My Apple Gaming Troubles

xxmastermillerxx

Jul 12, 2009
Since the release of Half-Life 2 for mac I've been cursed with hours of laggy frustration! I bought the game with high hopes only to be crushed by terrible graphic quality and cutting sound. Getting as far as I could bare in the game I gave up on Steam for Mac. My hopes for computer gaming were re-ignited by TF2, I got it for a deal, downloaded it, installed it, and was severely, severely, disappointed, let's just say the lag is pretty intense. Now, I'm at my last straw... I purchased Starcraft 2, being the idiot that I am I thought that it would run perfectly fine, I mean, WoW runs perfectly, what could go wrong!? It looks like a lot could go wrong and did. If I set the game to what would be a reasonable graphics quality, the game would stutter like a slideshow. Giving up, I came here to write about it and ask for suggestions about what applications I could use to ease my gaming frustration. There's a lot out there I know, I could use bootcamp and just download windows, I could use parallels, crossover, etc. But I need help escapists! What would you suggest I use? Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I can play TF2 without a single problem on my Macbook Pro (2008). However, I didn't get the computer for gaming (neither should anyone get a Mac for gaming) so I consider anything I can play on it just a bonus.

Are you on a regular Macbook or something? Or just something old...
Don't tell me it's an Air.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Wow. I would say something, but I don't know the first thing about macs.

The last time I read anything about the matter, it was when intel based macs were introduced, and PC gamer was trying to find the perfect gaming laptop. (As in, one which was actually small enough to carry).

They had a macbook in their lineup, and used boot camp to run windows so that you could make a like for like comparison of the games...
Their conclusion was not particularly encouraging, but you'd hope matters have improved somewhat since then. (it was about 4 years ago.)
Basically, the performance of the mac running bootcamp was half that of a PC with an identical specification. What's worse, in that test, the macbook also cost twice as much as said PC laptop...

This is of course, of little practical help in getting a mac working decently for gaming.

Of course, the basics that apply to PC gaming also apply to mac gaming, in principle at least.

Eg. Is your hardware up to the task of the games you are trying to run? What's your internet connection like (for online games), What kind of graphics hardware, how fast is the processor...
Are the drivers up to date? Etc.

Anything else however, requires help from people that actually know something about macs. (unless you run windows, in which case the only quirk becomes mac-only hardware features, and how well they are supported in windows.)

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
I can't possibly imagine why your computer that can run World of Warcraft, a game that was released six years ago, cannot also run Starcraft II, a game that was released a month or two ago.

Seriously, though, it just sounds like you have an ancient computer. I have a macbook pro that's four and a half years old, and HL2 and TF2 work just fine on it in Boot Camp. I've never really tried them in steam for mac, but that's always going to be slower because optimized or not, it's a port.

Shihan2

Apr 14, 2009
I got my macbook pro a year ago and it runs everything just fine. I think you have an old comp or maybe not enough RAM to make things smooth enough.