

I'm sure he doesn't, but neither do you and you're coming off like you're superior in this situation (regardless of your intent, that's how it sounds). The answers that IW gave earlier did nothing to reassure PC gamers that IWNet is an acceptable substitute for dedicated servers.

I'm going to give the system a chance before I flame it. From what it sounds like, it seems that you can use the system similarly to L4D's system to set up private games and make gaming parties that migrate between servers together.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
x434343 said:
I'm going to give the system a chance before I flame it. From what it sounds like, it seems that you can use the system similarly to L4D's system to set up private games and make gaming parties that migrate between servers together.
I won't fault you for wanting to try the system before you make a final judgement, but comparing this to the Left 4 Dead system is a tad unfair. While it worked in Left 4 Dead, much of the reasoning as to WHY it worked was the very low player-count. At most, you needed 7 people on your friends list to join you, but three would suffice. When it comes to something like Call of Duty, the playercounts are MUCH higher and therefore impossible to manage on a friend list.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
JeanLuc761 said:
x434343 said:
I won't fault you for wanting to try the system before you make a final judgement, but comparing this to the Left 4 Dead system is a tad unfair. While it worked in Left 4 Dead, much of the reasoning as to WHY it worked was the very low player-count. At most, you needed 7 people on your friends list to join you, but three would suffice. When it comes to something like Call of Duty, the playercounts are MUCH higher and therefore impossible to manage on a friend list.
Cap for servers is 16, if I remember correctly. For clan-on-clan matches, you can have your 8 popped in, then have their 8 pop in. For the Party System, do you need more than half a server? Probably less. So, comparing the System to L4D isn't that far off.

Jun 11, 2008
Yes we all feel your pain but there is nothing we can do about we all know that the new system is going to very likely suck balls as it is a copy of the matchmaking system on consoles effectively killing the mad diversity of game types and player caps we have had previously.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
x434343 said:
Halfbreed13 said:

No, but neither have you.
I have, however, used almost every system on most platforms, and in my personal experience, Dedicated server are always superior. In every aspect.

Boron00

May 31, 2009
Did everyone forget that L4D had dedicated servers? it used ,match making to put u in an empty one. you could still buy a dedi server for clans, install mods, and just have a private game with no lag.

Ishnuvalok

Jul 14, 2008
Apparently one of the kill streaks is "Tactical Nuke". 25 kill streak, you get a tactical nuke strike. You use it, match ends with victory to whoever used the nuke. :\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoueQL0y3tM

Irishhoodlum

Jun 21, 2009
2012 Wont Happen said:
I'm not a PC gamer, so please fill me in:

what are these dedicated servers I keep hearing about?
Basically Player-Owned servers, which allows for the players to choose the map rotation, ingame rules, to put in player made content etc.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
x434343 said:
JeanLuc761 said:
x434343 said:
Halfbreed13 said:

Just thought I'd nail you on something.

Clans.

Kinda hard to have a clan without your own server.

From which is why I know 3 gaming clans (out of the 3 gaming clans..) that were originally going to have ded servers but now ofc will not.

I'm actually suprised IW did this, I was expecting them to do something (I've been seeing a mone ygrabbing trend as of late...) such as they'd own all of the servers but they would "Rent" them out.

In L4D clans were non-existent. Very hard to draft new people in if the odds are you will never play on their servers again, and not being able to say other wise.

There are multiple reasons as to why I hate the new system, and why I will not buy it BUT that aside, I will wait for the responses of my friends from whom are good game critics and if they can see a silver lining when they get it then I'll consider, but as of now it's on my "Soon to pirate list, to flip off IW"

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Irishhoodlum said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
I'm not a PC gamer, so please fill me in:

what are these dedicated servers I keep hearing about?
Basically Player-Owned servers, which allows for the players to choose the map rotation, ingame rules, to put in player made content etc.
Ok, thanks.

Now, for my on topic opinion:

I think dedicated servers sound like a good idea personally, but I suppose I see the companies reasoning.