MW3 "Leaked" Scene - Controversial for the sake of it, or good story telling?

Squiggers

May 10, 2008
I got directed to this video earlier by a game developer friend asking for my views on it:

Edit: Video taken down by Activision. :(

For those who wish to know what occured in said video:

Essentially, a chemical bomb goes off in London, killing a small family of tourists - a mother, father, and small girl.

Now, theres two different ways this could be looked at.

1) A way to get multiple views, increase awareness of the title via that lovely controversy, and get sales as a result.

2) Clever story writing - that makes you think more.

I personally view this as the later.

Theres a few reasons for this. First and foremost, you will see similar (admittedly, horrific) scenarios in TV dramas and films, that are liable to go more in depth than this clip. As a result, i'm not really buying into the "We can't show that, its beyond the pale" when other forms of media are more than capable of showing it. Somehow a cutscene (which you do not interact with) cannot be regarded in the same vein as a TV clip, or film with this kind of content. When, in all honesty, it should be.

Secondly, and this is perhaps the worst bit - this adds to the impact of whats happening to the player. You can't really believe whats just happened, nor do you want to. Creating civilian causalities adds realism. Its something that was partially alluded to in MW2, with the invasion of America, it was a story MEANT to play on the viewer's fears. After all, you ask anyone who grew up between 1950 and 1992: what was your greatest fear? And it wouldn't be too far off the USSR spilling over the W. German border, or in the American case, landing on US soil.

The fear of a chemical/dirty bomb going off in a capital city? Thats one hell of a way to play on the viewer's fears, and do it very well. Adding potential civilian causalities makes it hit that much harder - and makes it more believable too. It does draw some.. unerving, comparisons to the July 5 bombings in London (Which as a Brit, are a bit hard to forget.) in your mind, but whether thats a good or bad thing, i'm slightly undecided.

To me, its a good way of making the story matter to the player more - thats from me as a developer, and a gamer. Horrific, yes. But do I think its over the top? No. Would I have designed that scene differently? Perhaps without the child? Yes. But then, that could ruin the impact. I'm leaning very much on the side of this being good story telling rather than being intentionally controversial. Unnerving, and sickening, certainly. But does it do what the writers and designers want? By making the player think about whats just happened?

For all intents and purposes, this is the kind of story writing for games thats starting to compare to Film/TV Drama - and thats very important in my opinion. Very important indeed.

What do you think? Do you think that this is too far? Too disturbing to be shown in a game like this? I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks. In a way, I'm surprised that nothing has been written yet on this on here.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I don't understand why this is controversial.

'Games are art' argument: CoD is a military shooter. Civilians die in war, aka 'Shit happens'. To show civilian causalities in a military shooter shouldn't be a big deal.

'Objective/Realist' argument: They're polygons for godsakes. Who cares?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Well, since No Russian made MW2 sell about 3 Million more copies then the game would of without it, with all the coverage, I think they want to repeat atleast some of that conterversey, without handling it so stupidly.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Like I said in the other thread, there's no reason why we should treat this as special compared to movies. If it happened in a movie, nobody would raise a stink about it as long as it had an R rating.

Anyway, we don't really have an idea what context that scene has in relation to the game yet, so any judgement is premature.

Squiggers

May 10, 2008
Unfortunately, some seem to regard this kind of thing as controversial, as it involves killing civilians. Sad fact is, this is something that is fine to be displayed in film and TV - but god forbid that any writer even thinks of putting something like this in a game.

Some examples of the "Controverssssssssssssy!" viewpoint seem to be on that Youtube link, and i've not doubt some news channels will pick it up and run for the hills with it.

diebane

Apr 7, 2010
Because I don't know about the context of the scene, if the family is known or a mere device to tell you what happened in London, I can't say it shouldn't be in the game. But I know CoD to be a magnet for shitstorm publicity, so I say it's a poorly made scene put in for the purpose of getting the game out there.

There's also this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.321423-Modern-Warfare-3s-new-No-Russian#13143884

Meh.

mfG diebane

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
I couldn't have said it any better than this guy on Youtube.

FooFilmOfficial said:
This is just pure shock value. It's purely unnecessary. I'm not offended but this doesn't do anything for the game. It's just so players can get mad. It's predictable and lazy storytelling.
It just seems like they're trying to one-up their previous efforts to create controversy, nothing more.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
A Call of Duty game having good storytelling? Hoihoihoi.

No, this isn't hating Call of Duty because it's cool, it's hating it because a story deserves to be told better than just through loading screens and quick-time-event handicapped bits where you don't actually control you're dude

See Black Ops especially.... and Battlefield 3, which ain't a COD game, but it's story is told in the exact stupid way.... just worse

Squiggers

May 10, 2008
Woops, didn't see the other thread, my bad. :(

I'm not so sure that its for the sake of publicity, its just that its been jumped on by some news outlets and depicted as being for that purpose.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
That scene did create a response in me emotionally. When my NPC buddies get blown away I just think "Oh great. Leave me with all the work" But that girl. That seemed unneeded. Not to the extent that I hate the developers for it but to the extent that as the player I would want to stop this myself.

Aug 1, 2010
All I can think is: That's it??? THAT'S what people are up in arms about?

Not only do have zero knowledge of the people being killed, but it wasn't even that shocking. No shot of the corpses? No blood or body parts from the explosion? No scene of the injured father choking to death on the chemicals as he reaches for the dead mutilated bodies of his family? And most of all, where is the scene where you stomp on her puppy and scoop up the remains with a piece of paper that has a holocaust denial written on it?!?!?!?

It's lazy. Not only is it only for shock value, but it isn't even powerful shock value.
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
This will be blown out of proportion
Hehe. Get it?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yes, I trust the Call of Duty franchise to get poignant around the 15th installment.

Sorry, I'm just a fan of Occam's Razor. They shocked people with MW, ramped it up in MW2, and here we go again.

Squiggers

May 10, 2008
Shadowstar38 said:
That scene did create a response in me emotionally. When my NPC buddies get blown away I just think "Oh great. Leave me with all the work" But that girl. That seemed unneeded. Not to the extent that I hate the developers for it but to the extent that as the player I would want to stop this myself.
Pretty much what I'd regard as rather good storytelling; it means that the player is more.. emotionally tied to the experience. The idea (I'd assume) is that you can imagine a similar scene happening in real life and its meant to play on that thought - and scare the crap out of you. It unnerves me, at any rate.

In the game world, you're thinking that similar scenes have just played out across other European capitals. A quite.. horrible thought. And it does give some drive to keep going/fighting to the conclusion as a result - you might be familiar to that feeling if you have a tendency to get into the plot of a film, game, or book.

MrDeckard said:
All I can think is: That's it??? THAT'S what people are up in arms about?

Not only do have zero knowledge of the people being killed, but it wasn't even that shocking. No shot of the corpses? No blood or body parts from the explosion? No scene of the injured father choking to death on the chemicals as he reaches for the dead mutilated bodies of his family? And most of all, where is the scene where you stomp on her puppy and scoop up the remains with a piece of paper that has a holocaust denial written on it?!?!?!?

It's lazy. Not only is it only for shock value, but it isn't even powerful shock value.
Whilst I see your point, there is such a thing as making a statement with your storytelling, and going a bit over the top with it. Your idea might have been in the later camp if you were the writer I think. :p

SpaceGnome

Apr 23, 2009
i swear every time a CoD game comes out or some thing like CoD there is at least one CONTROVERSIAL scene, what you will probably realises is that this is just an attempt to get it on the news and publicise it.

Squiggers

May 10, 2008
Bitter Hobbit said:
I kinda feel that they are only doing this for some free publicity, like they did with No Russian level, not to show us the horrors of war. This is CoD you gun through more people then you can count in the game, you can't have us doing that one minute then trying to shock us with child death the next, it just makes it look cheap.
I'm not so sure I agree on that point. With Black Ops, there was a greater focus on plot than there had been in the past.

I mean, when I watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xjCdN_rWCE

I personally take from that there is a great emphasis on civilians in the first chunk of the trailer (in particular, the UK), more damage to civilian targets (like Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower), and more focus on a "total war" than there has been in the MW series so far. With that, you might get some greater focus on plot than there has been in the series. Something which I'd be rather glad for quite honestly, even if a lot of the audience for a COD game aren't so happy. (If i'm right that is - I'm probably not!)

TheLoveableMuffin

Jun 11, 2011
In all fairness, hands up if tried to kill kids in Fallout 3 or Fable and went 'oooooooh' when you realised they can't die?

And anyway I saw the proper thing before it got taken down and I think you don't actually see any gore. There's a boom, fuzzy camera effect, smoke, and then when the camera focuses the child and mum aren't there anymore. No where as bloody as No Russian.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
Nope just shocking to shock. In my opinion it isn't good story telling either. People die everyday she just happened to die a little early. I'm just saying (in games) I've killed literally billions of people and though sometimes I do feel bad for those I kill or even go out of my way not to kill, the fact is I've still killed billions of virtual lives. So what if this one life is just younger and besides I've killed kids before and it's no different (Flash games and technically limbo)

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
I think it's one of those issues that requires us to grow up and be mature as Gamers. Because there is no war that occurs in a country full of people, where at least ONE civilian gets caught in the crossfire. The fact that COD is showing something like this is rather a shove towards reality vs covering our heads with a blanket and telling us that mindless violence only affects the soldiers.

In MW2 they made a good example as well with the Airport mission, showing you whether you wanted or not (unless you skipped it), the realities of terrorism and the killing of non-combatants that occurs in real life (though maybe not that exact situation of course).